Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA refused to check baggage on to final destination?

BA refused to check baggage on to final destination?

Old May 7, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL/UA
Question BA refused to check baggage on to final destination?

Hi Folks,

I was flying from SCL to (via BA) LHR to (via Aer Lingus) DUB, and at check-in they refused to check luggage onto the final destination. Is that normal? Our outward journey, DUB->LHR->GRU->SCL, had no issues with checking to final destination.

Based on the above experience, don't ever expect BA to check luggage to final destination, if BA is the first leg. I asked customer service, and they said they don't want to be liable for any luggage issues for other carriers.

Thanks,
LK.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is that all on one ticket? If not that is the correct position. If it is one ticket from SCL to DUB, and doesn't involve LGW, then it was the incorrect advice. Indeed the bigger problem in this forum is when agents absolutely insist the luggage is through checked! Getting your luggage in T5 is a nuisance but it probably won't hold you up much given that if EEA you can use the e-gates there rather than a potential queue at T2 UK and Ireland Connections. Best to use the tube for the connection rather than HEX, so you need a contactless card or App to get you through the gates. The trip is free.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
One ticket - they will
Two tickets - they won't
Old May 7, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL/UA
Wow, thanks for the fast responses. This was all on one ticket, one booking reference. The thing is the BA agents in LHR, thought it was strange, but after complaining to customer service after the trip, several weeks later got a call back and they said they were correct not to check the luggage through. For those saying it should have been checked through on one ticket, is there documentation available to prove that so I can go back to BA customer service?

Thanks,
LK.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:14 am

Oh dear. If one ticket and PNR, they should have been checked through without any issues.

Documentation available here: BA through check policy (select "I don't have an IATA number")
Old May 7, 2018, 7:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LeperKing
For those saying it should have been checked through on one ticket, is there documentation available to prove that so I can go back to BA customer service?
I wouldn't bother personally. The reality is that this forum is packed with people who fly monthly, weekly or even in some cases daily on BA, so these FTers simply see how this works on the ground. Some contact centre agents have never flown ever on any aircraft. So on the more finicky aspects of flying this forum is always going to beat the 10 second failure to attend to details. The advice given is correct in some circumstances, but not this one where BA and Aer Lingus swap hundreds of items of baggage at LHR every single day. The people who amuse me most are those who find out something here and then call the contact centres to hear something different!
Old May 7, 2018, 7:31 am

Sounds like you simply got a useless check-in agent.

Unless this caused you real problems such as a missed connection, I wouldn’t bother pursuing it any further with BA - you’ll likely just get more frustrated.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LeperKing
I asked customer service, and they said they don't want to be liable for any luggage issues for other carriers.
That answer you got makes no sense at all. They need to be retrained.

On one single ticket, so long as there are non-interlining carriers involved, your luggage is checked from first to final destination (not to complicate with stopovers, etc). In fact, it is the final operating carrier who has the responsibility to reunite you with your luggage, even if they never actually touched the bag.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I think the point I would make is that armed with the knowledge that BA should through check and interline luggage if the journey is on a single ticket, I would make a fuss at the outstation, should this occur again, asking to see the BA station manager if necessary.

Pursuing this through customer service now won’t change much, unless you really want an admission that an agent got it wrong and a bit of an apology for any inconvenience. Since it didn’t cause you to misconnect, I suspect a written apology is as far as you’ll get.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not worth any effort. It's simply wrong and going back and forth with BA won't change it.

Is there any remote chance that OP, even though he states that he was on a single ticket, was on a single PNR and has a separate e-ticket for the last segment? That may happen if ticketed by a TA, although OP should have been told by the TA, but sometimes not.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:19 am

Deleted.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does this principle apply to all mixed One World itineraries?

I am flying BKK - HKG (with CX) and then onto AMS via LHR (with BA) all on one ticket. The BA agent that booked the flight said CX would through check my baggage from BKK to AMS, but he didn't sound certain. I have a 3 hr connection in HKG, so worst case I guess there is time to collect my bags and check back in.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Agent69

I am flying BKK - HKG (with CX) and then onto AMS via LHR (with BA) all on one ticket. The BA agent that booked the flight said CX would through check my baggage from BKK to AMS, but he didn't sound certain. I have a 3 hr connection in HKG, so worst case I guess there is time to collect my bags and check back in.

Hi

If you provide your BA flight details at CX check in they should be able to get the bags tagged to LHR on separate tickets.

I had a HKG-LHR flight on CX and a 5 hour layover at LHR before BA LHR -EDI on a separate ticket and I asked at check in at the hong Kong station and the CX agent tagged it all the way to EDI with no problems ( I even got the BA boarding passes)

PS sorry I misread- if on one ticket CX will check through.

Regards

TBS
Old May 7, 2018, 9:32 am

I am flying BKK - HKG (with CX) and then onto AMS via LHR (with BA) all on one ticket. .
That should go all the way through, no issue hopefully, but note that at HKG, BA and CX are on different systems, so you should double check in the Cathay lounge (airside) or BA transfer desk (before main security at the front of the airport) that your bag has been connected in correctly.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

It absolutely should.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.