Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA refused to check baggage on to final destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA refused to check baggage on to final destination?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
I did that yesterday - Qatar from HKG to LHR via DOH, then onto BA up to GLA. 2 separate tickets, 3 hr layover at LHR, asked nicely and they tagged the bag all the way and gave me all BPs. Checked when arriving at LHR to make sure it was on the system, and indeed it was. Helpful when they do it, but not really any issues in collecting and checking in again - in my experience it doesn't take too much longer.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayBDG
I did that yesterday - Qatar from HKG to LHR via DOH, then onto BA up to GLA. 2 separate tickets, 3 hr layover at LHR, asked nicely and they tagged the bag all the way and gave me all BPs. Checked when arriving at LHR to make sure it was on the system, and indeed it was. Helpful when they do it, but not really any issues in collecting and checking in again - in my experience it doesn't take too much longer.
QR (who you checked the bag with) do have a policy of checking bags through on to separate tickets.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-us/a.../oneworld.html

see under "seamless service" tab:

Qatar Airways is pleased to offer passengers the courtesy of through check of themselves and their bags to their final destination when travelling on multi-sector journeys involving connections onto other oneworld member airlines, even when the trip is booked using separate tickets.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
QR (who you checked the bag with) do have a policy of checking bags through on to separate tickets.
That's handy to know. Frustrating that if one OW carrier can do it...
Old May 7, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That should go all the way through, no issue hopefully, but note that at HKG, BA and CX are on different systems, so you should double check in the Cathay lounge (airside) or BA transfer desk (before main security at the front of the airport) that your bag has been connected in correctly.
Thanks for that.

So the moral of the story is check where your bags are before getting too comfortable in the lounge.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:33 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Agent69
Thanks for that.

So the moral of the story is check where your bags are before getting too comfortable in the lounge.
I did that on LH once at MUC. Checked with LH staff and they said it was in MUC. Three hours later I check it is loaded on my flight to FCO and I found out that it is still in OSL, never loaded on the first plane. LH failed to respond to any feedback at all even though CC on FCO flight gave me a form and assured me that I would hear back. 8 years on, I've only been on a LH plane once since then.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot

PS sorry I misread- if on one ticket CX will check through.
And even on separate PNRs/Tickets, CX will check through to their interline partners which includes oneworld carriers.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL/UA
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I think the point I would make is that armed with the knowledge that BA should through check and interline luggage if the journey is on a single ticket, I would make a fuss at the outstation, should this occur again, asking to see the BA station manager if necessary.

Pursuing this through customer service now won’t change much, unless you really want an admission that an agent got it wrong and a bit of an apology for any inconvenience. Since it didn’t cause you to misconnect, I suspect a written apology is as far as you’ll get.
Indeed. Forewarned is forearmed. Bizarrely enough, customer service are circling the wagons with their last response. "I understand you've read through our Terms and Conditions about our baggage policies. I can understand your frustration as you knew you had a through ticket. I can confirm your within you itinerary there were four different operating carriers. As each individual carrier have their own baggage rules including different weights and dimensions, you are required to check you baggage in for each flight where the operator is different from the last. " British Airways Customer Relations

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Sounds like you simply got a useless check-in agent.

Unless this caused you real problems such as a missed connection, I wouldn’t bother pursuing it any further with BA - you’ll likely just get more frustrated.
Originally Posted by LeperKing
Bizarrely enough, customer service are circling the wagons with their last response. "I understand you've read through our Terms and Conditions about our baggage policies. I can understand your frustration as you knew you had a through ticket. I can confirm your within you itinerary there were four different operating carriers. As each individual carrier have their own baggage rules including different weights and dimensions, you are required to check you baggage in for each flight where the operator is different from the last. " British Airways Customer Relations
Well, I did warn you. And I'm now frustrated on your behalf!

I am very much against corporal punishment, but sometimes one does wonder...
Old May 26, 2018, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a bunch of idiots.
orbitmic and Ldnn1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.