Do I upgrade?

Old May 6, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Silver, BonVoy - Abassador Elite, HH - Diamond
Do I upgrade?

I am flying out on BA0173 on Wednesday and had a good offer to upgrade to WT to WT+. However I am in bulkhead aisle in WT and when I looked on EF to see what was available in the WT+ cabin everything is showing as occupied? I don't want to buy the upgrade and risk the middle seat! Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited by gemcan83; May 6, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you're silver, you can choose a seat, obviously, and you'll be a little ahead of the masses if you do it now.

BA173 (LHR->JFK) isn't a long flight, it's daytime, and I'd have no qualms about doing it in WT to be honest. You'll get marginally better food and a slightly more comfortable seat plus a few more tier points. It wouldn't be at the top of my priorities to upgrade unless it's very inexpensive or I was short of TPs for a renewal.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
You must be in 40C. In WT+ 33K shows available though blocked. It should unblock if you have status. Otherwise it’s a bit of a gamble indeed as otherwise there are only 3 middle seats left... depends how much you value the tier points!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The BA173 is the LHR-JFK flight.

How much is the upgrade? However giving up a bulkhead seat for a potential middle WT+ might not be beneficial ( discounting the fact that there could be a potential upgrade to CW if the lower cabins are full).

I would probably be tempted to stay put.

Regards

TBS

Expert flyer says no WT+ seats available except middle ones, that might clinch it I guess.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Expert flyer says no WT+ seats available except middle ones, that might clinch it I guess.
how strange, I see 33k, bulkhead window
Old May 6, 2018, 1:03 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
One of my rules when considering these was if it involved any possibility of moving from my first choice aisle to a middle, I'd stay where I was.

Middle seats are too much of a no-no in WT or WT+.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

how strange, I see 33k, bulkhead window
Yes, I'd missed that - my mistake - I usually think of window seats in WT+ as undesirable so I kind of filter them out, however I think that might be an exit row? I think it would be tricky to get.

As there's space in Business, you'd imagine that there will be some shuffling around and you could take a chance that someone in an aisle will be shifted up. But personally I wouldn't bother - it's an expensive meal essentially and a gamble at a reasonable seat and I'd spend the money on a better expensive meal on the other side.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Personally wouldn’t do it unless you’re in need of extra TPs

Tuf
Old May 6, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a middle in WT+ LHR-DME and thought it significantly better than a economy seat, bulk head or not. If you like legroom you can actually stretch out fully which isn’t always possible at the bulkhead. Would snap it up.

Last edited by Swanhunter; May 6, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I'd predicate this mostly on cost v uplift in TPs - could be a bargain for +70 but a bit crap for +20. Depends on need for TPs too, of course. On a short westbound flight I wouldn't be too worried by a middle WTP, but that's me.
holloway1000 likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Silver, BonVoy - Abassador Elite, HH - Diamond
Hmm. good points guys. I am tempted by taking it with the chance of a bump to CW, which has happened a few times for me. Whether I want to risk it for potentially a middle seat is the question!

I think bulkhead window is blocked because it's a bassinet seat?
Old May 6, 2018, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gemcan83
I think bulkhead window is blocked because it's a bassinet seat?
No, they're in the middle. It may be blocked by a Goldie in 33J. But if someone else gets into WTP s/he will lose that TS block. As for the chance of an upgrade, WT doesn't look sold out to me, and though I think some people will be upgraded, it's not going to be the entire WTP cabin as sometimes happens on Super Js on that route. Personally I'd certainly consider doing it if I knew I could watch the seat map over the next few days to nab 33K if / when it comes up. 33J would probably be pushed forward anyway.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I hate bulkheads due to the lack of legroom so I’d take it.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL
You might find it's a glitch, which often happens. If you attempt the upgrade it may fail.

Best route, IMO, is get on Twitter and query if it's a genuine offer and which seats are available.

But time is against you if there's only the one seat - people will be trying to snap it up.

Another thing I always weigh into the WT-WTP upgrade is that, in instances like this, if WTP doesn't load enough food for a full cabin or ends up brokenly overbooking then they'll have to bump someone somewhere... happened to me on a BOS-LHR, just sayin' (that whole trip was £510pp including the hotel for 3x nights and managed to score CW return by wonderful/semi-hopeful calculated accident). Never to be considered a guarantee by any measure, but you never know.

Lastly: it's LHR-JFK on a 747. They're fairly shonky old birds, having just done the flight last Thursday, so don't expect much of the entertainment system (crew and food was great though).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.