Search

Back to back at AMS

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Back to back at AMS

hi

I've got an ex-AMS flight to BKK via LHR (thanks to this forum), obviously I need to get to AMS in the first place, which is where my question finds its roots.

The AMS-LHR departs at 1105 so Ive got a choice between arriving in AMS at 0915, or saving £100 and arriving into AMS on the next flight at 1015. All flights are BA

I have a few questions:
1. is the 1015 arrival the same plane as the 1105 departure?
2. Do I have time to get back on to it? I will have checked baggage which I think makes it a bit riskier
3. if I miss the AMS-LHR connection, will my LHR-BKK be cancelled? I think there's a few more flights out of AMS which would get me back to LHR before 1505 (the dept time of the BKK flight)

I am currently erring on the side of caution and looking at paying the extra £100 to go earlier
Old May 5, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by patsharp
hi

I've got an ex-AMS flight to BKK via LHR (thanks to this forum), obviously I need to get to AMS in the first place, which is where my question finds its roots.

The AMS-LHR departs at 1105 so Ive got a choice between arriving in AMS at 0915, or saving £100 and arriving into AMS on the next flight at 1015. All flights are BA

I have a few questions:
1. is the 1015 arrival the same plane as the 1105 departure?
2. Do I have time to get back on to it? I will have checked baggage which I think makes it a bit riskier
3. if I miss the AMS-LHR connection, will my LHR-BKK be cancelled? I think there's a few more flights out of AMS which would get me back to LHR before 1505 (the dept time of the BKK flight)

I am currently erring on the side of caution and looking at paying the extra £100 to go earlier
​​​​​​Check your bags at LHR for the longhaul to BKK before doing a b2b at AMS which involves walking off the plane and waiting at the gate to reboard it....simples
Old May 5, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Perfect, I hadn't realised that would be an option. Thanks!
Old May 5, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Having done the luggage trick @teledude advised you above, don't forget to print your boarding pass (or download it) before leaving for AMS, amd there'll be more time in the lounge, which is one of the finest BA have in the Netherlands
dajdavies and x229cle like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If you are doing a B2B at AMS then you really don’t have time for the lounge. It takes almost 10 minutes to walk there from the gate and 10 to walk back add gate close time of 20 minutes.

seriously I’m not kidding it is a long walk to/from the lounge.

On the OPs point 3 if you did happen to miss the return (I.e. the start of your BKK trip) then BA likely wont rebook you onto a later flight to LHR. As far as they are concerned you will be a no show. If there were some massive iropps they may be more sympathetic but not in general.

on 2 you wouldn’t have any chance with bags. Bag delivery at AMS is slow and BA deadline is checkin etc 60 minutes before the flight. Without bags no problem as when you get off your are in the gate area anyway as arrivals and departures aren’t separated at AMS so no security or immigration yiu just get back on.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If you are doing a B2B at AMS then you really don’t have time for the lounge. It takes almost 10 minutes to walk there from the gate and 10 to walk back add gate close time of 20 minutes.

seriously I’m not kidding it is a long walk to/from the lounge.
+1 to this! Must be the longest lounge to gate walk at any BA outstation I've been to!
Old May 5, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by onobond
Having done the luggage trick @teledude advised you above, don't forget to print your boarding pass (or download it) before leaving for AMS, amd there'll be more time in the lounge, which is one of the finest BA have in the Netherlands
Oh, yes indeed! And the food offering in there always leaves me lost for words!
Old May 5, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by BA0197
+1 to this! Must be the longest lounge to gate walk at any BA outstation I've been to!
Unless you are on the 1st flight of the day into AMS & it's return in which case it's quite short!
Old May 6, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
check out the B2B thread as well in the future: Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations

as others have said, taking luggage on the AMS rotation is a bad idea. and B2B is less risky (especially at AMS which is dead easy as there's a non-schepgen area) than a flight that gets you there 2 hours earlier.

either check in bags for you BKK or leave them at 'hold luggage' (in arrivals) at LHR and pick them up when you re back from AMS to then check them in.

and just to answer 3), yes, if you miss your AMS LHR, all subsequent sectors will be cancelled even if you get yourself on another flight somehow to LHR (unless BA rebooks you onto that flight as part of your BKK ticket). so the issue isn't turning up in time for your LHR BKK flight, the issue is that a missed sector cancels the rest of the ticket.

good luck (AMS is dead easy) and enjoy the trip.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:47 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by teledude
​​​​​​Check your bags at LHR for the longhaul to BKK before doing a b2b at AMS which involves walking off the plane and waiting at the gate to reboard it....simples
Can you reliably request this? You won’t get refused?
Old May 6, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by sxc
I am unaware of anyone including myself being refused
Old May 6, 2018, 3:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sxc
Some FTers have been refused. Always best to have a Plan B. Moreover we haven't had one single successful report from anyone who has tried this on the self service machines yet, that I have spotted.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:38 am

I have been refused, and insisted upon that bags got sent to AMS on my positioning flight (which was a B2B).

Caused a whole host of issues. Ultimately got my bags 3 days later, on the other side of the World.

Have a backup plan in place, and ALWAYS check the tags before your bags disappear down the belt!

Last edited by Virazuno; May 6, 2018 at 3:57 am
Old May 6, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Some FTers have been refused. Always best to have a Plan B. Moreover we haven't had one single successful report from anyone who has tried this on the self service machines yet, that I have spotted.
And it's worth adding that at the OLCI stage, on the main ticket, never select that you have bags to check in, instead going for 'Not sure' as OLCI will create bag records from the origin in FLY which can create a whole new world of pain at check in if it takes you over your allowance checking the same number in at the midpoint. I know of a few people who have had to wait at check in for over an hour for it to be fixed...
patsharp likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:24 am
Original Poster

thanks all.

For 2 weeks in asia I might just get one of the enormous "hand luggage" bags that irritate me so much watching people struggle to shove them into the overhead bins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.