Back to back at AMS

Old Dec 12, 18, 2:21 am

I've just booked AMS-LHR-CPT (returning from JNB) in J for family holiday in August with Mrs Muttley and children (10 and 12) for a great price!

19:15 AMS - LHR T5 (BA 441)
21:40 LHR T3 - CPT (BA 59)

I understand there's risk with ex-EU trips but I've survived a few ex-DUBs solo and with the family before. Whilst I wait for CE reward seats to open up on the LHR-AMS positioning flight, wondering whether B2B is the right thing to do with wife and family in tow or instead to set out earlier in the day and catch the train into town for some lunch before heading back to catch our AMS-LHR flight. I understand the logic of being on the same plane used for the AMS-LHR and LHR-AMS flights but I guess a risk is weather or tech issue delaying the AMS-LHR causing us to miss the LHR-CPT. Also need to drag the family between T5 and T3.

With family would you still go for the B2B or take an earlier flight to AMS? Perhaps I'm overly flapping!
Old Dec 12, 18, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Onyx Platinum
My wife and I just did this trip AMS - BKK for the first time, I understand it is a little late for you PatSharp (good in the Jungle BTW), but for others that feel the caution we did as ex EU virgins we flew the night before and stayed at the AMS Hilton. Not air side but a 5-10 minute walk and you take the trolley right up to the hotel. The hotel is satisfactory, if we do it again I would book the Sheraton slightly closer and better rated.
Old Dec 12, 18, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
19:15 AMS - LHR T5 (BA 441)
21:40 LHR T3 - CPT (BA 59)

... I understand the logic of being on the same plane used for the AMS-LHR and LHR-AMS flights but I guess a risk is weather or tech issue delaying the AMS-LHR causing us to miss the LHR-CPT. Also need to drag the family between T5 and T3.
What's your plan for the checked bags, assuming that a family holiday requires bags to be checked?

If you have checked bags, that is likely to be a big factor in what you're going to do, given all the risks inherent in an ex-EU with a short connection at LHR.
Old Dec 12, 18, 4:16 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
When I have done this kind of trip (most recently three weeks ago) I have gone out the night before and stayed overnight at the Hilton as previous poster mentioned. I think it is a nice property and it is new, as opposed to the Sheraton. Just one thing to note is that the hotel is not very well signposted from where you exit arrivals.
Going the night before and staying over night with your flight times should allow for almost a full day in the city so I think that is definitely worth considering.
Old Dec 12, 18, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
What's your plan for the checked bags, assuming that a family holiday requires bags to be checked?

If you have checked bags, that is likely to be a big factor in what you're going to do, given all the risks inherent in an ex-EU with a short connection at LHR.
We'll have hold luggage, so I was planning to use the bag-drop at LHR for the CPT segment, before getting on the LHR-AMS flight. Guess for this to work it will depend how many hours before the CPT flight I'm allowed to do the bag-drop.
Old Dec 12, 18, 4:44 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Flying Club = from 5am the day of the flight
Old Dec 12, 18, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Does this apply at T3 as well?
Old Dec 12, 18, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Although just to note as the OP's LHR-CPT flight is from T3 they would have to bag drop at T3, they couldn't bag drop at T5 for a T3 flight.

My personal opinion is just do the b2b. The OP is concerned about the time between arriving back from AMS and connecting to the CPT flight, but doing a b2b or doing an earlier LHR-AMS won't change that.
Old Dec 12, 18, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold AA Lifetime Gold
I would have, and have before, done the B2B the night before, arriving back at LHR at 2130 leaving a, just, sub 24hr connection.

Spike
Old Dec 12, 18, 5:02 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Does this apply at T3 as well?
Yes

T3 pages on website

(And for completeness it's 03.30 at LGW)
Old Dec 12, 18, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Although just to note as the OP's LHR-CPT flight is from T3 they would have to bag drop at T3, they couldn't bag drop at T5 for a T3 flight.

My personal opinion is just do the b2b. The OP is concerned about the time between arriving back from AMS and connecting to the CPT flight, but doing a b2b or doing an earlier LHR-AMS won't change that.
That throws a spanner in the works. So before the LHR-AMS positioning flight, I would need to T3 bag-drop for CPT leg, then get back to T5?

I'm still within the 24 hours cool-off period on the BA booking, thinking it's worth reviewing the routing and re-booking.
Old Dec 12, 18, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
That throws a spanner in the works. So before the LHR-AMS positioning flight, I would need to T3 bag-drop for CPT leg, then get back to T5?

I'm still within the 24 hours cool-off period on the BA booking, thinking it's worth reviewing the routing and re-booking.
Yes, and although I've checked bags for the LH sector ahead of the EU B2B flights on a couple of occasions without problems, I understand it's not guaranteed. So you'd best think about a plan B in case they are refused.
Old Dec 12, 18, 8:21 am

I think in this case, with luggage (and family), I'll position us to AMS on an early flight giving time to collect baggage and then check the luggage back in AMS-LHR-CPT. If it's wasn't for the T3 complexity, I would of gone for the B2B.

What are the earliest baggage check-in times at AMS for BA flights to LHR?
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I have managed to check in a bag 5 hours before a flight in AMS before, but I don't know whether flying in CE & being GGL influenced that.
Old Dec 12, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was on a BA flight yesterday from AMS. It departed from D26 and it's quite a bit of a walk between the BA Lounge and the gate.

if you have any spare time (which you probably won't), it's worth checking out the "man clock" in the D central area. It's where a man, rubs out & paints the hands on the clock. Quite fascinating.

Search this Thread