Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew - keep doing what you're doing!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 2:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

BA gets a lot of stick on this board, and while sometimes it is deserved, there are elements of the airline which make it truly wonderful.

For me, the reason I am happy to continue paying money to BA, is for their crews.

Now yes, many of us have read 'horror stories' of crews being too slow, too loud, or plain unhelpful, but these are fewer and further between than they used to be.

I, for example, have just come off an MF operated 777 from MAD. The crew were marvellous, and were headed up by a CSM who usually spends his time in the Crew Training Centre (opposed to on-board).

Nothing was too much trouble, and the crew members around him were equally brilliant - 3 Golden Tickets were given out to 3 members of the team.

Thanks to the crew on BA461 yesterday, and to S, G, and J!

M
Old May 5, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'll echo that, a recent morning flight to Kiev in CE was truly exceptional. Seating and onboard product was passable but the crew elevated the experience to a much higher level.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
At the risk of turning this into a me too thread, I'll echo those sentiments. Whether MF, EF, WW or Gatwick, I consistently find BA crews to be good to excellent.

On one particular wet and miserable January day this year, I boarded a heaving 767 up to EDI, several hours after our intended but cancelled flight was due. Suffice to say my mood was not bright. By the time I'd stepped off the plane, I was smiling and that's entirely due to a superbly polished performance by a CSD and his team on top of their game. That was the booking that got me gold so sadly no ticket to give, but thank yous sent via ba.com
Sealink, Tobias-UK and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:45 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
BA gets a lot of stick on this board, and while sometimes it is deserved, there are elements of the airline which make it truly wonderful.

For me, the reason I am happy to continue paying money to BA, is for their crews.

Now yes, many of us have read 'horror stories' of crews being too slow, too loud, or plain unhelpful, but these are fewer and further between than they used to be.

M
I totally concur. This is my experience on 99.9% of my flights
Sealink and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Competent crews, fairly normal. Bad crews, quite unusual. Experience enhancing crews, also quite unusual. When you get one it's great, but it's not all that common in my experience. It's quite patchy.

In comparison with other airlines they're pretty much on par though.
orbitmic, hugolover, Ldnn1 and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I totally concur. This is my experience on 99.9% of my flights
If you have had truly wonderful crews on 99.9% of your flights, I would guess that you are in a cohort of about 0.1% of regular flyers.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You get these examples of excellent crews, but you also get the examples where the cabin crew is sitting happily texting on their phone in the jump seat by door 2R on an A321 while the passengers are disembarking. Or doing their makeup in the same place and time.

Crews are far too inconsistent if you ask me.
hugolover and nivsy like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:53 am

One hundred and ten percent agree that BA crews need more praise after today!

I’m not long off yesterday’s BA93 to YYZ in First. Great flight, young and enthusiastic mixed fleet crew headed by a really impressive CSM called Sophie. Nothing too much trouble. The hours flew by (pun intended).

Then the drama started. Major storms in Toronto yesterday and winds of 119 kph recorded at YYZ, meaning airport was closed on and off throughout the day. We circled for half an hour to let the storm pass before (said the captain) trying to be ready for the approach twice without success. We must have been flying around above YYZ in pretty bad conditions for more than an hour.

On our first proper approach attempt we were jostled around all over the place all the way down. At just under 2,000 feet captain decided had to do a go around. Cabin crew (who was in cockpit jumpseat) told me that this was because an Air France just ahead had aborted because of the wind, and the airport then closed.

We then had insufficient fuel to hang around so were diverted to Detroit to refuel and sit it out. Finally made it back to YYZ at around 2130 (5.5 hours late) and after the later BA99.

Cabin crew were outstanding throughout, keeping people (some of whom genuinely terrified) calm and with good humour. I know mixed fleet is sometimes give a hard time, but if this poise, confidence and service level is the future of BA then I’m in.

It also turns out that this way the CSM’s safety check (?) flight. Top marks as far as I’m concerned.

OUF

(Long time lurker, newbie poster)
Old May 5, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

I, for example, have just come off an MF operated 777 from MAD. The crew were marvellous, and were headed up by a CSM who usually spends his time in the Crew Training Centre (opposed to on-board).

Nothing was too much trouble, and the crew members around him were equally brilliant - 3 Golden Tickets were given out to 3 members of the team.

Thanks to the crew on BA461 yesterday, and to S, G, and J!

M
Notwithstanding the posts that follows the Ops opening, if CSD was a trainer then is it not obvious that rest of crew were at very least going to try quite hard for their own interest?..just sayin',...
hugolover likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by outupfront
(Long time lurker, newbie poster)
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum outupfront. What an interesting first contribution too! I hope we will see more of you here and thanks very much for joining up with us today.
Hilde likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:49 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

If you have had truly wonderful crews on 99.9% of your flights, I would guess that you are in a cohort of about 0.1% of regular flyers.
perhaps its the way I engage with them from the first contact.
Padmeister, Ldnn1 and lostinlondon like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:32 am

I think I know the CSM the OP is referring to and, yes, he really is fantastic. I’ve had the pleasure of being trained by him in TBC and having flown with him; he really does motivate the team. A good CSM can make all the difference, especially on a day such as the MAD.
Glad you hold BA Crew in high regard, 99.9% of us really do try our hardest and are proud of what we do. Positive feedback makes it slightly more worthwhile.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by nivsy
Notwithstanding the posts that follows the Ops opening, if CSD was a trainer then is it not obvious that rest of crew were at very least going to try quite hard for their own interest?..just sayin',...
People who say 'just saying' rarely are! Can't you allow credit where it is due?
Andriyko, HIDDY, flygirl68 and 5 others like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
There is a tendency for people to confuse the actions of the crew, who with rare exception, are hard working and professional under very difficult conditions, with the 'enhancements' dictated by administrative powers. In every job there are exceptions but, as someone who 'hops the pond' on a fairly regular basis, I have nothing but praise for the cabin staff on BA and, wherever possible, will choose BA over AA (in spite of the better lounge choices in T3).
Old May 5, 2018, 7:41 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by MFCC
I think I know the CSM the OP is referring to and, yes, he really is fantastic. I’ve had the pleasure of being trained by him in TBC and having flown with him; he really does motivate the team. A good CSM can make all the difference, especially on a day such as the MAD.
Glad you hold BA Crew in high regard, 99.9% of us really do try our hardest and are proud of what we do. Positive feedback makes it slightly more worthwhile.
The CSM is into obstacle running (ToughMudder etc), and is about to embark on a triathlon.

He classified being onboard, as his 'day out of the office'!

Really nice chap.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.