Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I sit in 62K (747 Upper Deck) if my kids and spouse are in NON exit seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I sit in 62K (747 Upper Deck) if my kids and spouse are in NON exit seats?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Can I sit in exit 62K (747 Upper Deck) if my kids and spouse are in NON exit seats?

Dear All,

I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids (12 and 10) on a BA 747 and we have seats on the Upper Deck. Seat 62K is available (as is 62J). I would like to take both of those seats for my wife and I and have two non exit row seats for my kids (61 J and K)

What is BA's policy of adults being able to sit in an Exit row, if they are traveling with kids? American Airlines does not allow it and will not even let you select an exit seat if you are traveling with someone younger than 16 (or 18)

However, BA.com seems to have NO issue letting me select that seat. Is this a limitation of the BA website? I do not want to pick that seat only to have (at the time of boarding or check-in) that seat taken away and being sat somewhere away from my family, even on a different deck

If someone has any insight into this matter I would greatly appreciate it

Many thanks in advance!

Warm Regards,

Panjabi

Last edited by panjabi; May 4, 2018 at 5:57 pm Reason: Make it more clear
Old May 4, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I have done something similar in the past and it was nonissue. The computer beeped but I think it was just the usual emergency exit message and the check in agent explicitly checked we had non emergency seats for the kids.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
BA's definition of parent next to child including ahead / behind row and age 12 for emergency row exit means you should be fine even if you have to put the older child next to your wife in exit row: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating/paid-seating-terms. And that has been my experience, albeit not on UD.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Put your Children in the seats you want. Put adults in the exit seats.
Swap seats after seat belt signs extinguished. Swap back at 20ins to landing.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by panjabi
Dear All,

I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids (12 and 10) on a BA 747 and we have seats on the Upper Deck. Seat 62K is available (as is 62J). I would like to take both of those seats for my wife and I and have two non exit row seats for my kids (61 J and K)

What is BA's policy of adults being able to sit in an Exit row, if they are traveling with kids? American Airlines does not allow it and will not even let you select an exit seat if you are traveling with someone younger than 16 (or 18)

However, BA.com seems to have NO issue letting me select that seat. Is this a limitation of the BA website? I do not want to pick that seat only to have (at the time of boarding or check-in) that seat taken away and being sat somewhere away from my family, even on a different deck

If someone has any insight into this matter I would greatly appreciate it

Many thanks in advance!

Warm Regards,

Panjabi
12 Year olds are allowed to sit in exit rows, so only your youngest is excluded.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flyerkit

Why ?
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t understand how this addresses the OP’s question.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

I don’t understand how this addresses the OP’s question.
Presumably it allows the family to get all 4 seats they want while placing adults on exit seats if required. Good news seems to be that the children are old enough anyway.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:09 am

Presumably it allows the family to get all 4 seats they want while placing adults on exit seats if required. Good news seems to be that the children are old enough anyway.
But.... On rereading I probably misunderstood the requirement...
Old May 5, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
I have done something similar in the past and it was nonissue. The computer beeped but I think it was just the usual emergency exit message and the check in agent explicitly checked we had non emergency seats for the kids
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
BA's definition of parent next to child including ahead / behind row and age 12 for emergency row exit means you should be fine even if you have to put the older child next to your wife in exit row: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-seating-terms. And that has been my experience, albeit not on UD.
Originally Posted by rapidex
12 Year olds are allowed to sit in exit rows, so only your youngest is excluded.
Dear All,

Thank you for your prompt replies. I will go ahead and get this set up as per your suggestions and hope it all works out.

Have a great weekend!

Warm Regards,

Panjabi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.