Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security interview (after CAI-LHR before allowing LHR-JFK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeland Security interview (after CAI-LHR before allowing LHR-JFK)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by megaloman
If you have UK passport, than you should always enter the UK with UK passport.
Possibly because your husband needs assistance? Some us citizens come to uk to use NHS for medical conditions, so likely length of stay is important factor on admission. I entered with a us citizen in a wheelchair and even I was questioned about whether they were going to get treatment....
Old May 5, 2018, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I’ve had my fair share of journeys to the secondary, fortunately now stopped after I obtained a Redress number. This started after I was denied Global Entry with no reason given. I was so worried about it that I engaged an attorney who, after digging around, concluded that there must have been a clerical error somewhere in the GE application process. Subsequently my ESTA renewal went smoothly, I’ve not (touch wood) had another visit to the room but I always get an X across the sheet of paper.

Having said that, they have always been professional and courteous and, in the days of the little room, always seemed puzzled as to why I was there. But I no longer relax on the flight to the USA as there’s a residual dread about my reception!
Old May 5, 2018, 5:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by megaloman
If you have UK passport, than you should always enter the UK with UK passport.
Originally Posted by Airprox
It’s not mandatory though, unlike the US.
Yes, on both points, but it may be worth explaining the key difference here. If you enter on a UK or other EEA passport (and a few other obscure examples) you have the right of entry into the UK. The Border Force aren't able to stop your entry, even if your passport is expired, covered in Syrian stamps, damaged or even theoretically you have no documents at all. The only thing that the Border Force can do is ensure that you are who you say you are. If you seek entry on a USA passport (etc) then the Border Force are in a totally different logic, namely whether you as an immigrant are correctly seeking entry within policy, and the BF officer, acting on delegated powers from the Home Secretary, can deny entry if you are unable to satisfy the officer that you are within policy..
Old May 5, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I love going to the USA and I like the vast majority of its citizens.
I used to "commute" there rather a lot, and have been fortunate to generally meet nice agents at passport control.

I have a question. How much of your personal history of visits/visas can the agents see on their machines? I sometimes wonder whether I get an easy ride because I used to go there so much - and at one stage my lords and masters acquired a visa for me to live there. I did not use the visa, and it is now on an old passport.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by flyerkit
Possibly because your husband needs assistance? Some us citizens come to uk to use NHS for medical conditions, so likely length of stay is important factor on admission. I entered with a us citizen in a wheelchair and even I was questioned about whether they were going to get treatment....
Appreciate the comments regarding dual nationals entering the UK. Even if travelling with my husband I'll use my UK passport in the future! Interesting comments about abuse of the NHS - hadn't thought about that. Given the reports of delays and staff shortages that would be furthest from my thoughts. Always learn something new from all of you, thanks.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I love going to the USA and I like the vast majority of its citizens.
I used to "commute" there rather a lot, and have been fortunate to generally meet nice agents at passport control.

I have a question. How much of your personal history of visits/visas can the agents see on their machines? I sometimes wonder whether I get an easy ride because I used to go there so much - and at one stage my lords and masters acquired a visa for me to live there. I did not use the visa, and it is now on an old passport.
I suspect they have a full history of all your entries/exit to/from the US, visa applications, etc, etc. Interestingly a couple of years ago when my daughter was visiting us in the US, the officer slipped 'Oh, I know where your dad works!' - so not just limited to the individual!
Old May 5, 2018, 9:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I think you can assume that they know quite a bit about you, albeit with the usual data glitches that will happen over time. As you get older it gets easier anyway, you move further out of the risk groups. I was asked a year ago about my time in college ("gee my son went to your college") even though that happened well over 3 decades ago, but I would have renewed a B1/B2 visa while I was in college.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
CKBA - I once hired someone on the strength of the reference that an HRD in a seriously big Corporate gave about the person's father!

CWS - yup, I assume so, but maybe it is just baldness and greyness that makes me OK to Passport folks.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by CKBA
I suspect they have a full history of all your entries/exit to/from the US, visa applications, etc, etc. Interestingly a couple of years ago when my daughter was visiting us in the US, the officer slipped 'Oh, I know where your dad works!' - so not just limited to the individual!
You say that: but they had no idea I had a second UK passport with a US visa in it. Not until I arrived in the USA and was searched.
Calchas likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
You say that: but they had no idea I had a second UK passport with a US visa in it. Not until I arrived in the USA and was searched.
Wanna bet ?
Old May 7, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I wonder exactly what information is available and to whom, especially by the UK. On my wife's last visit to the UK (we go at least twice each year) she was entering with a fresh Brazilian passport (her previous had expired) and was asked by the Border Control at T5 is this was her first visit. I expressed surprise at this as I had assumed even with a new passport, passenger information was stored in a database. I asked the officer if she was able to see her previous travel history on the screen and the answer was no.

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; May 7, 2018 at 2:43 am
Old May 7, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
I expressed surprise at this as I had assumed even with a new passport, passenger information was stored in a database. I asked the officer if she was able to see her previous travel history on the screen and the answer was no.
There has been several major updates of IT within the UK Border Force and that seems to be causing problems. As has long been the case all over the world, if you come from a country where overstaying is an issue (and Brazilians have a poor track record in the UK, Portugal and Spain) it is always best to bring your immediately expired passport and have it visible when you get to the BF officer's desk. Regardless of nationality, for those who use visas for the USA this also applies (not ESTA travellers) since the visa may still be valid, in US terms, in an otherwise expired passport. Visitors from places like India and the Philippines often have this done to a T, they will often travel with a stack of passports taped together.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
First experience of EX-CAI itinerary to US with enhanced security!!!!!

Well, I had my first experience of SSSS yesterday at the start of my first ever Ex-CAI to Hawaii trip. Read this forum before, so knew what to expect. Flew BA from CAI-LHR and then AA after that.
Once we landed at T5 at LHR, the AA agent at the transfer asked us about the trip and acknowledged that people were doing this and even knew it was cheaper to do. Transferred to T3 by bus and security was straight forward and had lovely lunch at the Cathay Pacific lounge since I knew what was going to be coming.
Got to gate as soon as it opened 45 minutes before boarding and as expected told to wait since someone needs to speak to me and they had to ring someone.
A nice lady in a suit came in 5 mins and we had a nice chat for about 20 mins and she also knew about Ex-CAI trips but she did check a lot of private stuff about me and my wife and since I had my detailed itinerary printed out, it was all sorted and I was allowed to board. It was all done amicably and in a friendly manner but just give yourself some time if you ever do this.
When we landed at DFW, APC put a cross, so had to see an agent. Waited 20 mins inline and then my wife was cleared but I was not. Another agent came and took us to the interview rooms and once again checked pretty much all the details I gave in LHR and once again said it was because of our interesting routing.
Once again answered numerous personal questions and previous travels but once again all was done politely and in a friendly manner. He was probably the most friendly and chatty border control staff I have ever met. Took about 20 mins, so in just over 70 mins after landing,me collected our bags and were out of the airport.
So my advice is have all your paper work in order, give yourself plenty of time and be nice since they are just doing their job. This is coming from someone who is not white and I get 'randomly' assigned extra security checks wherever I go and that is even when I am leaving the UK and I am a British citizen. I just go with the flow.
For extra 60 minutes of hassle with SSSS and extra security chats, I would still be tempted for an itinerary ex-CAI!!!!
Old May 7, 2018, 6:03 am

If the CBP and DHS staff continue to interview CAI tier point runners, I suspect their interest will start to wane somewhat, at some stage or other. These sorts of prolonged interviews are actually quite expensive for any Western state to run. I wonder if presenting a print out or App view of BAEC's My Executive Club and My Recent Transactions (which shows routes and tier points) will start to be useful.
ExpatExp, Dselvan and Calchas like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by flyerkit
The "low cost points" excuse might sound good, but it might equally well be claimed by a genune bad-person... I am sure they will be running other checks to validate that "claim"...
I've been hit by the TTRT on ex-CAI fares now in BOS, ORD, and IAD. Even with Global Entry and a US passport, my "success" rate is 100%.

The good thing in the last 6 months or so, however, is the agents I've eventually been passed to are actually familiar with the cheap CAI fares, and my interviews have gone from an hour to 5-10 minutes.

That said, I would NEVER attempt a connection under 3 hours on an ex-CAI fare.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.