Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security interview (after CAI-LHR before allowing LHR-JFK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeland Security interview (after CAI-LHR before allowing LHR-JFK)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Well, ultimately I'm glad they're being vigilant.

But it made me a lil nervous. Won't be heading to Egypt any time soon (well, other than the return).

​​​
Old May 3, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Airprox
If you don't yet know what the DHS TTRT is (Tactical Terrorist Response Team), you will do in about 9 hours. I hope you don't have a short connection or plans immediately after your arrival at JFK!
I can't check into my Airbnb after 11pm, but hopefully they won't want a 6hr interview...!
Old May 3, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I can't check into my Airbnb after 11pm, but hopefully they won't want a 6hr interview...!
Depending on how the interview goes, full board accommodation will be provided.
irishguy28 and kosy91 like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Don't worry. DHS have been known to provide "overnight accomodation".
Old May 3, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Crikey! Now I'm worried. We are flying from Brazil to London via JFK in December. It's cheaper than flying direct, gives double the TPs and the long connection allows a day of shopping in manhattan. I wonder what they will make of that?
I do this all the time and other than the standard questions I have never had any problems - I prefer this route as oddly I find it easier! You would be surprised by the number of people that do this.....
Old May 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
The delay last time I met them was that they were in a different terminal so I had to wait for them to finish up there and make their way over. About 90 minutes waiting, then 5 minutes or so while they read through the notes from the questioning at LHR, 2 or 3 more questions then stamped and released.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I got invited for a friendly chat after arrival into the JFK on one of the ex-CAI trips last January. Somehow they got I was flying direct from CAI despite arriving on AY5 from Helsinki. Officer was surprised when they saw my ticket and it said CAI-LHR leg was done over a month earlier. They still asked me all sort of questions allegedly to update their records and let me go. They also thought I was bonkers taking a trip from Cairo to Hawaii, but when I told them how much it cost, they admitted it wasn't at all that crazy.

My advice - be honest, don't lie, don't stress and you'll be fine. Officers are there to do their job and if you comply promptly with their questions/requests, they'll finish their job quicker and let you go.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Crikey! Now I'm worried. We are flying from Brazil to London via JFK in December. It's cheaper than flying direct, gives double the TPs and the long connection allows a day of shopping in manhattan. I wonder what they will make of that?
Last time I did this journey. GRU-JFK (overnight stop)- LHR I got SSSS at GRU. It was no big hassle and actually got to board before anyone else with a high flying American elite who flew the route weekly in first and got to share his private van with him.
hugolover and Calchas like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by miklcct
This is exactly why I hate the U.S. and don't want to visit it ever. The U.S. treats their own people even worse than other countries treat foreigners.
This is the sort of comment which is likely to get you an even longer chat with immigration officials.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
This is the sort of comment which is likely to get you an even longer chat with immigration officials.
Based on the OP's quote I cant see how they will have this issue with US Immigration offiials.
ML
Old May 3, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Even without making a TP run you can be asked probing questions at US immigration. On one trip many years ago I was asked if I'd ever lived in the US, whether I had a SSN, did I have a US driver's license, what my middle name was etc. The answer to all was no / never / none etc. It was all very courteous and polite but I asked why the questioning was more thorough than it had been in the past. The officer told me (and he probably shouldn't have) that they had someone on their watch list with the same name and DOB as me but that person also had a middle name etc. Fast forward a few trips and another trip to the US but with a very tatty passport (before they had biometric chips) and the immigration officer notices that the corner of the photo page is peeling away. She was just about to say "Welcome to the USA" and stamp my passport when instead it's a case of "Let's start over" and begins asking me the same series of questions as previously while scrutinising the photo page of my passport with a magnifying glass. So I tell her, without being prompted, that I have never lived in the USA, don't have a SSN, don't have a driver's license etc. and "I presume you still haven't caught him?" at which point she grinned and said that she couldn't comment. She did suggest, however, that I replaced my passport. I was admitted without any issues and have had none since, even when applying for my L1 visa and Green Card.
GaxxyFlyer and madfish like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:09 am

I got a pretty bizarre question last time whilst clearing immigration at DTW and namely - can you remember the number of your boss on top of your head? To which I said that I'd struggle to remember mine, for that purpose. A rather bland welcome to Detroit duly followed.

G
Old May 3, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’ve had several friendly chats at Immigration ... about a diverse range of subjects, including discovering the Agent and I used the same neighborhood bar!
Old May 3, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am looking forward to my future conversations with the US authorities.

During Ramadan, I will be visiting Algeria, UAE, Indonesia and Malaysia.

No doubt there may be some questions about the entry stamps in my rapidly-filling passport: just as well I have long connections at my US POEs
Old May 3, 2018, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by babats
Anybody know the TP's for one-way trip to Guantanamo Bay??
Upgrade using cash to First Class return, and then claim ORC for the return segment. Loads of TP. Although lounge facilities are not worth writing home about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.