BA champions league final

Old May 3, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC
I dont know if the reality is a true reflection of the BA PR BUT BA have held back on giving passengers WiFi due to technology advancements since the intial inflight internet connectivity systems on US carriers, who many have had connectivity for some years, in which the service was incredibly slow. Im talking early days of the internet slow, AOL dial-up if you may remember!

So the systems they have chosen for Long haul and SH are supposed to be cutting edge for inflight speed and bandwidth.

So IF your flight did have WiFi (slim chance) you maybe pleasantly surprised with the speed. As for the game, I can imagine that online servers will be overloaded globally for demand. So a VPN (ExpressVPN) and a decent streaming site maybe worth a try but get online way before kick off to ensure a good chance. Otherwise stick to a text based update service.

Or as others have suggested, if your upfront or upstairs (depending on the aircraft) kindly ask for an update from the cockpit/crew.

Just recently on a short haul my father was midflight whilst his team were playing and asked politely in CE for a score update . To his surprise (probably because CE was empty) the captain came out and said Mr Rockflyertalk Spurs have just equalised to which my dads response was can I get another glass of champagne then please?!

Welcome to FT. Goodluck on the 26th.
jennifac likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:07 am

Further to our resident guru Corporate Wage Slave's advice, if there has been a schedule change or something materialises which would allow a free rerouting then swapping to an AA service to LA with a connection to Vegas would probably get you the match live on the in-flight entertainment. They have live TV which includes 2 or 3 sports channels that show live premier league matches and presumably also the champions league final.
I wish you good luck finding a solution but unfortunately I can't extend that to the result!
happeemonkee and jennifac like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:58 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I took my brother to Rome yesterday for his 30th, so my advice is simple: Cancel Vegas and take him to Kiev instead. ^

Being the eternal optimist, I'd booked my Kiev accommodation in March. ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

I have no other advice, but hope you sort something out for your other half.
jennifac likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:27 pm

Not a technical person, nor a frequent flyer who knows about inflight Wifi, so a question... If there is Wifi but it's not adequate enough to watch something being live streamed, would it be adequate enough to listen to something through a radio app such as TuneIn Radio?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mda03jb
They have live TV which includes 2 or 3 sports channels that show live premier league matches and presumably also the champions league final.
AA does indeed offer live TV programming on some flights. Check out this thread from AA forum World Cup Final on AA735

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 4, 2018 at 9:59 am Reason: CORRECTED that AA does offer live TV inc sports
Old May 4, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This is not quite correct. UA does have DirecTV, including sports channels like NBCSN (that has the rights to Premier League matches) and FOX (which is showing the Champions League final). But that it is only available in the continental US.
AA offers TV programming, but it is not live. And, if it was, it would be restricted - like UA - to domestic US routes.
I watched a live LFC game on my AA flight from Manchester to Philadelphia last September?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
I watched a live LFC game on my AA flight from Manchester to Philadelphia last September?
LFC, Luton Football Club; why?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; AA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Check with whichever hotel you're staying if they have FoxSports, It is likely they will repeat the game later in the evening or on Sunday. Much better to view it there rather than waiting to watch it when back home

Alternatively, check with english pubs in Las Vegas, they would definitely have FoxSports and would be able to tell you when the repeats are as well
This is probably the best advice. FS1 and/or FS2 are likely to rebroadcast the Final several times over the weekend of May 26 and May 27.
jennifac likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Think this is the option we are going to go with! He is gutted to be missing it but we will be landing inVegas after all! He was lucky enough to be there last time too!
thabk you for all your help!!
Old May 4, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Not a technical person, nor a frequent flyer who knows about inflight Wifi, so a question... If there is Wifi but it's not adequate enough to watch something being live streamed, would it be adequate enough to listen to something through a radio app such as TuneIn Radio?
BA new WiFi service .air has 2 packages one for browsing and one for streaming. The FAQs on their website reckon you can stream Netflix content with this. So radio streaming should be pretty good. Like most WiFi its all dependent on how many people are using it and what they are using it for.

Have a look at:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board

also:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-underway.html
DragonSoul likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I did see this and I have had confirmation that there will be WiFi on my flight however iv had a few misunderstandings already so Im not holding my breath, would be a lovely surprise if there was and it worked!!
Old May 4, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by babats
Set the video and let him watch it when you get back - all you have to do is make sure he doesn't find out the score!
What is this video of which you speak? 🤔🤣
Old May 4, 2018, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by jennifac
Thank you! I did see this and I have had confirmation that there will be WiFi on my flight however iv had a few misunderstandings already so Im not holding my breath, would be a lovely surprise if there was and it worked!!
My response was to @DragonSoul not yourself jennifac incase theres confusion there.
jennifac likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
I've corrected my erroneous post. Thanks
Old May 4, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Marriot Gold
I'd suck it up and change the flight date, go a day earlier, this is such a massive match.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.