Search

BA's second new A320neo damaged?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Worcester
Why do BA tolerate this?
I can't add to 13900's explanation of what a good safety culture needs, but the worldwide numbers show that every airline struggles with this and it's not just BA. IIRC, at about the time of that article, there was a rather memorable quip that one big difficulty on ramps is that there are a lot of low-tech people doing low-tech jobs adjacent to some very high-tech equipment. Added to that is the intense time pressure under which everyone works. Despite the efforts made by the whole industry (and it may be that things have got a bit better since 2005), "sh*t is going to keep on happening".
Old May 4, 2018, 4:06 am

When DOCV was damaged in Genoa, the repair removed many smaller repairs to the skin around the wound site. The aircraft came back post repair significantly lighter with a much reduced drag penalty.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by 13900

The obvious reaction would be to go Maoist on those who err, but it'd be wrong. Sure, negligence is punished and repeated offences are too, but it's also important to have a culture where people aren't afraid to say that they've done a cock-up. More often than not those issues are reported by the same person who's done it, and in the overwhelming majority of cases there is little if any consequences on them personally: it's better to help them understand the human factors that caused the problem, and ensure that potentially problematic issues are raised, than to punish and actually risk the safety of the plane. The airport is a dangerous environment, like the death of that Engineer proved just a few weeks ago; sh*t is going to keep on happening. It's important to avoid that people are afraid to raise their hand and raise problems.
I fully understand the need for an open safety culture and applaud BA for this, but if there is a reoccurring issue which by it's nature may have an impact on safety not to mention costs, I am surprised that it is allowed to happen as often as suggested. There must be non Maoist to influence behaviour.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
I fully understand the need for an open safety culture and applaud BA for this, but if there is a reoccurring issue which by it's nature may have an impact on safety not to mention costs, I am surprised that it is allowed to happen as often as suggested. There must be non Maoist to influence behaviour.
sure, I don't mean to say that nothing is done; a lot of time and effort and management went (and goes) in training the guys, in working with the TUs and ensuring they have the right tools for the job - in this case, steps to access the switches - but when push comes to shove what's more important is for the guys to feel safe to raise their hands and say "Guv I cocked it up" than to hush over job fears; a cargo door is less expensive than a whole plane digging a hole in the ground after all...
Worcester likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Just as an anecdote, when I was in Galleries Club in T3 on Wednesday, G-TTNA was sitting outside the window at gate 9 (with my plane on gate 11). As I was leaving the lounge TTNA was pushing back, but by the time I boarded it was back on stand. Looks like it was operating BA502 which eventually left with a delay of 85 minutes. "DELAY ZO" according to EF -- maybe everybody had moved to the back and they had to move the cargo forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.