Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Old May 10, 2018, 3:01 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The ATR has an ETOPS rating of 120 min. Awkward ...

It's interesting that the article doesn't mention ANA. They have over 80 787 with RR engines.

BTW The routes to Europe will be affected with the reduced ETOPS rating. Central Russian isn't know for a high airport density. JP-US seems to be unaffected as there are airports all over Eastern Russia and Alaska.
Some routing to LAX, SAN or the airports of the Bay Area will need adjustment and have extra times. Currently the route to Vancouver is the one affected with common airframe changes to 788 without RR (usually in regional config so an angled seat in J).
Yes of course, I did not thought of the Central Russia problem, as I always associate ETOPS with oceans.

@chongcao: ANA does not complain but is affected by the problem and put out a press release some time ago about it and the impact.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by onobond
Further restrictions on the Rolls Royce powered Dreamliner published yesterday quoted here

Seems the dream changed to nightmare
So as not to make this sound any bigger than it is: There doesn't seem to be anything new in that article. It seems to talk about the changes in mid-April, which have already had an effect on BA operations such as routings and schedules.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
So as not to make this sound any bigger than it is: There doesn't seem to be anything new in that article. It seems to talk about the changes in mid-April, which have already had an effect on BA operations such as routings and schedules.
That was a reduction to 140 minutes. We are now talking about ETOPS 60.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:39 am

It appears further changes were announced on 6th May, although they seem to have a limited effect on BA.

Interesting to see one or two articles saying this saga may not be resolved before 2022.

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/roll...-new-advisory/
Old May 10, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
That was a reduction to 140 minutes. We are now talking about ETOPS 60.
Sorry, I hadn't noticed that number.

But 60 minutes basically means ETOPS cancelled, doesn't it? I thought that it's not ETOPS unless it's more than 60 minutes?
WorldLux likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:06 am

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that number.

But 60 minutes basically means ETOPS cancelled, doesn't it? I thought that it's not ETOPS unless it's more than 60 minutes?
Not cancelled as such. Etops also requires addition aircraft equipment etc which will remain in place. As soon as the engines are repaired or replaced the aircraft will return to full Etops status.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

Weird things do happen !

Even when The Beatles were at the peak of their global fame, there was still the odd person who couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about ........
I was a bit like that when the Osmonds were all the rage. Hmm, am I showing my age?
ML
Old May 10, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
Not cancelled as such. Etops also requires addition aircraft equipment etc which will remain in place. As soon as the engines are repaired or replaced the aircraft will return to full Etops status.
Thanks for the clarification - it does make sense to keep all the equipment in good order for this.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:45 am

I'm guessing at some point the affected airlines will expect some form of compensation (over and above the fix offered by RR) from RR. Time to dump RR stocks temporarily !
Old May 10, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I'm guessing at some point the affected airlines will expect some form of compensation (over and above the fix offered by RR) from RR. Time to dump RR stocks temporarily !
That might be a bit premature as the errant blades are made by a Japanese company. A fact which is unlikely to have escaped RR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.