Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

+1 (I’m 194cm tall) - way more comfortable than BA’s coffins.
BA coffins? Can you elaborate? I’m not exactly experienced with other carriers J cabins but I know BA J and they aren’t coffins at all. One of the most open seats I’ve seen. But I may be referring to the ‘foot coffins’ I’ve seen of other carriers so we could be on different pages here...
Old May 3, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

BA coffins? Can you elaborate? I’m not exactly experienced with other carriers J cabins but I know BA J and they aren’t coffins at all. One of the most open seats I’ve seen. But I may be referring to the ‘foot coffins’ I’ve seen of other carriers so we could be on different pages here...
BA CW 788 seat 3A/K - supposedly, according to this very forum, the very best 788 CW seats (given their direct, albeit very narrow, aisle access). With the dividing screen raised on one side, the cabin wall on the other side, and the seat in a semi or fully reclined position the narrowness of the seats is claustrophobic in the extreme - although being 6’4” / 110kg may have something to do with it.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Please don't. There is no PE on Qatar B787 birds. Operational nightmare for BA if that happens...
Old May 9, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Info for those whose flights move onto the QR A330s, can be found in the WIKI of this thread - The Complete Guide to the Qatar Airways Fleet

M
Old May 9, 2018, 10:16 am

I just checked a bunch of routes, and don't see any BA 330 services showing yet.

Given the blockade, I'm guessing these birds are very unlikely to be operated on Middle East routes such as CAI, RUH, BAH, DXB, AUH or TLV - and will mostly likely replace the three-class 788 services. Perhaps BWI or YUL are among the likely candidates. Tehran would also be a possibility.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I just checked a bunch of routes, and don't see any BA 330 services showing yet.
That's unsurprising, given that BA only applied on 4 May for permission to do this, although it looks like the application is for a wet lease.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Deleted
Old May 9, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by makin'miles

Given the blockade, I'm guessing these birds are very unlikely to be operated on Middle East routes such as CAI, RUH, BAH, DXB, AUH or TLV - and will mostly likely replace the three-class 788 services. Perhaps BWI or YUL are among the likely candidates. Tehran would also be a possibility.
Needs to also be a route with quite low premium cabin demand - QR's A330s are configured with an almost 10/1 J/Y ratio (e.g. 30 J / 275 Y on the lie flat 333s); BA's 788 are 35 / 25 / 154 and the 789s are even more premium heavy.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

BA CW 788 seat 3A/K - supposedly, according to this very forum, the very best 788 CW seats (given their direct, albeit very narrow, aisle access). With the dividing screen raised on one side, the cabin wall on the other side, and the seat in a semi or fully reclined position the narrowness of the seats is claustrophobic in the extreme - although being 6’4” / 110kg may have something to do with it.
Couldn't agree more, same with 7A/K on the 789. I felt so pleased I'd bagged one of these seats on a KUL - LHR sector but would not choose it again for exactly these reasons, the overwhelming feeling of restricted width and I really felt like I had to contort myself back into the seat when it was in bed mode. I'm 5'9 and 67kg
Old May 9, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Needs to also be a route with quite low premium cabin demand - QR's A330s are configured with an almost 10/1 J/Y ratio (e.g. 30 J / 275 Y on the lie flat 333s); BA's 788 are 35 / 25 / 154 and the 789s are even more premium heavy.
LHR-ICN (e.g. BA17) comes to mind. C-Y ratio could work and it's on the 788. Over the past weeks it's been upgraded to the 789 quite often.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:43 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Application made to CAA for 3 x Qatar A330 on wet lease for period 1st June to 30th September.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...d-tren-448446/
Old May 9, 2018, 12:02 pm

Am I right in saying the QR A330s are coming towards the end of their days?
Old May 9, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

I found the foot space very restrictive when trying to sleep. Didn’t like it at all
florens likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
I found the foot space very restrictive when trying to sleep. Didn’t like it at all[/left]
Looks a bit foot-snug compared with AA A330/777W, and an interesting step-over! OK for a couple, like us, though. And at least there's a shelf between the seat to put things on.

I confess that seeing 2 enormous screens watching 2 different films might be a bit confusing. You see, not everything about BA is bad!

I'm assuming that's Business?
Old May 9, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by T8191
Looks a bit foot-snug compared with AA A330/777W, and an interesting step-over! OK for a couple, like us, though. And at least there's a shelf between the seat to put things on.

I confess that seeing 2 enormous screens watching 2 different films might be a bit confusing. You see, not everything about BA is bad!

I'm assuming that's Business?
It is indeed, it's well below the AA A330/77W seat standard, I'd put them roughly on par with a relatively mediocre BA CW seat (i.e. below good window seats or UD), so this is not necessarily a positive change, other than potentially in terms of cabin condition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.