Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Old May 2, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d&cmpId=google
Old May 2, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
if they do, best go round the planes first and break a few seats, wedge some crumbs and old socks down a few cracks, and chuck lots of coffee down the toilets for staining purposes. Just to make us feel at home, like.
aidy, fotographer, RolfD and 39 others like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Smile

Any chance BA could get them wet-leased?
Old May 2, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
And Belfast services - is that new news?

wonder what routes BA would use on if they got more frames, non-flagship, leisure? I believe no ME routes given ban applies to aircraft not just airline; presumably not NA (American regulators might be a bit sniffy given general dislike of ME3)
Old May 2, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by irmster
if they do, best go round the planes first and break a few seats, wedge some crumbs and old socks down a few cracks, and chuck lots of coffee down the toilets for staining purposes. Just to make us feel at home, like.

It would be interesting to see what BA 787 CW regulars make of QRs 787 J cabin seat layout.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
It would be interesting to see what BA 787 CW regulars make of QRs 787 J cabin seat layout.
Terrible coffin seat, bland food, poor IFE, robotic staff etc.

In the real world however...
Old May 2, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
QR will want to put something in the contract about returning them in the same condition they were sent.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:41 am

They're giving out 330s - and soon 787s - to Air Italy, plus some 320s and 737s too. They don't seem to be using their fleet a lot. Their planes, at least judging by how much they're high when they pass my office window and when they get off the runway, don't seem that full. Ah, it's gotta be dreadful to be having an airline and not knowing what to do with it*!

*Post firmly tongue-in-cheek; I know I'm in a very small minority, but I'm not a fan of QR, I find its boss' attitude to safety (based on his own attitude and on accounts of many I know who have fled Doha) worrying and its working practices disgusting. But they splash cash on swanky seats so who cares.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Terrible coffin seat, bland food, poor IFE, robotic staff etc.

In the real world however...
The bland food thing always cracks me up !
Old May 2, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 13900
They're giving out 330s - and soon 787s - to Air Italy, plus some 320s and 737s too. They don't seem to be using their fleet a lot. Their planes, at least judging by how much they're high when they pass my office window and when they get off the runway, don't seem that full. Ah, it's gotta be dreadful to be having an airline and not knowing what to do with it*!

*Post firmly tongue-in-cheek; I know I'm in a very small minority, but I'm not a fan of QR, I find its boss' attitude to safety (based on his own attitude and on accounts of many I know who have fled Doha) worrying and its working practices disgusting. But they splash cash on swanky seats so who cares.
Can you say more about the attitude to safety, specifically w/r/t the people you know who have left Doha?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:14 pm

Comments like this are why I frequent this forum even though I rarely ever set foot on a BA plane.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks to BAs wet-leasing, it seems several of my future s/h bookings have been farmed out to Eastern Airlines and Titan. BA is clearly suffering in the Ops Centre!!

Am I bovvered? Im confident I will get CE service/handling and BAEC TPs, and a change of scenery/CC will be a refreshing change from the usual drudge. Looking forward to all sectors.

At least AA hasnt dumped on me .,. yet!
Old May 2, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very good of BA to assist QR during what must be a very difficult time for the airline.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
QR will want to put something in the contract about returning them in the same condition they were sent.
.......... including a clause to the effect that they must NOT be densified by BA
Old May 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Can you say more about the attitude to safety, specifically w/r/t the people you know who have left Doha?
With regards to Al Baker, his attitude in the MIA (? I believe) event was really dismissive, to the point of saying "things like these happen all the time".

As to the fellows who have left Doha, when I was working in Engineering we had quite an influx of returning LAEs and other roles. They all said that, apart from problematics related to living there, their main driver was the lack of interest in getting to know *why* things were happening, in finding root causes and then acting upon them. QR's attitude was to fire who did wrong, regardless of why, and move on (see, again, the MIA incident). I heard of Engineers who, under pressure and with a new aircraft type, as was the 787 back then, made a honest mistake - which never jeopardised the flight's safety - who got the chop, instead of going through a proper Human Factors investigation. One of them was hired by BA as a connie in one of the heavies. Top bloke. I don't mean to say that QR is an accident waiting to happen, I mean to say that this is not the way to do things and it's not a company I'm happy to have in OW or amongst IAG's shareholders, but I'm evidently in a minority.

All this is, obviously, only my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.