Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9.30 am transatlantic departure - meals?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
9.30 am transatlantic departure - meals?

I've searched the BA website to no avail trying to find the answer to this so apologies if I've missed it.
I can find menus for LH Club World flights however can anyone tell me if on a 9.30 departure from LGW (destination TPA) will the first meal be served be of a breakfast nature? I'm more used to 11.30 or later LH departures where a "normal" meal is served however unsure if a 9.30 departure takes it back to a breakfast offering.

Thanks
Old May 2, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
99% sure it'll be lunch around 2 hours after take off.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
09.30 was the cut off change from breakfast to lunch. I believe last year following feedback a few slightly earliers (MIA?) moved to lunch although slightly earlier than 09.30 depart.

I am sure you'll get lunch
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
I've searched the BA website to no avail trying to find the answer to this so apologies if I've missed it.
I can find menus for LH Club World flights however can anyone tell me if on a 9.30 departure from LGW (destination TPA) will the first meal be served be of a breakfast nature? I'm more used to 11.30 or later LH departures where a "normal" meal is served however unsure if a 9.30 departure takes it back to a breakfast offering.

Thanks
Hello, Doubt you've missed it LH catering guides are not usually found as there is too much variation I guess to be able to keep tabs on it and update it as things change. Like mentioned above sure it will be lunch as by the time the crew start service it should be nearing midday and brunch in TPA
Old May 2, 2018, 5:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
OP is that the early flight from LGW to FLL with a connection to TPA?
Old May 2, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I've noticed that on certain days the LGW-TPA flight is early now - next month a friend is flying on 15/06 and it's 09.40 take off
Old May 2, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
OP is that the early flight from LGW to FLL with a connection to TPA?
That stopped me in my tracks! I had to go off and check I hadn't made a huge blunder - no, as Mikey posted it's the "normal" LGW/TPA which for some reason is at 9.30 or 9.40 rather than 11ish. Means we have an overnight stay at Gatwick tomorrow night as we couldn't get a connection early enough but that's ok.

Thanks for confirming it will be lunch -I'm not a huge breakfast fan so would have been a bit disappointed if it had been.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:33 am

Sorry for setting the heart racing there! I've only ever seen 9:30am departures to FLL in the past. Enjoy Tampa.

It's 9:40am on Friday.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
Sorry for setting the heart racing there! I've only ever seen 9:30am departures to FLL in the past. Enjoy Tampa.

It's 9:40am on Friday.
I was thoroughly unimpressed with the new car hire set up last month golfmad - taken the shine off what was my favourite US arrivals experience
Old May 2, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

new car hire set up? Do you mean at TPA or FLL? We last flew into TPA at Christmas- didn't realise anything had changed. Due to fly into FLL later in the year however as that's a new arrival airport for us I have no experience of the car hire area there.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I was thoroughly unimpressed with the new car hire set up last month golfmad - taken the shine off what was my favourite US arrivals experience
new car hire set up? Do you mean at TPA or FLL? We last flew into TPA at Christmas- didn't realise anything had changed. Due to fly into FLL later in the year however as that's a new arrival airport for us I have no experience of the car hire area there.
Car rental at TPA has changed recently. There’s now a monorail so collecting a car has gone from 5 mins to about 20 mins. On the plus side the monorail now stops at economy parking before it gets to the car rental center which is much easier and quicker for me than waiting for the bus.

​​​​​​​mikefly​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​, I guess it’s inevitable as the airport and surrounding areas grow. Still a great airport though.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh yeah - a great airport agreed - however Avis had a worldwide IT outage and it took three hours from landing to driving off... not TPA's fault but it was horrific. On the plus side got a hugely upgraded car for no extra cost
Old May 2, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

That's a pity, but as you say a consequence of the growth I guess. At least we know before we arrive.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Means we have an overnight stay at Gatwick tomorrow night as we couldn't get a connection early enough but that's ok.
For those outside SE England that's the drawback with those early departures as I don't think BA operate any domestic flights on the UK mainland that can connect to LGW in time. The early arrival in the US suits me but the benefit is largely negated by the need for an overnight stop before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.