Wiki Posts
Search

Close to gold

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Question Close to gold

This year I will be the closest to gold I have been. I need 360 TP's before end of June. Any recommendations how to achieve this? I was looking at AA F from JFK to LAX but is this close to $2k. My home airport is BOS.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You can fly around from Boston to DCA one stop per leg for 40 TP a segment, 160 TP total for about $400, do it twice and you're nearly there. I'll see if I can find an example, hang on.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:15 am

Here you go

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#fl...650*.GBP.31543
20Rothmans and bazboy like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by bazboy
...before end of June.
Do you mean before 8 July? Just checking that you aren't mixing up collection vs. validity dates .

So 360TP is 9 Domestic First 40TP segments?

ITA Matrix shows BOS-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-PHL-BOS booking into I class @ $600 on JUN02 (depart ~0530, back ~1900). That plus bisonrav's should get you 400TP for ~$1000. And you can probably take a segment out of one of the trips to get exactly 360TP .
bazboy likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Yes, July 8. Thanks.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Do you mean before 8 July? Just checking that you aren't mixing up collection vs. validity dates .

So 360TP is 9 Domestic First 40TP segments?

ITA Matrix shows BOS-PHL-CLT-RDU-CLT-PHL-BOS booking into I class @ $600 on JUN02 (depart ~0530, back ~1900). That plus bisonrav's should get you 400TP for ~$1000. And you can probably take a segment out of one of the trips to get exactly 360TP .
How do you force ITA to add all the connections?
Old May 1, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
In the routing box put "aa aa aa" to indicate that you're the kind of traveller that prefers 3 segments on AA when 2 is plenty for most people.

It's unusual for 4 segments to still be well priced in a short trip. 3 typically works, but the fourth takes into combined routes at suboptimal prices.
bazboy likes this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; May 1, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 3:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
I'm going to be approx 300TP away from Gold - this is the first year that I've moved over Blue so pretty happy. Being LBA-based what are my tier point run options? Have a non-EU passport so that restricts my movements somewhat
Old May 1, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by kosy91
I'm going to be approx 300TP away from Gold - this is the first year that I've moved over Blue so pretty happy. Being LBA-based what are my tier point run options? Have a non-EU passport so that restricts my movements somewhat
With no attempt to optimise it, you should be able to get a CE return LBA-LHR-DUB for around 330 quid and 160 TP. Since DUB is in the Common Travel Area I believe the non EU passport should be fine (but will defer to wiser heads!)

x2 and job done.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
With no attempt to optimise it, you should be able to get a CE return LBA-LHR-DUB for around 330 quid and 160 TP. Since DUB is in the Common Travel Area I believe the non EU passport should be fine (but will defer to wiser heads!)

x2 and job done.
Need a visa unfortunately. I have a schngen visa for another 3 months so I could do a Schengen country
Old May 1, 2018, 3:43 pm

You can probably organise LBA->LHR->AMS on a similar basis
Old May 1, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bazboy
This year I will be the closest to gold I have been. I need 360 TP's before end of June. Any recommendations how to achieve this? I was looking at AA F from JFK to LAX but is this close to $2k. My home airport is BOS.
Look at Boston-Phoenix-Las Vegas. Its $1,040 return in first and will get you 400 Tier Points
BOS - PHX is 160 Tier Points
PHX - LAS is 40 Tier Points

You need a two class AA flight in First for cheap flights. JFK-LAX is a three class flight and is very expensive.
You only get business class Tier Points for AA Domestic first on a two class AA flight.

Last edited by KenJohn; May 1, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by kosy91
Need a visa unfortunately. I have a schngen visa for another 3 months so I could do a Schengen country
LUX is consistently cheap from the regions. CE returns under 300 (for 160TP) if you have flexibility on dates, and not much more if you don't

Mrs BertieB went from Blue to Gold this year, and LUX figured heavily in that We personally really enjoy the city which admittedly helps!

Edit: as bisonrav points out, AMS is in similar territory. Slightly more expensive in our experience, but not by much, 20 quid or so. One of each?
Old May 1, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Look at Boston-Phoenix-Las Vegas. Its $1,040 return in first and will get you 400 Tier Points
BOS - PHX is 160 Tier Points
PHX - LAS is 40 Tier Points
Hi,

I think BOS-PHX will only get you 140 tier points each way ie the return will be 360 tp in total

Regards

TBS
bazboy likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:51 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you want to trade immigration officers for the M25 then JER is the obvious choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.