Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Triple Avios from the Economist is back (not advertised yet)

Old Apr 30, 18, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P

Hi I have been subscripted to the Economist for few years now, taking advantages of the triple Avios offer. However, this year I have not been renewed yet as I was waiting for the triple Avios offer.

While I was playing the Iberia Plus account, I found Iberia is offering the triple Avios offer for March and April (!!). I thought blimey, I should have checked Iberia Plus before I gave up waiting for either Avios or BA Executive Club offer. The bad news is that this offer ends today.

Not quite, when I clicked on the link for the triple Avios offer, I was surprised to find that this offer is extended to end of May.

I do not use Iberia Plus account at all. And with the UK Avios Travel Rewards scheme closing, I do not want to risk future problem of transferring Avios from Iberia to BA Executive Club. So I checked Avios.com offer again.

On Avios.com the offer is the still standard 4300 Avios offer. But when I clicked on the link to subscribe, guess what, the page now showing 13,200 Avios triple offer with the standard end dates of end of May.

So I happily took the offer and hopefully I will receive 13,200 Avios in 4 weeks time.

This makes me wondering, why this offer is not offered yet but it is available. Did Avios.com failed to advertise because of busy transferring data to BA executive club? Never mind, I just want to give fellow members here a shout that the triple Avios offer for the Economist is back and it is valid until end of May. A cheap way to get 13,200 Avios while educating yourself. Happy travels.
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I can't see the economist on offer at all on the Avios.com estore - how did you navigate to it?
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by philco View Post
I can't see the economist on offer at all on the Avios.com estore - how did you navigate to it?
Clicking on either of the orange "Subscribe now" buttons on the Avios.com estore page takes you to the Economist landing page with the offer.

Not for me but thanks to chongcao for posting it!

Last edited by Where am I today?; Apr 30, 18 at 8:30 am Reason: wrong user name for OP
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think I would only go for this if I really wanted a subscription to the mag.

The risk of never getting your Avios (and being unable to chase them post-closure) strikes me as too high for comfort
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
The risk of never getting your Avios (and being unable to chase them post-closure) strikes me as too high for comfort
I have been getting for 2 years now. Never fail. Make sure you input your Avios/BA Executive member right depends on which portal you went through.

Originally Posted by where am I today?
Clicking on...
Yes you are absolutely right. It is not advertised. But as soon as you click on Subscribe Now you will see the triple Avios offer. Glad to share.

Originally Posted by philco
I can't see...
As Where am I today? said, just click on the Avios.com the Economist subscription link, it should show up as 13,200 Avios until end of May. That is why I post this thread. Without advertise it some people like me waiting for the offer may have missed.
Old Apr 30, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
I have been getting for 2 years now. Never fail. Make sure you input your Avios/BA Executive member right depends on which portal you went through.

Yes you are absolutely right. It is not advertised. But as soon as you click on Subscribe Now you will see the triple Avios offer. Glad to share.

As Where am I today? said, just click on the Avios.com the Economist subscription link, it should show up as 13,200 Avios until end of May. That is why I post this thread. Without advertise it some people like me waiting for the offer may have missed.
For what it's worth, this is what was happening during the most recent promotion that ended on 31st March. Original 'retailer page' showed the standard 4,300 offer and only after clicking through did it correctly reflect the 13,200 offer.
chongcao likes this.
Old Apr 30, 18, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Lufty has a similar deal which is arguably more valuable given the scarcity of M&M miles.
Old Apr 30, 18, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Lufty has a similar deal which is arguably more valuable given the scarcity of M&M miles.
For people who has zero M&M miles or zero interests with Lufty, this argument means zilch.
Old Apr 30, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
How much is 12 months subscription to The Economist? I may be tempted!
Old May 5, 18, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post
How much is 12 months subscription to The Economist? I may be tempted!
Well I ordered on 30th April, and today 5th May I got 13,200 Avios in my account. This is quick!

The price is £179 a year for printed and online access (weekly sent to you home in printing mode and also you can access their APP to read the magazine any time). Not bad for 13,200 Avios.

You can choose Prints only or Online only for £145 but only 10,200 Avios. Your call.
polochick and TedToToe like this.
Old May 5, 18, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
this triple avios offer has just appeared in my exec club offers page
Old May 5, 18, 10:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
The price is £179 a year for printed and online access (weekly sent to you home in printing mode and also you can access their APP to read the magazine any time). Not bad for 13,200 Avios.

You can choose Prints only or Online only for £145 but only 10,200 Avios. Your call.

Price sounds very high. In the USA at least you can get an economist subscription for much less.

For example:
Amazon Amazon
$158/yr from Amazon which isnít the best discount out there

I suspect theyíre bumping the price up and youíre paying a lot extra for the Avios.
Old May 6, 18, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Hi salut0, the price is not bumped up. My subscription ran out in February and I have ever since receiving renewing letter from them. The price (without Avios) is the same as the Avios offer. For example, the offer for Digital and Printing service from my renewing letter without Avios are:

£179 one year/£315 two years/£425 three years/£130 auto renew yearly.

So you can see they did not bump up the price just for Avios. And they did not stop you to renew trough Avios even I am a renewing (not new) customer. This is very good for them.

One thing you have to bear in mind is that the magazine has a different price for different regions. For example, the current British retail price is £5.99 per issue (that is £305.49 for one year 51 issues). £179 or £145 represent a 41% or 52.5% discount.

I believe in the USA the retail price is $6.99, naturally cheaper than the UK. Thus the annual price at $152 (57% off) or $158 (55% off) from Amazon is very cheap.

If you dig deeper in the USA you can get the magazine for a year at the price of USD$90 or so. But in the UK you are less likely to find such bargain price.

And Amazon in UK and US offers different price too. For Amazon USA, the Kindle price for the Economist is $12.99 per month. And in UK the price is £13.99 per month.

So, what is my point? You can not use US pricing to say that the Economist offer in UK has been inflated. It is what it is in UK. we naturally value the knowledge much more than the US. Whether it is horizontal or vertical comparison, I see no foul playing from the Economist in Avios offering in the UK market. But you sir, may be should visit some bargain magazine sites to get the $80-90 offer rather than paying $150 to Amazon.
Old May 6, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
@chongcao

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, clearly one should compare like with like. But rest assured I didnít pay Amazon prices for The Economist in the USA: that was just an illustration for the lower subscription price which I found from some quick googling.

Iím not sure though that the higher price in the UK reflects Brits valuing knowledge higher than Americans ó lots of newspapers in the USA reported increased subscriptions, especially after the 2016 election. I suspect itís more to do with the fact that consumer goods generally are more expensive in the U.K. than the USA.
Old Jul 7, 18, 5:19 am

Has anyone else had any trouble with this offer? I waited 8 weeks and nothing had been credited, spent a couple more chasing it up with email receipts and credit card statements and eventually got 10,200 Avios - 3,000 short of what I signed up for through the print + digital subscription.

Another two weeks of following it up and the remainder still hasnít been credited. Itís only about £60 worth of points but thastís about a third of what the subscription cost.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: