Do BA oversell First?

Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Might have a single J cabin, but it's in the nature of the route to have people change flights last minute. There are also many other flights to London. That said, JFK does look very, very busy tonight!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by BA6501
That said, JFK does look very, very busy tonight!
That's an understatement! On the 12 BA operated and marketed flights still to fly from NYC to LON tonight availability is limited to 1 x full fare F seat on BA 1511 (AA service). UA/VS/DL similar. What's the big scramble apart from it being a friday night?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
That's an understatement! On the 12 BA operated and marketed flights still to fly from NYC to LON tonight availability is limited to 1 x full fare F seat on BA 1511 (AA service). UA/VS/DL similar. What's the big scramble apart from it being a friday night?
​​​​​​
Hi,
Maybe with Wimbledon starting on Monday, lots of people coming over in advance/start of school holidays?

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Also Yankees V Red Sox in London this weekend.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by slice
Any idea if they oversell on the JFK-LCY route?
There is a particular feature on this service from T7. There is rarely such a thing as a quiet Friday night there at the best of times, but the seating algorithm also looks into other LON flights around the same time, given the sheer number of services in a short time. So anyone travelling WTP who checks in a couple of hours early may be offered a seat to LCY instead. Since it's a bit of niche service this comes as a pleasant surprise to them, perhaps a little less so for those hoping for a decent kip.....
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If there is an issue with the BA2 then they will switch pax to one of the several JFK-LHR or the LFK-LGW flights

There are several reasons why people can't do OLCI - there is a dedicated thread in the dashboard with the most common reasons.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If there is an issue with the BA2 then they will switch pax to one of the several JFK-LHR or the LFK-LGW flights
F0 J0 Y0 for every single JFK-LON flight for the rest of today. Could get interesting.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Also Yankees V Red Sox in London this weekend.
And perhaps Americans heading off early to take advantage of 4 July...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:32 pm

DEL-LHR, I was offered Ł500 to move to CW but I declined and completed my journey in first.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
I can't understand how it is acceptable to sell something that doesn"t exist.

In any other industry this is fraud and hopefully one day when someone important enough gets bumped this disgraceful practice will be outlawed.
sl1ppy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:00 pm

You can buy a house or a flat before it's built or before it's completed.
Or spec up a car that then needs to be put together by the factory for you.
And until either is actually delivered, you can't take them for certain.

I'm not defending overbooking and, if you're affected by it, it can be a miserable experience.
But it really isn't that black and white. At all.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by MNMAA
You can buy a house or a flat before it's built or before it's completed.
Or spec up a car that then needs to be put together by the factory for you.
And until either is actually delivered, you can't take them for certain.
In both those cases you put down a minimal deposit and pay the balance only when the house or car is delivered. The last car I factory ordered, the deposit was around 1% of the value of the vehicle, I paid the other 99% after it was delivered and I had looked it over to make sure it was what I had actually ordered. My Father was caught once, he ordered a V8, car arrived with a 6 cylinder. He refused to pay and they ordered another car for him.

In the airline example, you book a ticket and pay in full and then the airline can then not deliver what you have paid for. If airlines worked like cars, you'd pay at your seat, just like BoB. If you don't board, you don't pay. We all know airlines want their cake and to eat it too.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lioneye

In any other industry this is fraud and hopefully one day when someone important enough gets bumped this disgraceful practice will be outlawed.
I don't agree with this. "No shows" on some routes are 50% (West Africa), on this route it can be 20%. If it was outlawed fares would rise by around that proportion, and would lead - in this environmental conscious age - to avoidable empty seats on gas guzzling machines. That's not a great outcome and is something only rich travellers have the luxury to impose on those who are less well off, those who can only just afford to fly.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jagboi
In both those cases you put down a minimal deposit and pay the balance only when the house or car is delivered. The last car I factory ordered, the deposit was around 1% of the value of the vehicle, I paid the other 99% after it was delivered and I had looked it over to make sure it was what I had actually ordered. My Father was caught once, he ordered a V8, car arrived with a 6 cylinder. He refused to pay and they ordered another car for him.

In the airline example, you book a ticket and pay in full and then the airline can then not deliver what you have paid for. If airlines worked like cars, you'd pay at your seat, just like BoB. If you don't board, you don't pay. We all know airlines want their cake and to eat it too.
You are confusing goods with services.

BA’s contract with you is for the supply of services, not the supply of goods. They have a contract to move you between A and B. How they do so is, within the terms of their conditions of carriage, largely up to them.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by Lioneye

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't agree with this. "No shows" on some routes are 50% (West Africa), on this route it can be 20%. If it was outlawed fares would rise by around that proportion, and would lead - in this environmental conscious age - to avoidable empty seats on gas guzzling machines. That's not a great outcome and is something only rich travellers have the luxury to impose on those who are less well off, those who can only just afford to fly.
The airline has been paid for a seat - it's irrelevant if the purchaser turns up or not.

I'd prefer to pay the correct price for something and get it rather than a cheaper price with a risk of it not being there at all.

If this empties out planes then fly fewer planes - which will help the environment far better than deliberately keeping more planes in the air based on a (hopefully in the future) fraudulent practice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.