Do BA oversell First?

Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL & GFL, EK Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
as these were involuntary downgrades did you apply for and receive the 75% refund of the flight cost?
BA handled all of the partial refund for me. I had nothing to do / claim. The refund took about 6 weeks though! Special Services were gobsmacked about the downgrade.

i couldn’t reserve a seat after booking the flight so knew that something was up and an agent who I telephoned confirmed that the flight had been oversold.

apparently everyone checking in was asked to do a voluntary downgrade but refused. Being a GGL didn’t trump anybody else who already had a seat reserved.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by t4wine

BA handled all of the partial refund for me. I had nothing to do / claim. The refund took about 6 weeks though! Special Services were gobsmacked about the downgrade.

i couldn’t reserve a seat after booking the flight so knew that something was up and an agent who I telephoned confirmed that the flight had been oversold.

apparently everyone checking in was asked to do a voluntary downgrade but refused. Being a GGL didn’t trump anybody else who already had a seat reserved.
the reason I ask is that EC261 mandates 75% flight cost refund which could have been more than fare difference (depending on how BA calculated it) and Ł500. Very unlucky to be downgraded once, never mind multiple times.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:23 am

the reason I ask is that EC261 mandates 75% flight cost refund which could have been more than fare difference (depending on how BA calculated it) and Ł500. Very unlucky to be downgraded once, never mind multiple times.
i received 75% of the cash I paid but 0% of the avios used to reduce the amount paid.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

i received 75% of the cash I paid but 0% of the avios used to reduce the amount paid.
ok, I thought you were given fare difference and Ł500? Was that the same on each occasion?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:33 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Yes, and people seem to accept it... AND also in the post enhancement era that the onus is on customers to chase customer service for a refund, be patient in waiting for them
to process it and grateful for an apology by way of poorly formatted script email.

...out of interest, any other airlines oversell their 1st class cabin?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:33 am

ok, I thought you were given fare difference and Ł500? Was that the same on each occasion?
On each occasion I received a Ł500 pre loaded debit card + 75% of the cash fare I paid for that leg but 0% of the avios used to reduce the fare.
haroon145 and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help . Also now better informed just in case......
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Note though that if you partially pay with Avios then these don’t get partially refunded!
What happens if you have a cash booking in J with UUA to F, but then get bumped back to J? Do you just get your Avios returned or do you get a cash refund based on what would have happened if you paid all in cash?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Agent69
What happens if you have a cash booking in J with UUA to F, but then get bumped back to J? Do you just get your Avios returned or do you get a cash refund based on what would have happened if you paid all in cash?
EC261 would say that if you are ticketed then you get the 75% provision based on the total fare paid, though it's a bit tricky to work out the reimbursement at this point. I would expect to see 75% of Avios returned, 75% of cash, minus a deduction for any APD differential (none in this scenario), Passenger Service Charge and any other charges like that, while excluding the Carrier Surcharge.
Agent69 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:32 am

I'd love to be downgraded for my flight in Dec as it's at night, and the compensation would be more than worth the switch from F to J. I would be a bit mad on the daytime return though.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just out of curiosity, is there anything you can do to reduce the risk of being offloaded or downgraded due to an oversold cabin? Early OLCI, paid/selected seat, status, single traveller/travelling in a party of 2 or more, intricate itiniary with multiple legs, travelling with kids - or none of the above or something else?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
  • Check in at the first opportunity
  • Have a status card (to some extent)
  • Have a non published fare from another airline's plating
  • Have a confirmed seat (either via status or purchase, this is the single most important factor as far as I can tell, it's those without seats who need to be found one)
  • Book long in advance
  • Have an on carriage flight afterwards (connection on the same PNR)
  • Have a special meal (which also inhibits upgrades)
  • Have children on the booking
Clearly some of this coincides, so by having status the chances are you have a seat, for example.
ringingup, Hilde, NPC and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Originally Posted by amt
Yes, and people seem to accept it... AND also in the post enhancement era that the onus is on customers to chase customer service for a refund, be patient in waiting for them
to process it and grateful for an apology by way of poorly formatted script email.

...out of interest, any other airlines oversell their 1st class cabin?
LH certainly do. I’ve been bumped from F (in fact IDB’d) due to overbooking. They wrote a very apologetic email, but only compensated when pressed.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks a lot for your explanation, c-w-s!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:44 am

Any idea if they oversell on the JFK-LCY route? My friend is flying BA2 tonight and OLCI shows unavailable for his PNR (2 pax), plus seat map now shows as completely full. I'm wondering if he might have had seats already auto-assigned since T-24? A bit unnerving. With single J cabin, obviously not possible for an upgrade or downgrade.

Last edited by slice; Jun 28, 2019 at 11:58 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.