GGL - On the very near horizon

Old Apr 27, 18, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
GGL - On the very near horizon

Hello,

I know this is silly and a decadent display of status, but I am finally going to hit GGL and I'm quite excited.

Travel booked through 6000 TP's before July and I have already planned the usage of the jokers and GUF's I have accumulated along the way thanks to the information and detail on this forum. I would like to say thank you to the folks on here who over the years (since 2006) have answered my probably annoying questions. And also to the various people who may have guested me in to the CCR on occasion. Much appreciated. I can now return the favour.

Hopefully I will bump into some of you CCR regulars soon, around the 17th May (twice) if you're lucky!

Regards,

Kernow
Old Apr 27, 18, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Congrats, and enjoy!
Old Apr 27, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond; BA Gold
Congratulations!

I have to say that I am constantly in awe of GGL members as I just donít understand how you physically do it! I travel longhaul on average once every 3-4 weeks - which seems a lot (and is certainly the bane of my wife and young children). But how on earth you can get to 5,000 points in your first year of GGL just beggars belief! Are there jobs that really have this much travel?!

But as I said - congrats ;-)
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by gcampbell View Post
Congratulations!

I have to say that I am constantly in awe of GGL members as I just donít understand how you physically do it! I travel longhaul on average once every 3-4 weeks - which seems a lot (and is certainly the bane of my wife and young children). But how on earth you can get to 5,000 points in your first year of GGL just beggars belief! Are there jobs that really have this much travel?!

I believe quite a few people on here who are ggl do travel for work

The way to do it and enjoy immensely is to love flying. Then it's just not a slog, but fun.

Congratulations to the Kernow.

pS. Ccr eiqueete stipulates no guesting 😎 😀
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes indeed congrats ! As an annual Silver I'm quite in awe of these number shown. Out of reach for me I'm afraid.

I could really have some fun with those Avios & the lifetime TP's are quite impressive !
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Congratulations and welcome to the GGL Club and the CCR!
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Congratulations, great achievement. Im currently on track to hit Gold for the first time and largely through economy flying (and discounted economy much of the time). If only my employer paid for J fares I could have maybe joined you but alas Gold will have to do this year.

Hope you enjoy it!
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gcampbell View Post
Congratulations!

How to hit 5k in one year
  1. Have an understanding partner
    This may seem silly, but for me it made an enormous difference. When I first started travelling a lot (early 90s) I was still married and had small children. My wife came to bitterly resent my frequent absences, and late hours, and I'm sure it was a contributory factor to us splitting a few years on. When I later ended up in a consultancy role which took me on frequent l/h trips East and West, I was (indeed, still am) happily with someone who also does a lot of work travel and hence completely gets it so there was no resentment and we managed to have a few date nights in exotic places when our schedules overlapped
  2. Have an understanding boss
    In the same role, I had a boss who was very flexible in interpreting the travel booking policy. Hence I was able to tweak my itineraries to minimise price and increase TPs. It was a highly results-driven company so as Iong as I was delivering billable hours, pretty much everything else was forgiven...
  3. Have generous clients
    We did a lot of work for national and state governments and were able to negotiate generous expense limits - hence, to point (2) above, if I could fit an I-class itinerary into the budget, nobody cared.
  4. Enjoy flying
    This one is really key for me too: even after all those hundreds of flights, I still get a little thrill when I settle into my seat.... when the engines spool up, when I hear and feel the satisfying thump of touchdown at destination. Sad I know but flying is almost a hobby (down the back at least - I have a few private hours in my logbook but I found after a while that steering even a small aircraft is far too much like hard work to be fun If I hated flying I would never have been able to stomach the job which saw me spend my life at 35,000ft !!
Just some random thoughts

Search this Thread
Search Engine: