First first - middle seats?

Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

First first - middle seats?

Hi, I have had a good read of the A380 seat thread and posted but wondered whether I might get more of a look in here. Original post copied below, the main question I'm keen to hear thoughts on is the middle seats if F and the ease of talking to your travel partner. Wondering whether to switch back or stay in a window seat, thanks

Hi All,

First time poster here (though as with others, I have been lurking around for a couple of months). Fairly new to the avios game - around 18 months. Have only flown CW a few times, never first. My partner and I have managed to accumulate around 220k avios and have been lucky to snap up a reward LHR-SIN return and using 241 late November for 8 days. Out in F and back in J. Incredibly excited as both are on the A380 - which having been checking regularly for a while, seems fairly fortunate on this route.

Auto selected 2EF for the outbound trip, but have moved to 2A, 3A instead for now. Having read good reviews on these, we will probably eat together but then happy to have/do our own thing. However, I'm toying with switching back to middle seats given mostly dark/night flight so not overly fussed about window and means we can converse more. Am I right in thinking this is challenging as requires a good lean forward to see the other person, being very different to CW middle seats and with a big gap. Open cabin at the mo (of course except 1AK) so the choice is ours. Any advice?

Returning CW, again a lot of choice, it put us in 50JK, however again have moved based on reviews on this thread, to 51AB. Not overly fussed about the climbing over, given probably 80% of seats are currently showing as available, what would you recommend for a couple? I like the sound of staying on UD where a bit quieter and have also only done the middle pair before rather than a window pair. So would be good to try that. Might be nice for me (the window seat hogger) to have something like 53k so no climb over, but have read this row gets a lot of galley noise. If you had all seats available, what would you go for as a couple?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Sorry it has posted twice I've no idea how to delete one!?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Hi JamieG - welcome to the BAEC corner of FT!

I think 2A/3A are excellent choices for a couple that are happy doing their own thing (IMHO), when it's daylight you've got the window, when you want time together there's plenty of room on the buddy seat. Bear in mind tho that the flight to SIN is also an overnight flight, so by November it'll be completely dark from takeoff, you'll have dinner, then you'll find many people will get a good nights sleep.

If you go for the middle seats, you will need to lean forward, but it's not too challenging IMHO, although we're both at least 6' tall!

Definitely go for the upper deck on the way back in CW, it's quieter, there's fewer seats, and you get to use the yuuuge bathrooms at the front (sadly just toilets, but still big). Personally, I like the window / aisle seats at row 53 or 59, as the person in the window will not have to climb over anyone (although the person in the aisle will still have that). Also, upstairs has loads of storage by the window.

As well as the A380 seat thread, you might want to also check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ies-first.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lub-world.html

Enjoy!
JamieG likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Brilliant, thanks for advice. I thought about 53AB for the CW return, but I'm a terribly light sleeper and worried about noise from the galley, even with ear plugs!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
In which case I'd go for 59A/B or 59J/K. As 51A/B you'll have everyone going past you to get to the loos. In 59 you've got WT+ behind you, but they won't be coming through (they need to go back to their loos), and being at the back of the CW cabin there will be minimum traffic from either crew or other passengers ^
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Another take, based on personal experience.

My wife really likes the window seats, whereas I am not really fussed about them. We have found that taking (for example) 2F/2K gets one window, and pretty much just as easy to converse as in 2E/2K, but with the advantages that (a) my wife gets a window seat, and (b) the service is all on one side of the aircraft, so making buddy dining simpler - when in the middle the crews are a little flustered as to who is meant to be serving whom ...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:27 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
We were in 53AB on an A380 arriving this morning. 53A was roomy with plenty of storage space and direct access to the aisle. 53B was the aisle seat with limited storage. I wasn't disturbed or woken by the galley but there was a surprising continual amount of traffic from the next CW cabin from people wanting to use the front toilets.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
I would echo @LPQ, I've been in 53A a couple of times overnight and never been disturbed by galley noise.

I also face the same first F dilemma for an upcoming flight but after similar questions on here, settled on window seats. For most, they are the best seats in F. There is enough space around that you can visit and chat and then go back to you own little area with a window on the world.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JamieG
Sorry it has posted twice I've no idea how to delete one!?
For things like this, just press the red triangle in the lower left of your post, this sends messages to the Moderators who can tidy up if necessary. No need to do anything here, however, I've done it for you, it's not that important anyway.

What is important is to welcome you here as one of our new contributors JamieG. and I hope that you will find the BA forum on Flyertalk both interesting and entertaining. Welcome on board. Usually the First atmosphere on that service is fairly mellow due to the hour, and about 3 hours from departure most people are asleep or dozing through the IFE. I would choose your seats on whatever would sound sensible, bearing in mind a lot of it will be sleeping time.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:57 pm

Auto selected 2EF for the outbound trip, but have moved to 2A, 3A instead for now. Having read good reviews on these, we will probably eat together but then happy to have/do our own thing. However, I'm toying with switching back to middle seats given mostly dark/night flight so not overly fussed about window and means we can converse more. Am I right in thinking this is challenging as requires a good lean forward to see the other person, being very different to CW middle seats and with a big gap. Open cabin at the mo (of course except 1AK) so the choice is ours. Any advice?

Thanks!
I like to fly window seats even w/ a partner esp in the BA F cabin because of the divider issue. I'm also not a sitter. Last F flight I took on BA I spent the better part of the journey standing near 1K w/ my girlfriend. There were only 4 or 5 of us in F on that flight so we all just hung out, drank champagne, and chatted. It was a really great experience. The crew was awesome. My girlfriend asked for JW Blue, the crew brought out an unopened bottle, girlfriend protested that she didn't want them to open it just for her, but they insisted. Can't wait to fly w/ BA again in December.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If my wife found out I'd purposely chosen window seats instead of the middle on several of our flights in F she'd murder me.
I've come to accept I really much prefer us being seated together.
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

All useful info there, thanks. My partner, in her words, "really doesn't care" which seat she is in. She knows they will all be fairly good I guess. I'm liking the idea of a window aisle combo, like 2FK, with me in the window of course. I am also right handed and she is left, so would work nicely. Then we are on the same side in terms of service. Though can you still talk across the aisle easily if needed, like in 2EF? Given the bigger gap. Otherwise may as well put her behind me with a window. Probably overthinking it now!

Re CW, 59AB sounds ideal, with no galley or aisle traffic. Thought I presume near the bassinet seats in WT+? Being at the back of CW, will we be served last and also risk less food choice? Though that is not really a major concern. Finally, is the new bedding and/or CW catering likely on the route by then?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
As a recent first Firster I understand the need to obsess a bit about which seats are best. The simple fact is that they are all great. On my own, window every time (I like looking out, although its a bit tricky with the blinds). With the Mrs? Middle seats. Its voertually impossible to chat otherwise (without making an effort
As for service, I found that the CC went out of their way to treat us as one, and given we chose to dine together, it was a treat. (Almost romantic...almost).

So the answer is: if you want to talk, engage, flirt, argue - middle seats. If the flight is a respite from the holiday, go windows.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:33 pm

I'm liking the idea of a window aisle combo, like 2FK, with me in the window of course. I am also right handed and she is left, so would work nicely.
This is a actually a significant point to remember when choosing seats. I first noticed it a few years ago when I had the 'annoyance' of the table on the wrong side, and have always tried to pick a right-handed seat since.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:39 pm

My wife and I did this same trip last year, also our first First, also as an Avios reward booking. You will love it, make sure you allow plenty of time for the Concord Room.

I spent ages researching which seats to take and booked 2A and 3A. I had not even sat down when I was asked if I could swap by a mother who was in 1A and whose daughter was in 4A. I was happy to swap and so ended up in 1A, and although I had read bad reviews about it I actually I loved it and would pick it again. I would suggest go for the window seats and eat together!
Ldnn1 and JamieG like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.