Priority baggage on BA

Old Apr 25, 18, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Priority baggage on BA

I thought from previous threads on here that priority baggage was not part of the BA proposition so I was interested to see a letter in this month's BT magazine confirming it is available to all premium/status customers.

How are people getting on with this enhancement - is it working?
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Iíll believe it when I see it. I really donít know how they expect to achieve that, especially at LHR and LGW. And loose-loaded luggage at places like JER militate against that concept, as I know only too well.

That said, my recent LCY-JER with BE had my bag on the carousel before I got there, thanks to a LONG walk and only 6/7 cases in the hold!
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
The thread title says NOW available on BA. Am I correct in thinking that the implication is it wasnít available before? In that case why has BA been bothering with priority luggage tags for so many years?
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Head For Points was reporting it was just a trial at the moment in First on selected routes (ignore the title of the link).

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...rst-class-bus/
Old Apr 25, 18, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
The interesting bit is ďas well as BAEC Gold customersĒ, given that at LHR I am never granted priority when flying ET on the grounds that only F and CE/CW are entitled regardless of status.
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
We had our case tagged priority at GLA on Saturday although not flying CE, it wasn’t quite last out at LHR, but it definitely was not amongst the first cases out none of which had priority labels
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Other airlines manage this fairly consistently (Iím thinking CX, QF, LH for example) so it can undoubtedly be done. LH for example evaluates station managers on this performance criterion.

So why canít BA get this right?

Because BA chooses not to spend money on this. It really is that simple. BA doesnít value its premium passengersí time highly. The feeling is mutual (hence Baís lack of pricing power in F on routes with serious competitors.)
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I don't believe that BA are doing priority baggage other than the few trial First routes.. A couple of weeks ago I travelled with family on 2 separate PNRs, all bags tagged as priority across both PNRs, were literally the last 4 bags to be delivered to the carousel, along with all other priority tagged bags. Possibly they were all vanity tagged for card holders, with the CE bags quietly coming out first but not tagged - or the system just doesn't work!
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
i know I've complained about this before but other airlines can do this consistently so I just wonder why BA can't. And AA's not much better. Having Global entry just means waiting at baggage claim whereas I remember my DL and AF flights into LAX where even if I was first off the plane and first in line at passport control, my bag would still be waiting for me on the carousel (with the other premium tagged bags) 90% of the time. It consistently meant seat to curb in under 15 minutes. After years of waiting with BA at various US gateways, I flew Alitalia once last year and in Miami (which with BA always meant a 30-45 minute wait despite priority tags) again my suitcase was waiting for me when I got to baggage claim (so in 15 minutes). Gotta say that SkyTeam does priority bags well and Star isn't half bad but BA (and AA) don't. Sad.
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
When I started frequent long haul J and F back in 1989 premium bags was a joke with BA. It still is.
Old Apr 25, 18, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I'm well aware of the issues with BA bagage priority, but I really do feel it's working for me recently BUT only when flying in J or F (ie no priority with status when travelling in economy.) BGI First, my bags were second, third and fifth out, (all bags were yellow tags) BUD club recently our bags were first and fourth with all the first bags out having orange tags.
Old Apr 25, 18, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Earlier reports, from January 2018, and photos to be found here:

NEW TRIAL - Manual handling of FIRST hold baggage at arrival
Old Apr 25, 18, 5:40 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Skywards Blue, Kestrelflyer Silver & Expedia+
Am I missing something here, I don't fly much but came back from JNB last week in Club and bags were already on the belt. It must have taken me no more than 20 min from aircraft to baggage hall. Even funnier the First bags hadn't even come out yet and I did a 3 hour layover. Or I'm just lucky... I dunno.
Old Apr 26, 18, 4:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Earlier reports, from January 2018, and photos to be found here:

NEW TRIAL - Manual handling of FIRST hold baggage at arrival
That's the real news story.

I suspect the purpose of this thread was to expose the inaccurate response from BA to a letter printed in the BT magazine.
frandrake likes this.
Old Apr 26, 18, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cvm0093 View Post
Am I missing something here, I don't fly much but came back from JNB last week in Club and bags were already on the belt. It must have taken me no more than 20 min from aircraft to baggage hall. Even funnier the First bags hadn't even come out yet and I did a 3 hour layover. Or I'm just lucky... I dunno.
You're lucky. I was coming back from JFK in F last September and for the first time in ages had to check a bag because a mate had bought me a bottle of hot sauce... It took over an hour from doors open to getting my bag Complained to the ground team, who did next to nothing other than say "it's on it's way, very sorry".

That experience just reinforced why I will always travel HBO wherever and whenever possible. I treat this new announcement with a pinch of salt until I see a thread on here singing the praises of how good the new priority luggage service is.
cvm0093 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: