Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying J but I can select first class in my account?!?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I'm going to fly to Seoul with an 787-9 which has a first an business class. When I booked my flight I was able to choose row no 2 when it was still the 787-8. When they changed to 787-9 my seat was changed to 11A which was fine for me. When I looked up my booking right now, the seat map showed me that I can choose row no 1 in first class. Like I can really change my seat to row no 1. How is this possible? Could this be a mistake?
I'm a frequent BA flyer with a silver membership. Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad English - I'm german 😅

Nesli
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Go for it. If it works it will be business class service in a F seat.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
There is a thread about this somewhere. Found it, i know the thread title mentions a 777, but it would also apply to your 787-8 to 787-9 change...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...s-777-a-2.html

It is when a route which only operates up to business class has an equipment change to a plane that now includes a first class cabin. You will be able to select a seat in the First class cabin but you will only receive a business class service, meal etc. Note however if the club world cabin is not full then they may move you to a club world seat and leave the First cabin empty for the flight.

Bri
Cymro likes this.

Last edited by hanmer; Apr 25, 2018 at 10:57 am Reason: adding a link
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hanmer
There is a thread about this somewhere. Found it, i know the thread title mentions a 777, but it would also apply to your 787-8 to 787-9 change...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...s-777-a-2.html

It is when a route which only operates up to business class has an equipment change to a plane that now includes a first class cabin. You will be able to select a seat in the First class cabin but you will only receive a business class service, meal etc. Note however if the club world cabin is not full then they may move you to a club world seat and leave the First cabin empty for the flight.

Bri
Thank you so much for your fast reply. So the CW cabin shows 8 non reserved seats...so the chances are high they switch us back right to the J-Cabin? Since our flight is going to leave Friday the aircraft register number is allready announced. Yesterday no F seat was "booked" now all F seats are claimed incl me and my husband
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by nesbln

Thank you so much for your fast reply. So the CW cabin shows 8 non reserved seats...so the chances are high they switch us back right to the J-Cabin? Since our flight is going to leave Friday the aircraft register number is allready announced. Yesterday no F seat was "booked" now all F seats are claimed incl me and my husband
yes if J is not full they are likely to close the F cabin and you will be reseated in J

as above it would be F with J service
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by haroon145

yes if J is not full they are likely to close the F cabin and you will be reseated in J

as above it would be F with J service
Ok thank you very much Then I think I will stay in the J cabin, as my seats are good 😂
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:20 am

Remember that there will be passengers booked into CW on this but without seat assignments until closer to departure (Bronze/Ruby status) or check-in (no status). If the CW section only shows 8 unassigned right now, I'd say there's quite a decent chance that enough of them will fill up between now and then. I'd keep your row 1 for now, but also keep an eye on the seat map on the days before flight.
[edit - I misread and thought the flight was further away... I'd revisit at time of check-in]

Are you the only one seated in the F section, or are there others already as well?
[just saw you address that as well - if F section showing full, I'd be slightly surprised that they'd shuffle everyone back unless the J section is really empty; it would have made more sense to keep the F section blocked rather than opening it up for seating]

Last edited by Schultzois; Apr 25, 2018 at 11:28 am Reason: oops - thought flight was further out
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Remember that there will be passengers booked into CW on this but without seat assignments until closer to departure (Bronze/Ruby status) or check-in (no status). If the CW section only shows 8 unassigned right now, I'd say there's quite a decent chance that enough of them will fill up between now and then. I'd keep your row 1 for now, but also keep an eye on the seat map on the days before flight.
[edit - I misread and thought the flight was further away... I'd revisit at time of check-in]

Are you the only one seated in the F section, or are there others already as well?
Yes our flight (husband and me - both silver tier) are flying Friday afternoon and now since we changed our seats, all F seats are "booked", so there must be others as well
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:33 am

Personally, I'd chance keeping the F seats, but that's just me. And do OLCI when it opens to see if you're still in the same seats or you've been shifted...
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Personally, I'd chance keeping the F seats, but that's just me.
My husband called customer service and they said, that sometimes these things happen due to an aircraft change (as mentioned above), but he also wondered why they opened F, since CW isn't fully booked (that's what the customer service said on the telephone).

I think I'm going to switch my seats back to 11K, I'm just to afraid that they'll assign me back to a bad seat 🙈
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:39 am

My husband called customer service and they said, that sometimes these things happen due to an aircraft change (as mentioned above), but he also wondered why they opened F, since CW isn't fully booked (that's what the customer service said on the telephone).

I think I'm going to switch my seats back to 11K, I'm just to afraid that they'll assign me back to a bad seat ��
As there are two of you, that might be the smartest/safest thing. That way at least you will be seated together with near certainty as well.

I looked at the booking availability and seatmap on expertflyer as well... Showing J9C9D9R2I0 so definitely plenty of seats for sale. Also W9 Y9 so no chance they're oversold in the back and would need to roll passengers forward. The seat map is showing loads of unassigned seats as well...
nesbln likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
sorry for my bad English - I'm german 😅
Your English grammar and punctuation is better than half the people who post here.

Enjoy your trip.
nesbln, 86BA7, Geordie405 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

I think I'm going to switch my seats back to 11K, I'm just to afraid that they'll assign me back to a bad seat 🙈
The flight isn’t full in any cabin and the First cabin will be closed out and anyone seated there will be moved.
nesbln likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Your English grammar and punctuation is better than half the people who post here.
Including you!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Including you!
Well I did get a good grade in GCE O level English language, amongst other subjects, 45 years ago. And I do write TPs, not TP’s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.