Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 SJC Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:04 am

BA just cancelled my SJC to LHR flight on Friday. Seems like they may be about to rebook is out of SFO, but the seating isn’t good. Do I still qualify for EU261 compensation if I decide not to take the rebooking options?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
BA just cancelled my SJC to LHR flight on Friday. Seems like they may be about to rebook is out of SFO, but the seating isn’t good. Do I still qualify for EU261 compensation if I decide not to take the rebooking options?
Which cabin does the seating not look good? I don't think I'd reject this rebooking - have you found a rebook option that is better you can suggest in place? They'll be very accommodating
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Which cabin does the seating not look good? I don't think I'd reject this rebooking - have you found a rebook option that is better you can suggest in place? They'll be very accommodating
WTP - replacement from bulkhead side seats to middle seats in middle of cabin. Either in old 777 or 747. I wouldn’t want either of those unless they move us into club world.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
SJC is getting a load of canx. Was due to be flying Sat 9th Feb which was canx along with all other SJC flights until resumption on the 14th. Hope it stays that way as due to be flying back from SJC on the 16th.

Re your re -seat - If a 747 then will probably be a hi-J so nice seats in WTP (but not as nice as a WTP bulkhead on the 787). No idea re which 777 you'd get
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Re your re -seat - If a 747 then will probably be a hi-J so nice seats in WTP (but not as nice as a WTP bulkhead on the 787). No idea re which 777 you'd get
Unfortunaly Expert Flyer confirms both services on Friday have only the single blocked bulkhead seat otherwise some mid row seats..
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
My partner is on BA278 this Friday as well. Just tried the 8.25pm from SFO, it is full, now waiting for the information on 4.10pm.
Can someone please post the cancellation reason? Would it be subject to EC261?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by alien43
My partner is on BA278 this Friday as well. Just tried the 8.25pm from SFO, it is full, now waiting for the information on 4.10pm.
Should be if they cannot get you there with less than a 2 hour delay and not departing more than 1 hour early.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
SJC is getting a load of canx. Was due to be flying Sat 9th Feb which was canx along with all other SJC flights until resumption on the 14th. Hope it stays that way as due to be flying back from SJC on the 16th.

Thats no good. Supposed to take the SJC-LHR again on Feb 15th.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Should be if they cannot get you there with less than a 2 hour delay and not departing more than 1 hour early.
How might a different gateway airport affect this? If the proposed SFO flight departs less than 1 hour before than the old SJC flight, then you might want to be difficult and insist on leaving from SJC (even if that means BA putting on a taxi to take you to SFO) so that you can trigger EC261.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by alien43
The reason will presumably be the RR engine issues, which BA seem to be claiming are not liable to 261 compensation.

However, somewhere on here is the more definitive thread on that (the EC-261 thread I think) and the fact that the adjudicators have ruled that BA cannot claim exceptional circumstances on something they have known about for over 12 months
alien43 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
The reason will presumably be the RR engine issues, which BA seem to be claiming are not liable to 261 compensation.

However, somewhere on here is the more definitive thread on that (the EC-261 thread I think) and the fact that the adjudicators have ruled that BA cannot claim exceptional circumstances on something they have known about for over 12 months
Indeed, it must be getting to the point where every booking on these flights has been made *after* BA became aware of the engine problem. Indeed, these flights would have been loaded into the booking system despite the engine problems being known. Moreover, BA has launched new routes and added flights with these 787s (e.g. Durban) knowing about the constraints, so it's hard to see why they should be let off.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Having claimed and eventually won two EU261 claims against BA it seems par for the course to always try to deny any claim, make a lame excuse, and then for BA to fight it almost all the way (or all the way) to MCOL. It took 4-6 months each time but I eventually won. I think they figure most people will just give up. Its really crazy they try to claim exception circumstances for something they pretty much know is going to happen. And they still wont just move me to CW =p
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I raised this in another thread but with this I’m wondering again - how many of these have been fixed and/or still need to be fixed? And therefore potential time frame these cancellations continue to be a risk?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by SF1K
I raised this in another thread but with this I’m wondering again - how many of these have been fixed and/or still need to be fixed? And therefore potential time frame these cancellations continue to be a risk?
Still ongoing. Still 1 B787 sat with no engines, like that for more than 1 year, some others minus 1 engine and continuing inspections on others causing down time. Help is on the way with A350 deliveries commencing later this year and some retirements of older aircraft being held back.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy
Indeed, it must be getting to the point where every booking on these flights has been made *after* BA became aware of the engine problem. Indeed, these flights would have been loaded into the booking system despite the engine problems being known. Moreover, BA has launched new routes and added flights with these 787s (e.g. Durban) knowing about the constraints, so it's hard to see why they should be let off.
I have had 2 cases for this exact same cancellation reason rejected by BA and then passed onto CEDR who ruled in my favour for both cases. I would advise anyone who has their claim rejected by BA to ask for a referral to CEDR (as BA did not do it automatically when rejecting my claims) and then raise a case with CEDR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.