787 SJC Cancellations

Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:18 am

G-ZBKI arrived SJC on the 18th and still sitting on the ground in a remote area. Anyone know what's up?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Looking worrying: There's a few cancellations on the board:
BA279 on 17 Jul
BA278 on 17 Jul
BA278 on 18 Jul

Maybe just one aircraft gone tech, fingers crossed no more cancellations! I'm flying on the 22nd!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by jerub
Looking worrying: There's a few cancellations on the board:
BA279 on 17 Jul
BA278 on 17 Jul
BA278 on 18 Jul

Maybe just one aircraft gone tech, fingers crossed no more cancellations! I'm flying on the 22nd!
Probably just 1 aircraft. It is still sitting at SJC and is scheduled for 21 Jul LHR-MEX so not sure what they are doing with it.

No activity/equipment around it and no stairs to it either.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:34 pm

Any updates anyone??
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
BA 278 on Sep 8th is canceled.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
This flight sequence (BA 278, SJC-LHR, BA 279 LHR-SJC) seems to receive a great many cancellations. And these are weeks to months in advance (so not mechanical). We had a recent LHR-SJC cancelled for this past Tuesday many months ago. Switched to a LHR-SFO return. Checked maybe 7-10 days before our date, and 279 (LHR-SJC) was back, so we moved back.

Now 278 is cancelled for Feb 13. Switched to SJC-LAX-LHR.

Really makes me think that this route is in jeopardy given the number of cancellations for seeming load issues. Thoughts?

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by brp
This flight sequence (BA 278, SJC-LHR, BA 279 LHR-SJC) seems to receive a great many cancellations. And these are weeks to months in advance (so not mechanical). We had a recent LHR-SJC cancelled for this past Tuesday many months ago. Switched to a LHR-SFO return. Checked maybe 7-10 days before our date, and 279 (LHR-SJC) was back, so we moved back.

Now 278 is cancelled for Feb 13. Switched to SJC-LAX-LHR.

Really makes me think that this route is in jeopardy given the number of cancellations for seeming load issues. Thoughts?

Cheers.
Your assumption it is not mechanical is incorrect. BA have ongoing issues with the RR Trent 1000 engines on the B787, including 1 airframe that has been sat without engines for more than 1 year. This is the issue leading to cancellations. There is nothing wrong with route performance.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
Your assumption it is not mechanical is incorrect. BA have ongoing issues with the RR Trent 1000 engines on the B787, including 1 airframe that has been sat without engines for more than 1 year. This is the issue leading to cancellations. There is nothing wrong with route performance.
Interesting, thanks. But, if this were the case (and I'm not doubting), what would be the justification for a cancellation say 6-8 months out? If this one airframe were inoperative for that long, why schedule the flight, just to cancel on a particular day, but have it scheduled for the next day? And then reinstate the flight at a later date?

I'm glad to hear your assessment as we very much like this route. I'm just trying to understand the far advanced timing on these actions.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by brp
Interesting, thanks. But, if this were the case (and I'm not doubting), what would be the justification for a cancellation say 6-8 months out? If this one airframe were inoperative for that long, why schedule the flight, just to cancel on a particular day, but have it scheduled for the next day? And then reinstate the flight at a later date?

I'm glad to hear your assessment as we very much like this route. I'm just trying to understand the far advanced timing on these actions.

Cheers.
I did say including. Other aircraft are minus 1 engine, mandated inspections are required at much shorter intervals until replacement engines with a fix are supplied by Rolls Royce.The result is a shortage of aircraft to operate the route network for some time to come. Cancellations are being shared on different route, Doha and LAX are 2 that spring to mind.

This is a world wide problem with a number of airlines. Norwegan have 2 B787's at BHX without engines, ANA are also affected. There is nothing wrong with the route performance.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver, Marriott Gold
Was due to operate out on the 279 on 9th Feb and back on the 278 on 12th Feb. I received a roster change yesterday due to the cancellation, however no reason was given. From talking to other crew it appears that the crew in SJC due to operate back on 9th are flying back via SFO and not staying any extra nights. The week before the 787 rotation to LA is cancelled so I suspect, but cant be sure the reason is due to the 787 engine problems. From an operational point of view these flights are easy to cancel given LA has a further 2 flights a day and SFO has 2 flights daily.

The future of SJC is interesting, given Lufthansa is stopping its service, BA is the only direct service to Europe so should benefit from connecting traffic. My own personal experience having operated to SJC 8 times in the last 8 weeks is, its either a feast or famine. Last week the loads on my outbound were commercially disappointing (less than 110 pax) however the crew taking our flight straight back had a full flight.

Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bhdcommuter
The future of SJC is interesting, given Lufthansa is stopping its service, BA is the only direct service to Europe so should benefit from connecting traffic. My own personal experience having operated to SJC 8 times in the last 8 weeks is, its either a feast or famine. Last week the loads on my outbound were commercially disappointing (less than 110 pax) however the crew taking our flight straight back had a full flight.
Interesting. I used to fly through there regularly, in preference to SFO. But now that BA is paying for TSA Pre-check, the security line at SFO is a breeze. With better lounges (if you include Cathay) at SFO, and being a bit closer to the office, it's a no-brainer.
Now I only fly from/to SJC if I'm paying with Avios and there is more availability there.

I do hope they keep it up though - having another option to the Bay Area is great.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by estate

I do hope they keep it up though - having another option to the Bay Area is great.
So do I! I do enjoy my trips to SJC as I get to watch the Sharks.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly interesting perspectives. It's easy to look at things with a local lens not realize that some issues have a wider perspective. Still, with a very high percentage of cancellations on this route relative to bookings (admittedly with a pretty small sample), it does seem like this one is high on the "which flight should we get rid of today to deal with the engine issue" list
SJC is far more convenient for us (inferiority of lounges relative to SJC notwithstanding), so we will prefer this route...and I wish I'd know on our flight last week that BE were participating in Pre-Check with (if this is still current) a printed, not not mobile Boarding Pass. Our "regular" line was only 3 people, but would not have had to take off shoes and laptop out

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Me and my partner are booked to fly on 17th of July from LHR to SJC we booked business and upgraded to first with Avios.

We actually going to LA and we have hotel booked in LA on same day as flight as part of our BA holiday and have booked separate connection from SJC to LA outside the BA holiday package with AA, what would happen if they cancelled on this day?

do we get downgraded to business for alternative flight?
do we get our connection refunded ?
Will they still get us to LA same day otherwise will miss first hotel on the BA package and then our car hire the next day ?

😐

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nshep
Me and my partner are booked to fly on 17th of July from LHR to SJC we booked business and upgraded to first with Avios.

We actually going to LA and we have hotel booked in LA on same day as flight as part of our BA holiday and have booked separate connection from SJC to LA outside the BA holiday package with AA, what would happen if they cancelled on this day?

do we get downgraded to business for alternative flight?
do we get our connection refunded ?
Will they still get us to LA same day otherwise will miss first hotel on the BA package and then our car hire the next day ?

😐

So this is where I, unfortunately, have a fair bit of experience.

I have found BA to be brilliant about making things work and preserving cabin, even going as far as to make non-upgrade space be available (we typically book Premium Economy Economy and Avios to Business). Onour most recent cancellation, they made Business class available to us on AA (now going SJC-LAX-LHR).

I am quite certain that they would allow you to re-route direct to LAX and retain First. I don't believe, though, that they'd reimburse the SJC-LAX that you have separately, but it is worth asking as the re-route is completely on them.

Cheers.
nshep likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.