Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Union Coffee comes to BA premier cabin and lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

As per Business Traveller https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-special-brew/.Never heard of this brand before.
Originally Posted by Business Traveller
BA is set to change this with the introduction of Union hand-roasted coffee served in First, Club World and BA lounges from May.First class passengers can select from a range of coffee options including latte, cappuccino, filter coffee or espresso, while Club World passengers get Union’s filter coffee. Passengers flying in economy will miss out on the Union experience, but passengers able to gain access to BA’s lounges can enjoy Union coffee there.

Last edited by FlyerTalker688786; Apr 24, 2018 at 5:52 am Reason: Link wrong
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Having previously worked in this speciality (3rd wave) industry and having met one of the founders of Union (he's a good friend of a friend, not to name drop of course) but this is nice move for an Airline and something I'd loved to have achieved myself. I always thought it would be great to have a speciality coffee stand in lounges delivering (proper) barista crafted flat whites, capps and lattes to lounge guests.

Hopefully we might see flat whites in the skies one day! This move is certainly a vast improvement on Nespresso or those awful machines in the lounges.

Here's the BA PR...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...w/union-coffee
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Union coffee is great - working in Shoreditch I'm spoilt for choice with roasteries and artisan coffee on every corner but Union sells in Waitrose for about Ł5 for 250g ground and it's way above the supermarket competition like Taylors.

That said, it's all very well having the beans but some of that benefit goes away if it's ultimately made by an untrained person or as I suspect, gets mangled by basic coffee machines. A coffee bar with a barista like you see in Qantas and CX HKG lounges would be ideal...
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@rockflyertalk won't they still be using the nespresso machines in First class? Just a third party capsule?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And the all important Avios earning opportunity at the end of that BA publicity push:
BA Coffee Club
Union Coffee is now available for purchase on the British Airways Avios eStore, which means Executive Club members can now collect 5 Avios for every Ł1 spent on Union Coffee or receive a special introductory offer of 500 Avios on subscription packages to the BA Coffee Club. Shop now
msm2000uk and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by sxc
@rockflyertalk won't they still be using the nespresso machines in First class? Just a third party capsule?
There is not much detail in the PR. So I wouldn't know. Others, such as @corporate-wage-slave and CIHY may know more about this development and/or trying to serve cappuccinos in an aircraft and the challenges in doing so, galley space, machine requirements, safety etc. But if Nespresso can do so and I know other airlines serve up frothy based coffees in J/F cabins. So it's achievable with its confines and restrictions.

Even if this just means filter coffee from Union it's a step forward. Albeit it requires a decent ratio, grind and temperature to get the best out of the beans. I can't see Union wanting to do capsules, unless from the days I knew them, they have sold their souls...but they are very good at quality and scalability whilst retaining the quality in hot drinks. Well done BA.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Apr 24, 2018 at 6:21 am
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Does the lounge aspect of this just mean putting different beans into the existing machines? Or is there going to be a coffee bar?
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
When is this going to be from? I haven't found that mentioned in the article nor in the PR.

​​​​​​
I re-read the article. From May.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The mediacentre says "next month by 31 May" and the BA web says "June".

British Airways - BRITISH AIRWAYS PARTNERS WITH BRITISH BRAND TO PROVIDE COFFEE LOVERS WITH A LATTE OF OPTIONS

They also have a video. I'm a bit suspicious of this being from Shoreditch, no-one is sporting a beard.

https://d1btjlf89lsb3b.cloudfront.ne...1524562040.mp4
IAMORGAN, dylanks, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
When is this going to be from? I haven't found that mentioned in the article nor in the PR.

​​​​​​
I re-read the article. From May.
Although on the BA site, it says "launching June 2018", so who really knows?

If it takes 18 months for a "phased roll-out" of a new blanket on a CW seat, how long will it take to make a cup of coffee with a different sort of bean...?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:29 am

Should be a fairly quick roll out, BA have bean serving coffee for some time...

Bean jokes are allowed, right?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:33 am

I’m rather partial to good quality coffee, so view this as good news. As others have pointed out, you need someone with at least some training to get top notch coffee, but hopefully even without this, it will still be a noticeable improvement.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Having previously worked in this speciality (3rd wave) industry and having met one of the founders of Union (he's a good friend of a friend, not to name drop of course) but this is nice move for an Airline and something I'd loved to have achieved myself. I always thought it would be great to have a speciality coffee stand in lounges delivering (proper) barista crafted flat whites, capps and lattes to lounge guests.

Hopefully we might see flat whites in the skies one day! This move is certainly a vast improvement on Nespresso or those awful machines in the lounges.

Here's the BA PR...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...w/union-coffee
Hi rocketflyertalk, you say this as if it's something quite innovative, whereas there are already plenty of lounges with proper baristas (QF for example, and the Singapore dnata lounge is a third party one that is particularly good) and plenty of airlines where espresso has been available onboard for years.

While this is a welcome improvement, I still find it very disappointing that espresso still won’t be available in J class. This remains quite far behind the times.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
This seems like good news to me. That said, on my last First (which to be honest, was also my first First) I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the coffee. I'm not a complete coffee snob, but do like a nice brew and BA First certainly did the job (now I think about it, I had worked my way through some LPGS and a cocktail in the CCR, some kind of mini gin festival in GF, wines with my meal and assorted further drinks on board, so was probably a little pissed and grateful for the caffeine kick by then!)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:33 am

What do them use to make coffee in First now? I'm not a coffee snob, just drink it black, and use a Nespresso at home. I think the coffee they serve now is fine, but I'm also a fan of improvements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.