Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chaos at Funchal Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bisonrav
In a saturated situation, small perturbations create disproportionate effects - the example I gave of traffic joining a motorway and creating stop/go queuing behind it is a good example. It takes very little time for a car to merge in, but it causes braking that creates a standing wave back in the traffic, Another example is the rate of traffic flow on a road where it's not raining and traffic flows smoothly, and the same road where it is raining, when the very slight slowing and braking for individual vehicles can cause significant delays. Small effects multiplied by large numbers of occurrences create significant differences in outcome..
Your comparisons would be apposite if individuals did not stop at check-in desks at all and merely walked past at a brisk pace without stopping. In such a situation, then, yes, a separate flow will induce slow down. This is not the situation here. The analogy would be one of traffic which is already stationary to start with and only trickles through one by one with a significant interval between each individual. In such a situation, the merging of two separate flows versus one single longer flow has close to zero impact.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
You should try flying with BA from Genoa regularly as I do. Sometimes there is a Priority check-in desk, sometimes not and there are two normal desks. Sometimes when there is a Priority desk it is policed to ensure CE and status pax get priority, sometimes (correction - often) it is a free-for-all and although one desk may be labelled "Priority" it is effectively operates as a second normal desk and everyone just joins whatever queue they like.
Granada is another offender. Hasn't improved despite direct complaints to BA in the years of operation I've used it.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:18 am

To get back on topic, Mrs Muscat and Ms Muscat were on the same flight, on a BA holiday, travelling Club out and Eurotraveller back. Mrs Muscat (gold) was texted by the duty office and asked if she needed any assistance. She said yes, and they ended up back in Reid’s Hotel for the night, actually in the same room that they had checked out of . She got a phone call and text confirming the situation, and what was happening with the flight. The ground staff at Funchal were hopeless, but the BA Holidays duty office couldn’t have been better. (Gold line couldn’t or wouldn’t help). Almost no food on the way back as nothing had been loaded; if passengers had known, they could have bought food to take on board.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muscat
To get back on topic, Mrs Muscat and Ms Muscat were on the same flight, on a BA holiday, travelling Club out and Eurotraveller back. Mrs Muscat (gold) was texted by the duty office and asked if she needed any assistance. She said yes, and they ended up back in Reid’s Hotel for the night, actually in the same room that they had checked out of . She got a phone call and text confirming the situation, and what was happening with the flight. The ground staff at Funchal were hopeless, but the BA Holidays duty office couldn’t have been better. (Gold line couldn’t or wouldn’t help). Almost no food on the way back as nothing had been loaded; if passengers had known, they could have bought food to take on board.
More evidence that the only bit of BA that knows how to do Customer Service recovery is BA Holidays.
T8191 and 'andad like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
That’s when you have to drop the Britishness, approach an agent, calmly explain that you are in Club and with an elderly relative, and that you would like to be looked after more quickly. 9 out of 10 will help you.
I agree. In those places who shouts louder usually wins. It’s the survival of the fittest, unfortunately.Very sorry about your experience.
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I think you should complain.

I don't see why weather should alter check in arrangements for CE pax.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by Tracy100
Thanks for all your responses. Normally I wouldn’t mind too much. It is just my Mum is fiercely independent and would not want special assistance hence I paid for Club. I’m not doing a DYKWIA!
well then ok she will have to endure the 2 hour wait. Sorry but you cant expect the BA staff to read your mind

Also its not about being a dykwia, it’s about making a polite request
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

More evidence that the only bit of BA that knows how to do Customer Service recovery is BA Holidays.
My experience couldn't have been different when flying from Bordeaux last year, return flight was cancelled due to an ATC strike, I called BA Holidays and they made sure I was on the flight the following day but told me to sort out my own hotel arrangements and if I needed an extension to the car hire to also resolve this with Avis and claim back. I felt as if it was a bit of a gallic shrug but from someone with a British accent.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kosy91

well then ok she will have to endure the 2 hour wait. Sorry but you cant expect the BA staff to read your mind

Also its not about being a dykwia, it’s about making a polite request
I’m not expecting anyone to read my mind. What I am expecting is the service I paid for.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
I agree...but if you dont get it I think it's OK to go and inquire instead of ranting about it later on. There's nothing 'DYKWIA' about it
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:56 pm

This seems like a fairly petty complaint. It's an outstation and there were IRROPs. We're also talking about CE here and not Emirates First Class. The main complaint appears to be that there were queues and no dedicated CE check-in/bag drop. While I understand the nuisance, it's just one of those things I'd chalk up as bad luck and move on from it. My advice is..don't expect the red carpet on a intra-European flight in J, better yet don't throw money at BA by paying what they ask for it.
Greenpen and hugolover like this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Anyway this is hypothetical, as I don't know how Funchal operate.
That's the key statement.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify I did ask them to open a priority check in and they said they had decided not to do this. So I did ask and they said no. I wouldn’t not ask and then rant later..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.