Wiki Posts
Search

BA001 first timer - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
BA001 first timer - any tips?

Due to some good fortune and baredemptionfinder, I will be toddling onto BA001 very soon. Any up to date tips? In particular, at Shannon, does one disembark with hold luggage? I have the option (just - I think) of doing this trip with hand luggage only and reducing the faff factor at Shannon is a consideration. Also, at JFK how much time is having hold luggage going to waste me?

Anything else beyond the exciting and fascinating realm of hold luggage obviously very welcome.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
This is a great flight - you will enjoy it.
Your hold baggage remains loaded, but you must remove all hand baggage (You return to the same seat afterwards) you go back through TSA security - who in my experience seem a lot jollier than those at NY.
I was out of the airport in something like 15/20 minutes when I did it (With hold bags)

I think BA have done away with their lounge at LCY in favour of some restaurant credit, which probably isn't a bad thing, it felt a bit like it was in a builders hut canteen - but nice enough.

Enjoy,
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
We loved this flight and hope to do this again soon.

At Shannon you have to take all hand luggage off the aircraft with you whilst you clear US immigration-when we did this last year there was no queue whatsoever (6 desks open and it seemed like they were just waiting for our flight).

They show you a photograph of your checked luggage on a monitor and ask you to confirm that it is yours and we were back on board about 20-30 mins later.

Crew were great and mid Atlantic the captain came out and spent 10 mins chatting to us as most of the other passengers seemed to be asleep.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Greg66
Due to some good fortune and baredemptionfinder, I will be toddling onto BA001 very soon. Any up to date tips? In particular, at Shannon, does one disembark with hold luggage? I have the option (just - I think) of doing this trip with hand luggage only and reducing the faff factor at Shannon is a consideration. Also, at JFK how much time is having hold luggage going to waste me?

Anything else beyond the exciting and fascinating realm of hold luggage obviously very welcome.
All carry on items come off with you at SNN. You go through security first then through immigration & customs. Your hold luggage is unloaded and photographed and you are asked to confirm it is yours, you won't physically see it at SNN. Once that's done there is a small seating area for BA1 passengers near the gate. Whole process doesn't take long and you will be back on the plane within 40 minutes.

I think with any trip if you can do it without checked bags, you should. At JFK you walk straight to the baggage claim area and without immigration there you would be at the belt within a few minutes and well before your luggage arrives. It can take 10-15 minutes to get there normally.

There used to be a lounge like area at gate 24 but now instead you get a complimentary pre-flight meal and drink at Pilots Restaurant - you just need to show your bp. Tbh the whole service and LCY itself is not designed for you to turn up hours early so for a 0940 I would aim to get to LCY around 0830 at the earliest. You have a drink and starter between LCY and SNN and the rest of the service between SNN and JFK.

Also here is a guide to help your seat selection A Guide to Seats and Window Positions - A318 Babybus BA1-4 LCY-JFK

Originally Posted by Morph90
I think BA have done away with their lounge at LCY in favour of some restaurant credit, which probably isn't a bad thing, it felt a bit like it was in a builders hut canteen - but nice enough.
Er, what builder's huts are you going in to these days?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
All carry on items come off with you at SNN... Whole process doesn't take long and you will be back on the plane within 40 minutes.
Which it must be noted allows a nice amount of time for a pint of excellent Guinness at the bar from which you can see the BA "holding pen" so can follow the drier members of your flight to re board when the plane is fueled up.
KARFA and GrayBDG like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
and a there's a little outside smoking area for those that way inclined
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Excellent information chaps, esp in Karfa's exemplary Babybus thread. Many, many thanks. Hand luggage and row 7 it is!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Whole process doesn't take long and you will be back on the plane within 40 minutes.
Assuming nobody on board is held up at immigration to answer a few questions... (sorry, guys, hope I didn't keep you too long).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Assuming nobody on board is held up at immigration to answer a few questions... (sorry, guys, hope I didn't keep you too long).
At SNN they are very relaxed and friendly CBP agents. They don't seem to have come from the same training school as those at JFK
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
SNN isn't as quick as before. Now it's full security, with a few SSSS'd and exiting into duty free. Still doesn't take that long but not as convenient as it was.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by chistery
SNN isn't as quick as before. Now it's full security, with a few SSSS'd and exiting into duty free. Still doesn't take that long but not as convenient as it was.
I thought your SSSS extra stuff takes place at LCY? If you have SSSS does something extra also happen at SNN? If so what?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:38 am

I thought your SSSS extra stuff takes place at LCY? If you have SSSS does something extra also happen at SNN? If so what?
A number of people on our flight were selected. It seemed to delay them at the gate at LCY for a bit (looked like extra typing in the computer mostly), but they were getting more stringent screening at SNN than us and put into a different line.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Having hold luggage isn't really a factor at all in SNN - you just get shown your bags on a computer screen and have to confirm they are yours. You don't have to actually do anything with them.

As someone else has said - it's at JFK that not having hold luggage can be really neat. Because BA1 arrives into JFK as a 'domestic' flight, you walk off the plane and right into the terminal. You can be through the baggage belt in about 3-5 minutes, but your bags almost certainly take 10-15 minutes longer. If you can hand baggage and just walk out, so much the better.

Last time I did this, I was on the Airtain cruising past the BabyBus before the flight crew had even left the cockpit (I could see them!) - literally 6-7 minutes after walking away from my seat.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:16 am

I wasn't asked to identify my luggage on my last flight. Wondered if this had been removed since the "improved" security screening or they just forgot.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:20 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Greg66

Last time I took it the IFE was an old generation iPad with a very limited content selection. I am confident this is still an iPad, but maybe the content is richer now. Nevertheless you are better off by making sure you will have your own tablet loaded (or a book, Sudoku, music, ...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.