787 vs 777 First, Narita vs Haneda

Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
I’ve flown to/from both Haneda and Tokyo and the JAL lounge at Haneda is the best...champagne room, aviation museum/library, John Lobb shoe shine. Wonderful!

I was in F on the 777 and thought it was more than adequate. Winter schedule so didn’t have any choice. You could end up getting an aircraft change from the 787 anyway so choose the flight times and airports which work best for your trip.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:38 pm

I second Ruth4325's advice above.

Personally I would always choose an HND departure, irrespective of the choice of plane -- convenience outweighs Dreamliner vs 777. In any event, NRT's 789 service has been known to be swapped out for a 777 service in the past.

Ultimately I would go with the most convenient airport given for where you're staying, and the most convenient flight time for your plans.
GeeMac likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Haneda may not automatically be significantly more convenient. It's only 35 mins from the Yamanote line to Narita, and then factor in the comfort of limited express vs regular commuter train, especially at rush hour
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:48 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'd avoid the 8am departure at all costs.

I also have no complaints with NRT or the JAL 773 in J or F.

With discount Skyliner tickets, getting to/from NRT is a snap!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Haneda may not automatically be significantly more convenient. It's only 35 mins from the Yamanote line to Narita, and then factor in the comfort of limited express vs regular commuter train, especially at rush hour
I'm fully in support of that comment.
Depending on where you are in Tokyo, NRT may be a better location.

Also remember Keisei Skyliner ex-Ueno/Nippori if someone is staying on the East side of Tokyo.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:54 am

yea men thats true
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Only ever flown from HND. If doing Tokyo again I'd probably look closer at the to/from hotel logistics a bit closer than I did the last time. Whichever offers the most straightforward solution logistically would get my vote. I thoroughly enjoyed the HND lounge, and by the sounds of it NRT / HND are on a par in that regard.

The topic of logistics in Tokyo is an entire thread in itself, there are several, but I wouldn't make my decision based on the choice of 77w / maybe a Dreamliner for the reasons outlined above. No guarantees and in F how bad can either really be?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Any update on using F or BC on flights to TYO? Thinking of using a 2 for 1 voucher, most likely in Business so JL or AY not valid this time around. 787 on both Tokyo airport routes? Are the 777 used still the older ones? Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond
777 on HND, 789 on NRT at the moment...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by nivsy
Any update on using F or BC on flights to TYO? Thinking of using a 2 for 1 voucher, most likely in Business so JL or AY not valid this time around. 787 on both Tokyo airport routes? Are the 777 used still the older ones? Thanks.
Hi,

I think it can vary between the 777-200 and the 777-300 to HND ( I had the -300 outbound and -200 inbound a year ago).. F is still very good on the return from Japan ( long dayflight) and given it is a 777 F is better outbound also

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

777s are the newer 300ERs but still not as pleasant as the 787 with the latter's mini-cabin & better air. The HND vs NRT choice debated above partly depends on what your destination is in Japan - if connecting, the distance to NRT isn't important, though it has far less domestic connections. Remember there will also be the KIX option from next week.
On a 2 for 1 of course, it may be Hobson's choice!
nivsy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.