Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“You can’t take that on board” [hot liquids]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Flying from DUB to LHR in CE last weekend. Both this flight and the outbound a few days earlier were very nice with friendly and enthusiastic crews delivering a good service.

I want to ask for FT wisdom on one minor issue - I picked up a dark hot chocolate in Butlers (highly recommended if anyone wants a treat in DUB - I don’t usually indulge in sweet drinks but this is a worthy exception) with the intention of taking it onboard to drink while the rest of the passengers boarded. When Group 1 was called and I got to the podium, the gate agent told me it was forbidden to take it any further and invited me to stand at the gate to finish it off. I had a roll aboard bag with me and, concerned about not having overhead bin space, I threw it away so I could board swiftly.

Just curious as as to what the official rule is on this so I can avoid waste in the future? I have brought drinks onboard in similar circumstances at LHR before and wonder should I not have done that? Or perhaps it was a DUB-specific issue as the aircraft boarded at the 200 gates which necessitate a walk across the tarmac to the aircraft. Curious to hear your views on this highly trivial issue!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The rule is that no hot liquids should be carried onboard.
SFO777, windchaser777 and 27Liam like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Interesting. I have only ever heard that when being bussed to a plane. I didn't know you could take hot liquids on board.
aidy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks CIHY. Noted for next time!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could be right about that, let me check.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The rule is that no hot liquids should be carried onboard.
Never knew that, do you know why? I've taken a Pret coffee onboard at LCY before without being challenged.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think no hot drinks for bus gates seems well known. Hot drinks taken on the jetbridge at T5 seems ok. Not sure about where you walk for the terminal to the stairs as for DUB.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot get access to our ground staffs boarding procedures but no hot liquids on busses sounds very familiar.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Only restriction at the moment in LHR is where it is an off-pier movement requiring a bus.

There used to be a general restriction on hot liquids past the gate but that was lifted over 10 years ago.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sounds sensible.
If things like laptops have to stowed for take-off/landing to potentially avoid them becoming lethal objects flying around the cabin if anything goes amiss, hot liquids would be no better. However, how about putting it in a flask - which can be sealed and put away until safely airborne?
Grog and HIDDY like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the information SpeedbirdLHR.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:02 am

I travel with a Thermos mug, originally for use in hotels who seem to think a thimble of tea is enough (it isn't). Empty and open through security then fill it up at a cafe or lounge. Never been an issue (obviously look out for airports with at gate security). Excellent seals and saves waiting an eternity for BoB or service on long-haul.

https://www.thermosonline.co.uk/stor...7L-Blue/sp_644
Grog and kalderlake like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The no hot drinks rule applies for boarding via stairs, which is why DUB enforces it.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:09 am

At MAN they enforce this even when boarding via jet bridge.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Some of it may be airport operator driven rather than airline based on set up. Others may be the airline even where there is no airport restriction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.