Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“You can’t take that on board” [hot liquids]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“You can’t take that on board” [hot liquids]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, so far this all makes sense, DUB and MAN have wider rules than other places, INV doesn't mind people using hot drinks on stairs, A4 and A10 sometimes prohibit people with cold liquids in hot liquid style cups. Some airports such as LIN don't mind hot liquids on buses.

What to do? Well in the spirit of the age, which is moving against single use plastic cups, the use of re-usable thermal cups, sometimes perhaps carefully placed in hand luggage or a bag, seems the obvious way forward.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I'm sitting in an aisle seat and some blithering idiot spills his 'carry out' hot chocolate over me spoiling my Desmond Merrion suit in the process. Do I claim BA for the damage caused or the owner of the drink?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is less chance of you spending the sort of money needed to buy one of his suits than Concorde flying again.
Cris L, HIDDY, Calchas and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I have also run into a member of staff who insisted I couldn't carry my freshly purchased hot tea on board (in a cup with a lid on it) at DUB. Since there was little chance it would be cool enough to drink before boarding completed, I had to abandon it.

On another trip a week later, different staff had no problem. I think I even saw someone board with a hot drink on the first occasion, by having their boarding pass checked by the other member of staff than Mr Problem.

Originally Posted by Genius1
The no hot drinks rule applies for boarding via stairs, which is why DUB enforces it.
Both of these were boarding by air bridge, no buses (or walking on the apron) involved.

I think it's just one member of staff at DUB who has this wrong.

MAN groundside is populated almost entirely with unspeakably bad attitude people so nothing should come as a surprise there.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by flatlander
... MAN groundside is populated almost entirely with unspeakably bad attitude people so nothing should come as a surprise there.
Now whilst there have been a number of grumpy staff members at MAN, the majority of them are mostly pleasant and efficient - some (only a handful, granted!) are absolute treasures.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
The no hot drinks rule applies to Jet2 as well....Although the pilots are exempt....
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If I'm sitting in an aisle seat and some blithering idiot spills his 'carry out' hot chocolate over me spoiling my Desmond Merrion suit in the process. Do I claim BA for the damage caused or the owner of the drink?
When I've seen aisle spills, they've been caused by random feet sticking out into the aisle or by unpreventable turbulence. Of course, wearing a Burton suit instead would reduce the likelihood of it occurring at all (with the combination of Murphy's Law and plain ol' karma at play).
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Here's the onboard sign on a bus confirming no hot drinks permitted - this bus just met BA443 from AMS at LHR T5. Surely there would be a gate free at this time of the evening...

No hot drinks on BA buses
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There is less chance of you spending the sort of money needed to buy one of his suits than Concorde flying again.
I cant imagine they're that pricey...

Desmond Merrion - Local Data Search

Pop in for a suit, some chips with cheese and a battered sausage?
HIDDY and Calchas like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
For someone as tight as Hiddy every penny counts.
Cris L and HIDDY like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
If caused by a third party, the carrier is still liable up to the first 100,000 special drawing rights. Hopefully should cover your suit.
Cris L and HIDDY like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:54 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Try telling this to an American. In the US, people bring cups of coffee on to planes all the time. In my experience, sitting at the front of F and watching people come past, there has been a good handful of them on every flight I've been on. These are always disposable cups with lids, so no real danger of spillage unless dropped. Is it just BA that has this regulation?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I've been told to get rid of hot drinks without lids, by gate staff. Always fine with a lid.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
What qualifues as *hot*?

> outside temp
> inside ambient (20c)
> body temp 37c
> scald temp 49c
> ideal hot temp 60c

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18226454/

Just get some free ice from pret. Carry in a bag. Add to drink if deemed HOT by staff. Carry thermometer.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:15 pm

I’ve had coffee removed by Ryanair before. They claimed it was for safety reasons, however it’s quite convenient that being “safe” also boosts their potential Bob sales. I hope this isn’t BA’s next step to getting into the low cost carrier mindset!
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.