Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IANAL but in addition to EC261 regulations which apply to BA in this case as it is an EC carrier operating a flight to the EC, there are several USA laws and regulations that apply. However, note that I'm not suggesting that double compensation is possible in this case. USA laws and regulations apply on USA soil and also to flights departing from the USA.

USA DOT regulations cover IDBs:
Compensation capped at $1350 and is required to be paid in money (usually by mailing a check), not vouchers.
Carrier is required to have an approved plan for prioritizing IDBs and to follow that prioritization. Most airlines protect handicapped individuals, but other factors might include FF status, fare class or fare paid for the segment, and check in time. IIRC this plan must be published, usually as part of the CoC for USA airlines.
Carrier is required to first solicit volunteers before resorting to IDBs, but unfortunately there's no requirement that this be done with enthusiasm or that a reasonable amount of money/vouchers be offered.
Carrier is required to notify IDB individuals of their legal rights and protections.

ACCA = Air Carrier Access Act covers disability issues for airline passengers.

ADA = Americans with Disabilities Act covers other disability issues.

In California, there might be additional protections for disabled individuals on the state and/or local level as CA tends to be a very "disability friendly" place.

From the USA side, as Often1 pointed out, the carrier is required to have a qualified CRO available, at least by phone, at all times, although the CRO's assistance must be requested.

EC261 mandates the Euro600 payment (in money, not vouchers), versus the USA mandated maximum amount of $1350 or four times fare paid for the segment, whichever is lower. EC261 also mandates duty of care. There could be differences regarding requirements to rebook displaced passenger on other carriers in the same cabin of service, but unfortunately VS doesn't offer IFC, just business class, so the other nonstop service to LHR with a FC cabin is likely to be UA from SFO, which doesn't get great reviews. There should also be AA service (probably from SFO to get genuine FC on the domestic connecting flight) with at most one connection from a three class domestic aircraft to a TATL flight with IFC. AF probably has IFC on SFO-CDG but then just EuroBbusiness class on CDG-LHR. KLM doesn't offer IFC, nor does DL so AF would be the only possible SkyTeam option, but would give access to the FC lounge at CDG.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
EC261 mandates the Euro600 payment (in money, not vouchers), versus the USA mandated maximum amount of $1350 or four times fare paid for the segment, whichever is lower. EC261 also mandates duty of care. There could be differences regarding requirements to rebook displaced passenger on other carriers in the same cabin of service, but unfortunately VS doesn't offer IFC, just business class, so the other nonstop service to LHR with a FC cabin is likely to be UA from SFO, which doesn't get great reviews. There should also be AA service (probably from SFO to get genuine FC on the domestic connecting flight) with at most one connection from a three class domestic aircraft to a TATL flight with IFC. AF probably has IFC on SFO-CDG but then just EuroBbusiness class on CDG-LHR. KLM doesn't offer IFC, nor does DL so AF would be the only possible SkyTeam option, but would give access to the FC lounge at CDG.
Dont Lufty and Swiss still serve SFO with F?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why would the OP want to fly on a non direct flight when BA has offered them a First seat on a flight from SFO today?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why would the OP want to fly on a non direct flight when BA has offered them a First seat on a flight from SFO today?
For most of us being denied boarding is a hassle and a real PITA, but I can call any rental car company and/or hotel and get a hotel room and get to another airport if need be, and I know BA will be forced to pay for the privilege, as will my travel insurance.

IDB'ing a disabled person travelling in first and suggesting travel 4 days later without arranging transport or hotel would have me doubtful they would provide the service they required, and I at least would suggest the feeling of helplessness that BA has invoked by their actions (or lack thereof) is a perfect example of why someone may elect to take a more complicated route in the future.

The actions from BA in this case simply hasn't been good enough, which I think is unfortunate because usually, they are very good with these kinds of issues.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by V10
Not being able to downgrade anybody else because they were on bookings with more than one person sounds like absolute garbage.
+1 and I hope the OP will pick BA up on this, though we don’t exactly know if a downgrade was offered. Their email to YouFirst May have come before reading EU261 and references their assistance needs, but if not I find the fact YouFirst is unaware or operating ignorant of this worse than the local agents doing so. YouFirst should be jumping through hoops to sort this, not passing the OP over to CR.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
...Can you please confirm that you were not denied boarding and did intact refuse to travel in CW?
I'm not sure this inquisitorial tone is quite appropriate.
Dave_C, lhrpete, SkyTeem and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
But even so, they wouldn't try to accommodate OP in J and roll someone down? I just find this very strange. Almost as if it should have happened on UA.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
While I agree with you partially, direct questions STOP all speculations , some of which may sound like " OP I don't trust you fully...." Putting on armor now !
contractor likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly, I’m just looking for facts so that we are able to make a judgement, I have the feeling that we are only being told what they want us to hear.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If the OP wants advice that provides efficacy then the question posed may be significant. The more accurate information we have, the more accurate the advice will be.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

If the OP wants advice that provides efficacy then the question posed may be significant.
indeed: but I think enquiry might be made in a less adversarial manner.
lhrpete and mrow like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something that they don’t seem to want to share with us despite being online.
If BA are at fault I want them to make amends to the OP.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
While I agree with you partially, direct questions STOP all speculations , some of which may sound like " OP I don't trust you fully...." Putting on armor now !
I'm sure CIHY was being over-eager rather than antagonistic. But it was a brutally leading question, put bluntly to an OP who is clearly bruised from appalling treatment received from BA's agents.

Common sense, and, as I understand it, regulations in force on both sides of the Atlantic, suggest she should have been accommodated in the class booked at the expense of inconvenience to other passengers in first-class. If there were seats available in the club cabin (the scenario CIHY seems determined to document), then one of the more able-bodied first-class passengers should have been downgraded.

The OP received cogent advice from CWS. I think "looking for facts so that we can make a judgement" is rather overstating and aggrandising our role in this sad case.
lhrpete, SkyTeem, V10 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Dont Lufty and Swiss still serve SFO with F?

Probably, but that would mean departure from SFO on a *A connection to Eurobusiness at FRA, MUC, ZRH, etc. (all of which are farther from LHR than CDG), not FC on the entire route. Within *A, if there's a nonstop on UA, this would seem to be more appropriate for the OP's needs, especially if the UA aircraft has an suitable FC cabin
Calchas likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you know me, I will always call a spade a spade and will say it as I see it, I will also always apologise when I am wrong.
I am suspicious of the lack of facts and the reason for not sharing them.
henry999 and cjb666 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you know me, I will always call a spade a spade and will say it as I see it, I will also always apologise when I am wrong.
I am suspicious of the lack of facts and the reason for not sharing them.
I do see your point. An anonymous internet forum attracts trolls as well as us saints

But we are more or less obliged to accept stories as they come, until inconsistencies lead to mistrust. Things usually come out in the wash, and I'd suggest it's best now to wait to hear more from the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.