Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When does BA update JFK schedule from all 777s to 777/747?

Old Apr 20, 18, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards

Iíve just booked to go to JFK next March in J and want to get in early to reserve seats in the bubble but the schedule shows both flights are on 777s. Research shows these are nearly always 747 flights.

How far in advance does the schedule get updated?
Old Apr 20, 18, 1:58 am

You may be being over-optimistic. The reason those particular flights are showing as 777s on those dates is because BA currently thinks they will be flown by 777s.

That could of course change, basically any time from now up to departure, but at the moment you should expect a 777.
Also your research isnít right - JFK schedules continue to be a mix of 777 and 747.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Apr 20, 18 at 2:03 am
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
The flights I've booked are nearly always 747 according to www.thebasource.com and I also looked at alternatives to the flights booked, and they too are usually 747s.

If all of these are going to be 777, where are the 747s going? Unless I've missed something, there aren't many scheduled for retirement over the next 12 months and I certainly haven't read anything about the 747s being moved off the LHR-JFK route.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
The JFK route is open to changes of equipment between 744, 772, and 77W on a nearly permanent basis. I have had changes occurring all the way till day of departure.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:36 am

I recently booked for November and had to search around for 747-operated flights. Most flights showed a 777.
Old Apr 20, 18, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver
I imagine with amount of swapping around going on in the next year with 777 & 747 being taken off for refurb and maintenance, WiFi fit outs, etc thereís no guarantee until a few days before as to what aircraft youíll get. Even then it can change last minute. I would keep an eye on it and see what happens. 747s tend to be the majority on this route but we are only guessing g...
Old Apr 20, 18, 6:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
Iíve just booked to go to JFK next March in J and want to get in early to reserve seats in the bubble but the schedule shows both flights are on 777s. Research shows these are nearly always 747 flights.

How far in advance does the schedule get updated?
The winter terminal generally gets updated / shuffled around july. But even after then, some late switches can be expected, particularly on this route.
I was also looking at December and was disappointed to see so many 777s in the schedule.
Old Apr 20, 18, 6:54 am

Always remember next year the A350's start to arrive.
mikeyfly and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 7:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
The ratio of 777s to 747s is tied to day of week and the time of year. This has always been the case. During the summer and on peak days, it is heavily 747s (sometimes all 747s). On off peak days/slow travel periods (for that route), it often becomes mainly 777s. This is nothing new.

That said, I have never agreed to fly one in J on this route. If not 747 UD or F, then its definitely over to AA.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:19 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
. This is nothing new.
It is a good few years since the number of 777s has been as many as are in the current winter schedule.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
It is a good few years since the number of 777s has been as many as are in the current winter schedule.
Indeed. On dates for next year when booking there are days with no 747s at all to JFK which definitely is not usual for that route. I do wonder whether some of them will be swapped to 747s closer to the date, or even A350s which are due as noted by rapidex.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:42 am

I had a similar wonder about the BOS-LHR route I fly in December. Currently scheduled as a 772, but service at the moment flips between A380 and 747. I'd really like my girlfriend to fly on the 747 before they're gone, but I don't really care which plane we end up flying.
Old Apr 20, 18, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ibmman69 View Post
I had a similar wonder about the BOS-LHR route I fly in December. Currently scheduled as a 772, but service at the moment flips between A380 and 747. I'd really like my girlfriend to fly on the 747 before they're gone, but I don't really care which plane we end up flying.
In my experience wives (and probably girlfriends - though not my personal experience in case Mrs S is reading this) place far less importance on what plane they travel in, nor what seat they sit in, as their more enthusiastic husbands (or boyfriends - NB not my experience either!!)
jfallesen likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by snuffi View Post
In my experience wives (and probably girlfriends - though not my personal experience in case Mrs S is reading this) place far less importance on what plane they travel in, nor what seat they sit in, as their more enthusiastic husbands (or boyfriends - NB not my experience either!!)
I'd agree with this, however with BA its rather polar when its comes to their fleet, with refurb 747s vs non-refurb 747, same goes with the 777's. IFE is just as inconsistent. There is now a few (especially on the NYLON route) birds with WiFi.

I had this exact same discussion with my family who wanted to go from LGW to JFK (BA) vs LHR. The pure reason is convenience, LGW is just easy to get to. However spending 7 hours on an old 777 with 1990's IFE, potentially dirty seats and a higher chance of cancellation, I made the argument (quite strongly) that LHR is far the better option, if you can get the new 86J 747 or AA from T3 (great lounges), potentially wifi, better food, newer seats (in Y). So overall I think this is worth investigating and making a decision on, because of the deltas involved. Otherwise I'd say yes it really doesn't matter what they travel in or on but BA can be quite different.
Old Apr 20, 18, 9:59 am

Programs: 2 frequent flyer accounts and 76 mental illnesses
It's mostly 777's in the winter season and a mix of 777's/747's in the summer based on my experience. So what your seeing now (summer timetable) is likely to be completely different in the winter. It also changes quite often and close to the flight, back when myflights was a thing, it wasn't uncommon for a 777 to change to a 747 a week or two before the flight, however I have never had a 747 change to a 777.

Pick the busiest flight and hope for the best.

Search this Thread