Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Alex Cruz: “We are - and will always be - a quality airline" [Routesonline interview]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alex Cruz: “We are - and will always be - a quality airline" [Routesonline interview]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

actually, regardless of the contents of this thread, the interview is completely empty:

first question on what new routes will be launched and on whether there will be long haul services from cities others than London: not answered

second question on whether needed growth in China will be answered by new partnerships or new routes: not answered

third question on brexit: not answered

only question part answered is confirmation the first A350 is expected next year (other part of question on 787-10 not answered)

the question on on personal challenges not answered but I’ll give him a pass here as the question was quite poor.
Indeed.
The important strategic question on China got no answer. BA is very, very weak on China (especially compared to AFKL destinations).
Will BA fly its own metal on many other destinations or deepen its partnership with China Southern without flying its own metal?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by GBobon
BA's Alex Cruz: “We are - and will always be - a quality airline"
Wasn't it Hitler who said that the bigger the lie the more people would believe it?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Looking at the wording at the top of the website's article, I suspect this was not a face to face interview, he just doesn't speak like this. It's either been heavily edited or was actually a set of questions sent it to the Chief Exec's office and duly returned by email..
I suspect you are right and that it contributes to the impression of a rather vacuous 'interview'.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed.
The important strategic question on China got no answer. BA is very, very weak on China (especially compared to AFKL destinations).
Will BA fly its own metal on many other destinations or deepen its partnership with China Southern without flying its own metal?
This is part of why Norwegian makes sense for IAG, I suppose. High TATL market share (+ the JV) is a huge part of what keeps BA so profitable and the strategy as far as I can discern it is therefore just to keep throwing more routes at the US as new, more efficient aircraft open them up as viable.

I wouldn't count on a flurry of new BA routes to China any time soon, CTU effectively proved that it just doesn't work for BA currently the same way as secondary US destinations do. In a post-Brexit world, there'll be even less demand for them I imagine. London is also better placed as a hub to the US than it is as one to Asia. At best we might get a couple of new Asian destinations in the next decade (KIX or TPE would be nice).

I'm not even sure they'll deepen the partnership with CZ, not unless CX leaves oneworld.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Apr 20, 2018 at 6:15 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer

Has this statement been enhanced from the previous statements that ‘we are a premium airline’? 😀
This. I won’t type lol for the sake of it because I did actually laugh out loud at this. We have gone from premium to quality (the good, the bad...)

Only Cruz or Walsh could find an enhancement in his own words, if indeed they are his own words!

But on a more serious note, I agree with @orbitmic, none, if any, answers were given. If it was him, he’d make a great politician and politicians can be very good at cutting costs.
orbitmic and LBA_flyer like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
But I want BA to aspire to be a premium airline.
If they buy Norwegian, they should have a decent number of cheapo airlines, so they can make a real choice about Business Strategy and their allocation of Resources. If all the money goes to Level and Norwegian, we will know what their strategy is. Being Cheap.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You state that 'Gold track was Keith’s baby not Cruz’s, and the JFK refurb was forced on BA as part of its lease renewal' I'm interested in learning where this information came from, in that is the statement you make pure speculation on your part or is there some publicly available evidence to corroborate the claim.
There’s plenty out there - as already posted by other fact checkers. The facts speak for themselves. (Also check the timeline on goldtrack plan and build.)

Clearly, anyone who was anyone in GGL would have had the pleasurable experience of speaking with the previous CEO and would know this all anyway.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 20, 2018 at 9:30 am Reason: To comply with rules 12.1 and 12.2
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by DFB_london

There’s plenty out there - as already posted by other fact checkers. The facts speak for themselves. (Also check the timeline on goldtrack plan and build.)

Clearly, anyone who was anyone in GGL would have had the pleasurable experience of speaking with the previous CEO and would know this all anyway.
Hear hear. Keith Williams was talking about the First Wing long before Cruz even joined IAG.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 20, 2018 at 9:31 am Reason: amend quotation
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by chongcao
I am not so sure about a new Club seats by 2022. I think this is referring to the current refurbishment schedule on B747/B777 to install A380/B787 style economy class seats and PEY. Then add new interiors to take things up right to standard. As well as the planned introduction of wifi service. Basically all planned is cosmetic besides the wifi. I don't see BA to announce new CW seats until 2020 for debut in 2023. It unfortunately has to be next product cycle and finance cycle too.
On this things looks little better - A350 in 2019 but very few of them) with new seat... 777 refurb rapidly after. But seems like 787, and 380 might be quite a wait. 747s in the way out so seems never on new seat, and lcy-Jfk on borrowed time so not relevant.

this was all pre Norwegian - so perhaps they’ll starve BA to buy that instead?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by duchanhld
If you have to keep saying it...
A bit like the incessant BA bashing on FlyerTalk then...

"I haven't flown BA in years but they are terrible!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.