Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HBO in one direction only - new feature?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
HBO in one direction only - new feature?

I noticed last night when booking a short haul trip that it is now possible to mix and match between the HBO "Economy Basic" fare and the semi-flexible "Economy Plus" fare. I could never really understand why this wasn't allowed before, and it's a handy feature to be able to pay a little extra for flexibility on the inbound flight without having to do so for the outbound. Has this just changed recently or did everyone else already know?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:23 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by vindaloo
I noticed last night when booking a short haul trip that it is now possible to mix and match between the HBO "Economy Basic" fare and the semi-flexible "Economy Plus" fare. I could never really understand why this wasn't allowed before, and it's a handy feature to be able to pay a little extra for flexibility on the inbound flight without having to do so for the outbound. Has this just changed recently or did everyone else already know?
Have not noticed this - but it is a welcome addition. Hopefully it will allow a basic HBO fare in one direction and a CE in the other as sometimes on a regular route I fly there is an amazing CE fare in one direction only - always good for some TPs towards the end of my status year ^
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOH
Hopefully it will allow a basic HBO fare in one direction and a CE in the other
Yes, this is possible too. You can just book whatever combination you want.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The reason it wasn't originally allowed is because BA policy used to be the highest baggage allowance on your trip applied to all legs. This meant that if you took an upgrade offer to upgrade 1 leg to CE you'd also get the 2 bag allowance on your HBO leg,
Now that's no longer the case it now means you can mix and match.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:44 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH
Have not noticed this - but it is a welcome addition. Hopefully it will allow a basic HBO fare in one direction and a CE in the other as sometimes on a regular route I fly there is an amazing CE fare in one direction only - always good for some TPs towards the end of my status year ^
I've noticed that BA.com now doesn't allow mixing and matching of Economy and CE fares. I have previously successfully booked LHR-GLA with CE outbound and Y return. When I now try to book this on BA.com when you select Economy or Business class on the outbound, it limits your inbound options to the same class, with the other saying "Not available".
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
I've noticed that BA.com now doesn't allow mixing and matching of Economy and CE fares. I have previously successfully booked LHR-GLA with CE outbound and Y return. When I now try to book this on BA.com when you select Economy or Business class on the outbound, it limits your inbound options to the same class, with the other saying "Not available".
It doesn't for me. I've just tried it and it let me select Economy Basic on the way out and CE back.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I believe this started on 4 April when basic fares moved from being private to public fares, there was some coverage of it below. Basic fares are now combinable though it's taken a fair time (ahem) to actually be switched on.

News: Basic Fares (HBO) to become combinable
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:49 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vindaloo
It doesn't for me. I've just tried it and it let me select Economy Basic on the way out and CE back.
Which route did you try? I've done a few dummy bookings and I can combine on most of the routes I tested, but for some reason why I try LHR-GLA and LHR-EDI I get the "Not available" for the other class. It's probably some mistake in the way the fares have been loaded for GLA & EDI.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I can imagine shopping trips becoming much more intense. Depart London with only a credit card and return with a suitcase full of goodies. I wonder if HM Customs will take an interest.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
Which route did you try? I've done a few dummy bookings and I can combine on most of the routes I tested, but for some reason why I try LHR-GLA and LHR-EDI I get the "Not available" for the other class. It's probably some mistake in the way the fares have been loaded for GLA & EDI.
I was looking at BHD, but then I tried EDI and got the same as you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.