FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Middle name ‘should’ be on booking? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1904588-middle-name-should-booking.html)

divenow67 Apr 18, 2018 3:01 am

Middle name ‘should’ be on booking?

Just
Just checked a bag in at LGW BA and the lady on the desk advised me that in future I must remember to include my full name (including the middle one) on the booking so that it matches my passport exactly otherwise I will encounter a £60 fine/fee on arrival to USA ( I have an I-visa and never had a problem...) and ‘some other European countries don’t like it either’ Now I like to think that, like many on here I’m sure, I’m a well seasoned traveller but in more than thirty years of flying I have never been advised of this before, so my question, dear fellow frequent flyers, is has anyone else ever encountered this?

LondonElite Apr 18, 2018 3:06 am

This is nonsense.

ThatT1Feeling Apr 18, 2018 3:06 am

Hello, my middle name isn't in my corporate booking tool and therefore can't have appeared on any of my work bookings - and I've never heard of this before.. However if it's recommended for the US, I wouldn't have any issue with adding it.

KARFA Apr 18, 2018 3:06 am

Middle name should be in your APIS which you add to the booking along with passport information etc., but your middle name does not have to be in the passenger name on the booking - and that is correct for European travel to the US.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 18, 2018 3:14 am

The reality is that check-in agents rarely have much appreciation on the pattern matching used by DHS and other agencies. I guess she was trying to be helpful, but she was just incorrect. Middle name processing cannot work off the millions of people in this world (including at least 4 heads of state) who only have a total of one name. Middle names are more a nuisance than anything else, given the prevalence of matronymics, a factor which gets in the way of middle name processing. She was right however that some - not all - European countries have an API system, as do some other countries. But in all the cases I know of, the match is made primarily on passport issuing state, passport number, passport expiry date, and date of birth, name matching is somewhere down the hierarchy. It has to be so, since the majority of the planet doesn't use Latin script and there is no agreed transliteration between the 40 of so scripts recognised by the UN and Latin. Moreover most GDS and also FLY - cannot accept some characters of the Latin script either.

divenow67 Apr 18, 2018 3:18 am

Yes, I thought this was rather odd. My most comprehensive data resides within my Exec Club profile which is added to all my BA bookings but most of my bookings in the past have only had my first and last name on them with no issue. I notice however on some bookings where a client books my travel that my first and middle names appear as one long name so maybe I’m not up to date with current requirements?

To make matters worse she issued me with a yellow tag for my small carry-on rucksack which I appear to have mislaid.

SteveF Apr 18, 2018 3:19 am

Rubbish. My middle name is on my passport and driving license, but I never use it anywhere else, including on flight bookings. It has never been an issue.

NRGsaver Apr 18, 2018 4:14 am

I'm glad to be told authoritatively that the check-in person was wrong. I have three middle names (indecisive parents, I guess) so getting them all into the booking would be problematic. I regularly run out of space on other forms as it is. I would add that in countless flights over the years to about forty different countries I have only ever used first name and last name on bookings and I have never had a problem.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 18, 2018 4:34 am

Look at this way: can you imagine Señor Alejandro de Llano, on a cheapo £34.96 HBO to BCN, of which he is understandably fond, being told rather forcefully at LGW check-in that his middle name is Cruz?

BrunswickSq Apr 18, 2018 5:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29654922)
Look at this way: can you imagine Señor Alejandro de Llano, on a cheapo £34.96 HBO to BCN, of which he is understandably fond, being told rather forcefully at LGW check-in that his middle name is Cruz?

My immediate thought was the late 18th Duchess of Alba:

María del Rosario Cayetana Paloma Alfonsa Victoria Eugenia Fernanda Teresa Francisca de Paula Lourdes Antonia Josefa Fausta Rita Castor Dorotea Santa Esperanza Fitz-James Stuart, Silva, Falcó y Gurtubay

Phil the Flyer Apr 18, 2018 6:17 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 29654785)
Rubbish. My middle name is on my passport and driving license, but I never use it anywhere else, including on flight bookings. It has never been an issue.

Having a one-letter surname - F - must raise a few eyebrows though. ;)

SteveF Apr 18, 2018 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 29655161)
Having a one-letter surname - F - must raise a few eyebrows though. ;)

My TA in Muscat couldn't even get that right once. I was booked (and flew both ways) as Mr Steve. Even my first name didn't match that in my passport.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 18, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 29655276)
My TA in Muscat couldn't even get that right once. I was booked (and flew both ways) as Mr Steve. Even my first name didn't match that in my passport.

Did the sky fall in?

SteveF Apr 18, 2018 7:03 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29655296)
Did the sky fall in?

Nope, no one seemed to care. Even I thought I'd have to buy a new ticket and sort it out later (it was a fully-flex CW).

sjc2679 Apr 18, 2018 7:03 am

I have had my middle name hand written on my boarding pass by the BA agents at SIN numerous times and been told my booking should always match my passport. Vietnam Airlines did the same on internal flights. I've learnt to just shrug my shoulders and let them do what they want now!