Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LH aircraft used on SH routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
BA LH aircraft used on SH routes

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, but couldn't find one.

Is there a list of SH routes/flights that regularly have LH aircraft? The Madrid 777 springs to mind but what are the others? A bit of background to this question, I have a couple of Lloyds CC upgrade vouchers and don't think I will have chance to book a LH trip before they expire and so interested in making best use on a SH trip as ET to CE Avios value is pretty poor.

Many thanks,

GP
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Only Madrid. You'll occasionally (and increasingly rarely) see the midhaul A321s out and about the shorthaul network, but that's not something you can rely on.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:05 pm

MAD is the only shorthaul route that gets a proper longhaul aircraft.

Otherwise the A321 mid-haul often does rotations on routes including ARN, FRA and EDI. There is a list somewhere here but I can't find it now. Always subject to change.

CAI, TLV, AMM, BEY and DME are short-ish routes that are sold as longhaul.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
One list from last year:
list of 321 mid-haul (ex BMI) routes?

See also:
Ex BMI A321 - Lie-flat CE to FCO
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1867023-domestic-layflat-seats.html
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Points above are correct. Note that very exceptionally, BA can run long haul planes on short haul routes as one off's. We get 777s at NCE a few times each year, either for a super busy Bank Holiday+Monaco Grand Prix+Cannes festival flight or following some cancellations due to weather. However, this is usually unpredictable.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Thanks for the quick replies. A shame, however, I've never been to Madrid so could be worth a weekend visit!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:18 pm

Can we have a 747 to GLA again?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Thanks for the quick replies. A shame, however, I've never been to Madrid so could be worth a weekend visit!
Madrid is definitely worth a visit, whichever aircraft gets you there.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
You'll occasionally (and increasingly rarely) see the midhaul A321s out and about the shorthaul network, but that's not something you can rely on.
I had the midhaul A321 on NCL-LHR the other day, sitting in 1A. To be honest I thought that the seat was uncomfortable and on a flight that length I prefer the regular CE cabin.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Madrid is definitely worth a visit, whichever aircraft gets you there.
Thanks, will definitely now consider it.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
A few years ago I flew in a BA 747 from FCO-LHR. It was soon after a fire had gutted part of the terminal, so a lot of irrops going on.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:30 am
Suspended

BOS and YUL aren’t really that far away.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
The 767 sort of looks long haulish inside... one morning flight per day from FRA-LHR and LHR-FRA uses them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.