Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 ZipCar Flex

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
None available at 10.30 this morning in T5 though ( was passing through, but just looking out of curiosity more than really needing to use it )
Old May 17, 2018, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Has anyone managed to pick up a car from Central London, and drive to Heathrow for the low price?

M
Old May 17, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Just to add I used this yesterday from LHR T5 to SW12 ... overall very impressed

Pickup couldn't be simpler .. the cars are located in the Avis area on Level 4 of the Terminal 5 car part ( it's at the North end ) .. Booking in the app was no problem, there were a couple of them lined up there ready to go ... You just use the phone app to unlock the car, jump in , grab the keys from the glove compartment and drive off ... Number plates are recognised at the T5 car park barriers so you just drive out

Compared to the frequent messing around that is involved with getting an Uber pick up from T5 it's much smoother and almost certainly quicker exit from the airport.

Main drawback is the only cars are VW Polos which have very little luggage space ... The boot would fit two hand luggage size wheeled bags and a rucksack or one larger checked bag and some hand luggage ... You could fit four adults comfortably enough in the car, but not with their associated luggage !

As I live in the 'drop zone' then I could just park the car outside my house ( where I'd guess it will sit for days, not sure Zipcar Flex gets used too much! ) , put the keys in and lock it up. Overall including loading / unloading and a bit of traffic it took just under 1 1/2 hours and the trip cost was around £19 , plus their £5 airport fee .... At £24 it's not much more than half what an Uber would have cost.

So as long as you are travelling to the 'Drop Zone' and don't have too much luggage ( but a bit too much to use the tube/train) then I'd thoroughly recommend
If you live in SW12 the way to get to Heathrow is via the Wheely app. £40 fixed fee private car hire, all Mercedes E or C class fleet. Drivers always professional and amazing. Bookable in advance and the guy stands in arrivals with your name on a board.

If you want to try them out and get 20% off your first journey, PM me for a referral code and I get 20% off my next journey too!
Old May 18, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Has anyone managed to pick up a car from Central London, and drive to Heathrow for the low price?

M
Yes, no problem with that. I'd just note that ZipCar separately adds an extra GBP 5 charge for pick-up/drop-off at Heathrow a few days later. Still around GBP 20 from central London.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Signed up to and used Zip car for the first time last week for a local journey; my car was still at the in-laws out of town so it was a good time to try it. I found it a shame how battered the Polo was considering it was only 1,100 miles old.

Having looked at their Careers page out of interest (Fleet stuff interests me :-)) I see they have a site in Bracknell so I imagine the LHR presence will work well for them as it may mean employees spend less time taking new cars into London but dropping them into the system at the airport instead.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
There's a zipcar not far from where I live... when I finally get over the fact that you guys drive the wrong side of the road, I will have a go at it

How far is the drop-off from check-in?
Old May 18, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
How far is the drop-off from check-in?
It's at the Avis car park (inside the short stay car park), so fairly close.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by boonkoh
If you live in SW12 the way to get to Heathrow is via the Wheely app. £40 fixed fee private car hire, all Mercedes E or C class fleet. Drivers always professional and amazing. Bookable in advance and the guy stands in arrivals with your name on a board.

If you want to try them out and get 20% off your first journey, PM me for a referral code and I get 20% off my next journey too!

Sounds a bit too good to be true ( that's about the same cost as UberX with no traffic ) , but I'll keep it in mind
Old May 18, 2018, 2:56 pm

"There's a zipcar not far from where I live.."
That's sounds like a 'normal' zipcar, which has a dedicated bay and must be returned to that same parking bay.
This is flex, where the cars don't have a permanent space, and (if the system works in the way Avis hopes it will) any car parked near you now will be gone shortly.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Used Zipcar flex today. £18 Dulwich to T5 vs £50 Uber. As a bonus someone had kindly dropped a car off directly outside my house overnight. There were lots of cars avail for collection at T5. Game-changer for me at least.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Used Zipcar Flex for the first time this week, Balham to Heathrow for £17 (including the £5 airport charge). Super easy and an absolute bargain compared to the £77 that Addison Lee charged me to come home later that day.

Only minor criticism is the drop off in the "clearly branded area" near to the Avis / Budget drop off area. "Clearly branded" is a single flag on a stand in a parking bay - nearly drove past it, although maybe that was also because it was still only 6am
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:58 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:31 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Btw the exit barriers were not reading number plates well at T5 last night, best to drive up and press the help button.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
The app has been showing cars available for pickup at T3&4 Avis office during the last 2 days when I've checked, rather than T5 blue zipflex area on the map.

Is that a bug and should I still go to T5 Level 4, or have things changed now and need you to get shuttle to the T3&4 Avis office?

Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:03 am
Suspended

I picked a car up in January, use location ‘terminal 5’, not Heathrow.

Did you click on the box on the right for ‘flex’?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.