Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA eStore Reversals Common or just me!?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I preferred the Avios platform to the BA one. I've got a lot of points from Apple, which have proven to be for me far and away the best retailer through the portal. BA only allow 2 iPhones per month, whereas there didn't seem to be a limit on Avios. If I have to buy more than 2 in any one month I'll do subsequent ones through Virgin. Hilton the worst for not paying, hotels.com always reduce the amount of Avios, which is as per their T&C's, but the T&C's are not clear as to what rate is used or how it's calculated. All very unclear and the process is not geared to the consumer at all, everything is at their discretion.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
I queried this with eStore CS in January and they were investigating it after I resubmitted not only my receipt but also the reserve and collect reservation.
Sorry, just seen this. I don't think it's clear on the estore website (or indeed any other cashback/affiliate websites), but I didn't think reserve and collect got awarded any affiliate points, and therefore Avios / cashback / whatever currency. Click and collect, yes, where the payment is taken immediately on the website, and the shop is just a place to collect/no different from a post office/Collect+

But for reserve and collect, or where payment is only taken in store, then the transaction does not technically take place on the website, and it is no different from buying in store - just that someone has set it aside from you. As a result, I try to avoid reserve and collect from Argos, PC World et al, if I'm trying to get affiliate benefits/Avios/cashback

YMMV, but I think it's in the Ts & Cs (of the retailer, if not the estore)

...Separately, I've had a actual flight credit (160TPs and 10ks of Avios) reversed by BAEC, when I queried why I didn't get any credit for the return trip Now that IS frustrating
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:23 am
dk9

A bit of an old thread but after having multiple transactions reversed by various retailers from months ago I would like to warn people to never use the BA avios estore again. Better stick with cashback websites like topcashback etc as I never have problems with these cashback websites.

Look at these reversals:

Transaction:09-Aug-18
Posted:05-Jan-19
Avios - Currys PC World UK

Transaction:19-Jul-18
Avios - Made.com UK

Transaction:23-Aug-18
Avios - Made.com UK

Transaction:04-Sep-18
Avios - eBuyer UK

Many of the above transactions I previously submitted a missing avios form and they were successfully approved. Now after more than 6 months reversed.. It's not the first time that it happens. It happens constantly.

There are so many problems as I can read from other treads as well, surely Avios should be referred to the adverting standards authority or it even they deserve a class action lawsuit considering that avios effectively has monetary value and there are so many people that are affected.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk dk9, and welcome to the BA forum.

I can't help much since I'm not a big user of the e-store, but in the case of the 2 made.com (a UK based furniture store) I would certainly follow that up, since that's Ł45 worth of Avios. by many people's valuation. I think there is a broader issue of e-store's reputation if they are slow to credit as well as reversing transactions. If you do manage to overturn these reversals kindly let us know how you did it, so others can benefit.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Very interested to read this, I have also had a problem.
I was checking my Avios Account yesterday and noticed something strange.
In July I bought a Kitchen Aid from Currys PC World.
There was a BA Avios e store promotion at the time, to collect 4 points per Ł1.
In July my account was credited with 1000 Avios points.
Six months later, on 31st December 1000 Avios points were debited from my account and 500 Avios were added both transactions from Currys PC World.
Will have to investigate further.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by chistery
Wouldn't surprise me if staff put the orders through as a new sale so they went against their targets, which makes it look like you didn't pick up your reserved item.
I've experienced exactly this occuring in the past.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I’ve had a few cancellations/reversals that I felt were unreasonable / unfair. To be honest i’ve been having the same problems with topcashback for about 2 years now so i don’t believe it’s unique to BA Store.

I have felt cashback in general has been broken for a while with many retailers taking the mick. Many websites have seen their ad revenue dive over recent years and had to seek donations / alternative revenue streams. In my experience BA Store haven’t been as bad as TopCashback, providing you avoid voucher codes, new models (eg iPhoneXS), editing or querying your order in ANY way in the run up to delivery. Even 1 phonecall to the company quoting your order number and the cashback is long gone.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Silver,
Angry

Originally Posted by email2markt
I’ve had a few cancellations/reversals that I felt were unreasonable / unfair. To be honest i’ve been having the same problems with topcashback for about 2 years now so i don’t believe it’s unique to BA Store.

I have felt cashback in general has been broken for a while with many retailers taking the mick. Many websites have seen their ad revenue dive over recent years and had to seek donations / alternative revenue streams. In my experience BA Store haven’t been as bad as TopCashback, providing you avoid voucher codes, new models (eg iPhoneXS), editing or querying your order in ANY way in the run up to delivery. Even 1 phonecall to the company quoting your order number and the cashback is long gone.
I agree with you email2markt that this isn't an issue with the eStore setup per-se. There are a number of retailers who seem keen to appear on cashback sites but who look actively for any opportunity not to pay out. I've had an issue with Curry's now twice where they refuse to pay out saying that I've "not met their terms and conditions" even when I have (qualifying purchase, no vouchers/codes etc). One was for cash back on a Ł1,800 television and so I am quite annoyed! Support from the eStore has been slow.

AFAIK the eStore is the only site where points/cashback can be reversed months after the transaction and for me this is what undermines the scheme even more than retailers trying to game you out of what you're due.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:33 am

Perhaps I've just been fortunate (and hopefully this won't jinx it) but thus far I've not had a problem.

I've used the eStore quite a few times over the last year or two, mostly on relatively low value things - Union Coffee, iTunes, Nero, Lakeland. But there has been the occasional higher-value purchase too - Apple (collect instore) a couple of years ago, and similarly a coffee machine ordered online but picked up from Currys. Thus far none have been debited at a later date from my account.

I just logged in to check some of these details, and noticed that at some point in the last month or so they've actually updated the interface: https://www.shopping.ba.com/my-estore
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:05 am
ECR

Originally Posted by dk9
A bit of an old thread but after having multiple transactions reversed by various retailers from months ago I would like to warn people to never use the BA avios estore again. Better stick with cashback websites like topcashback etc as I never have problems with these cashback websites.
people that are affected.
I rarely use BA or Avios estore now as I have suffered some reversals, sometimes almost a year after the avios were lodged in my account. Hilton seemed particularly problematic.

I have never experienced a reversal with topcashback, but like estore I have transactions not appear or be inexplicably declined.

I usually just go through topcashback and take the payout as avios as the rate is usually better than on estore anyway if the retailer is on both.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Had a couple recently from some Christmas hampers I ordered. I got quite a big discount on the hampers so wondered if that was the reason. Did not have the energy on this occasion to challenge.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Had a couple recently from some Christmas hampers I ordered. I got quite a big discount on the hampers so wondered if that was the reason. Did not have the energy on this occasion to challenge.
If you used a voucher code to obtain the discount then that is probably what results in the Avios being reversed - I've been caught out with this a couple of times. Querying reversals or missing transactions is very simple now and takes no more than a minute per transaction providing you are able to locate emails with confirmation or orders etc.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've had a couple of random smaller reversals and the odd one which never posted.

The most annoying of which by far is from Furniture Village - almost 20k avios. The first excuse was the usual "the last click was not from the eStore" but when I pointed out that it had been pending for months so must have registered as a click, the next excuse was "the retailer advise the purchase isn't eligible" which I read as "tough ....".

Even more annoyingly it was for a bed purchase which has gone wrong since day one and still isn't sorted despite the purchase being from May 2018.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:19 am
dk9

As others said, I think the biggest problem with the BA website is that they can reverse your orders after months (maybe even a year?) so not only you might not notice but can't even challenge any more (> 6 months). With cashback sites while it might indeed not track a few times like BA they would nevertheless never deduct money from your bank Account!

It's also worth saying that is always certain unscrupulous retailers like PC World/Currys, made.com that are the most problematic. I never had issues with retailers auch as Groupon, John Lewis etc and I have put through 100s of transactions.

Considering that you can convert cashback to avios and the offers are normally higher, I really don't see the reaare to use the BA estore ever again.

(PS Sorry for my first post being negative. Have been reading flyertalk for too long without posting! &#128513
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:56 pm
Vay

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat.
I've just experienced a reversal. My award wallet informed me of my new avios balance. 7134 avios were clawed back after three and half months after my purchase. I bought a washer/dryer combo. So it was a single large purchase. This really sucks. At the time, they offered the best earning per dollar. I've just submitted a missing avios claim, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'll probably only put small purchases through with them in the future just to keep my avios alive.

I have never experienced this with other shopping portals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.