Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Earliest bag drop at LHR for First flight at midday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:40 am
Original Poster

My wife and I flying LHR-AUS on Friday at 12:00 from terminal 5 in First and we weren't sure what time bag drop opens. When I have flown First with Emirates or Etihad bag drop typically is 3 hours before the flight departs but BA website indicate bag drop opens from 5am. Ideally we would like to drop bag at 8am.

Any feedback greatly appreciated
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:41 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
As a First customer you can drop your bags from 5am.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
You’ll be fine to drop off any time from 5am.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
First can check in anytime at LHR. Terminal opens at 5am, so checking in at 8am is perfectly fine.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
As a First customer you can drop your bags from 5am.
There was a recent trial to allow bag drop for all customers from 5am. Not sure if this has been retained, but certainly club and First and status holders can still do this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your quick replies - what a helpful bunch - thank you
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by madfish

There was a recent trial to allow bag drop for all customers from 5am. Not sure if this has been retained, but certainly club and First and status holders can still do this.
It's still the case if you use the self service bag drop machines (Zone C?).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
They still have signs up announcing this 'trial'. For the last year or so it feels like!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's still ongoing to the extent that economy and non-status passengers can bag drop from 5am if they use the self-service bag drop machines.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald

I am in Heathrow T5 today and there is a sign mentioning that all customers can check-in at any time on the same day (as a trial). I should've taken a picture but now I'm airside
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I might guess that the trial will continue to be a trial over the summer, and then become permanent if early bag arrivals don't cause problems at the busiest days of the year.

It's easier to leave a temporary trial running for a long time than to announce a permanent policy and revert it. Once you announce a fixed checkin time or opening time for an airport, it becomes embedded in a lot of documents and websites and is very difficult to update.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I suppose it suits HAL to have people airside and spending money. Although last week I still saw a lot of people sitting on the seats all around check in with big cases so presumed this trial was finished.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gomac
Although last week I still saw a lot of people sitting on the seats all around check in with big cases so presumed this trial was finished.
Yes, I've seen this too, and from what I can make out these are people who know about the 3 hour restriction (for example if they printed out their booking) and just don't notice the fairly large signs up about the trial. A few weeks ago I was chatting to a BA agent I know and someone came up to us, explaining his children were getting uncomfortable with the wait, and could he ask for a special favour to be allowed to check in early. The three of us were standing in front of the sign concerned, it was pointed out to him, the father was shocked he had spent an hour unnecessarily at the back of the hall.

Some people however are waiting for other people in their party to arrive (e.g. sorting out parking) and a few simply aren't prepared to use the machines, and would rather wait.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Can you check in oversize or unusual baggage at the automated kiosks? Skis, large poster tubes, tubas, etc?

Meanwhile, I'm sure HAL benefits from spending in shops airside, but they are also there to provide a passenger service and they (at least some of them) do care about people! It's just not very nice to sit waiting to check in compared to relaxing airside and HAL may, surprising though it is to some, being nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.