Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast with Alex Cruz 25/04/18

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Seems like a pretty good turn out so far...and arguably an informal and accidental DO!

msm2000uk
tedcruz
seaskybound
A406toHeathrow
Raffles
Vgravity
Mike Gold + 1
gilfiom
Excellent! Will be good to put a couple of faces to some (online) names
And re. kashrut at the breakfast, surely as Kosher travellers we are well used to having to "make do" !
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by A406toHeathrow
Excellent! Will be good to put a couple of faces to some (online) names
And re. kashrut at the breakfast, surely as Kosher travellers we are well used to having to "make do" !
Haha precisely!

For those asking about the address, the venue will be released on Monday afternoon.

M
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
The venue has been released. There was confirmation that there will be a kosher section. If you have a ticket and haven't received the location yet, please PM me or @msm2000uk.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I am assuming that seat pitch will be suitably tight and that the loos have been reconfigured to half their usual width.

I am also assuming that my first choice of breakfast will be unavailable.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
I am assuming that seat pitch will be suitably tight and that the loos have been reconfigured to half their usual width.

I am also assuming that my first choice of breakfast will be unavailable.
The Kosher option is always better!!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:11 am

So for those of us who haven't met any of you in person before - how will I know when I've found the FT crew?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
So for those of us who haven't met any of you in person before - how will I know when I've found the FT crew?
I'll have an FT bag-tag around my neck

I'll PM you.

M
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Look for the ones with a cynical eye and Qatar bag tags.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
If I have the breakfast and skip the Alex Cruz speaking bit of the itinerary, will I retrospectively be charged extra, or have my account closed down?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'll have an FT bag-tag around my neck

I'll PM you.

M
Thanks @msm2000uk
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
My spouse is not joining and I have a spare ticket I will sell it for: Karma!

(PM me if interested and I will then contact the organizer for a swap)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:53 am

Apologies to all I didn’t get a chance to meet this morning. I had to rush back to the office.

It was good to meet @msm2000uk and a couple of others who I didn’t manage to identify!

interested to hear what others thought. I won’t pass particular judgement myself - those who met me will understand why!
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm looking forward to hearing what was discussed!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Have just seen this. I might actually have attended if had seen earlier, so I too will be interested to hear the outcome.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

A thoroughly enjoyable morning, and it was great to put a few faces to FT handles. For those I didn't meet, I shall repeat what I said earlier today - "I don't do buses"

AC spoke very well, and came across as a very intelligent chap with an excellent sense of humour. He knows where the problems are within the airline, and did his best to address the crowd - he gave 30mins for a Q&A after his presentation which was great.

I should also add that he stayed around afterwards to address a queue of around 10 people. I think he earned the respect of many doubters today, and while some may not agree with him, I personally left with the impression that he knows what needs to be done.

Amongst some of what he said:

1. The First Wing has proven very successful, and will be rolled out to T3 and JFK.

2. The 747s will remain in the fleet until around 2024, hence the major refurbishment program.

WiFi has proven to be so useful, "that a few days ago, 112 Netflix accounts where running concurrently at one point across the WiFi enabled fleet".

3. 5-10 A350-1000s will be coming into the fleet in 2019. These will be fitted with the new CW seat.

The current delays, are due to the seat manufacturing process, but "nobody will ever see a meal thrust across them" ; a reference to the way CW window passengers are currently served.

AC admitted that the current 2-4-2 layout is no longer competitive, going so far to say that it was ground-breaking when it was shown off 23 years ago..."but the bad news is that we still have it".

4. BA is committed to hiring 3,500-4,500 new staff per annum.

5. The Concorde Team will liaise with Concorde Cardholders to ensure you always have the same point of contact. This sounded like a move away from the GGL team that we currently call.

6. BA are wholly committed to First Class. It will remain, but fewer seats will be fitted to new aircraft.

The A350-1000 will feature a modified version of the 789 F seat, which AC accepted had a few small niggles (Phase 1).

A new F concept, will be worked on to see what F really means to people. This is a medium-long term project (Phase 2), and we should not expect a new F seat, until all aircraft are fitted with the new CW seat.

While BA would like to do more on the ground for F passengers, like "services offered in Doha and Dubai", they are "constrained and limited by what HAL allow".

7. Additional Jaguars, there are 6 at present, are to be ordered for those on tight connections.

8. FT got a mention, along with the phrase "many feel that BA F is comparable to QR J"...but it wasn't from me! AC gave a pretty frank answer, linked to finances, but also agreed that BA needed to do more to remain Premium.

9. The Pilot Assistance Network is a BA initiative to offer mental support for BA staff. I found this really interesting, and massive kudos to BA for launching such an initiative.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.