Changing airlines at LHR

Old Apr 16, 18, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Changing airlines at LHR

Hi all

Unusually for me, I need to change airlines at LHR this Sunday. EDI to LHR (T5) via BA then Air Serbia (JU?) to Belgrade at T4. Despite going to LHR a million times I've never actually collected baggage there, or transferred terminals landside from T5 (always the T5 to T3 bus through the tunnels).

Return journey the following weekend. BA gold, but I know that'll be of scant use for my three hour layover on Sunday

Tips welcome :-)

Thanks

Jim.
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:07 pm

So is this two separate tickets then then?

If it’s one ticket BA will check your bags through and you can use the flight connections route as normal and take the airside bus to T4.

If separate tickets, just collect bags from baggage hall, go straight out the terminal and take the free 490 or 482 bus to T4 - from stop 7.
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

No, separate bookings, with long gap between just case first flight goes belly up. Booked online via BA site so no through option.
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
getting around heathrow as per the LHR website
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Think Iíll do Heathrow express to central since the know that option.
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL View Post
Thank you. Think Iíll do Heathrow express to central since the know that option.
The best option is likely to be the 482 or 490 from bus stop 7 at T5 direct to T4.

The Heathrow Express option requires a change at T2/T3; the trains are less frequent than the buses.
markle and Cymro like this.
Old Apr 16, 18, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

True, but Iíll see how many of my 3 hours I have to kill....
Old Apr 16, 18, 4:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL View Post
True, but Iíll see how many of my 3 hours I have to kill....
Depending on how long it takes for the checked bags to be delivered, you won't have too much time to kill.
Old Apr 16, 18, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
The best option is likely to be the 482 or 490 from bus stop 7 at T5 direct to T4.....
+1 for the bus. I use the bus if I park at Hatton Cross on a day trip. Nice view of the airfield from whichever of the two is the double decker. I've also never understood why the bus between Hatton Cross and T5 is free but you have to pay on the underground.
Old Apr 17, 18, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post

+1 for the bus. I use the bus if I park at Hatton Cross on a day trip. Nice view of the airfield from whichever of the two is the double decker. I've also never understood why the bus between Hatton Cross and T5 is free but you have to pay on the underground.
You don't actually pay on the tube you need a contactless card to open the barriers and the exit but there is no charge, unless that has changed recently which I doubt.
John
Old Apr 17, 18, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thejohn View Post
You don't actually pay on the tube you need a contactless card to open the barriers and the exit but there is no charge, unless that has changed recently which I doubt.
John
i think the point is getting from T5 to Hatton Cross the bus is free, but getting the tube isnít. I canít expalin it either but I would normally get the tube tbh.
Old Apr 17, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thejohn View Post
John
The underground is free with Oyster or contactless bank cards between the Heathrow terminal stations. Travelling between T5 and T4 entails changing trains at Hatton Cross (I'd definitely use the 480 or 492 bus if I was doing that journey) but entering or leaving the Underground at Hatton Cross for any of the Heathrow terminals incurs a charge of £1.50 off peak and £1.70 peak. Totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things but just one of life's little quirks that annoys me because the bus is free
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:33 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
The reason for the TFL LHR free bus zone and the free intra terminal transfer by tube is that HAL pays TFL to cover the loss of fares.

Hence why you still need to tap in and out on the tube so they can monitor the numbers.

IF HAL paid TFL to allow 'free' travel to Hatton Cross then I'm sure TFL would happily provide such a service.
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
The reason for the TFL LHR free bus zone and the free intra terminal transfer by tube is that HAL pays TFL to cover the loss of fares.

Hence why you still need to tap in and out on the tube so they can monitor the numbers.

IF HAL paid TFL to allow 'free' travel to Hatton Cross then I'm sure TFL would happily provide such a service.
But yiu can travel from Heathrow to Hatton Cross by bus for free apart from the X26 for some reason that isnít permitted.
Old Apr 17, 18, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
i think the point is getting from T5 to Hatton Cross the bus is free, but getting the tube isnít. I canít expalin it either but I would normally get the tube tbh.
The free bus area pre-dates the free tube by several years, so there's some kind of 'history' response in there. More importantly though they are designed to serve different markets: the bus allows staff working at several around-LHR sites to access commuter facilities (e.g. Hatton Cross, which you'll remember only needs a Z5 travelcard) and therefore fewer choose to drive to work and congest the airport perimeter. The inter-terminal-transfer is designed for passengers to move around easily - there's less need for them to go to Hatton Cross so it's not offered - for those who do want to, TfL can collect the fare.

The X26 is exempted because the operators are trying to maintain the 'express' nature and keep it to through- rather than local-journeys. Similarly, the 81 and 90 routes are not part of the 'free flow' zone despite having routes that could make sense, because they don't want to interrupt through journeys too much.
gcuk and KARFA like this.