Wiki Posts
Search

CW-to-F o/w upgrade lowers r/t price?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

CW-to-F o/w upgrade lowers r/t price?

Greetings from a lurker.

I have a JNB-LHR r/t coming up at relatively short notice. In CW, the r/t cost was coming in around ZAR 48k (GBP 2.8k).

I noticed there was First reward availability on the return, so I upgraded that sector for 22.5k avios. This led to the overall cost of the ticket dropping by GBP 700 to around GBP 2.1k.

What I noticed was that the outbound (non-upgraded) sector fare class was knocked down from R to I when I upgraded the inbound sector from CW to First (which remained in selling class I). I presume this is what led to the price drop.

Is that meant to happen? If not, has anyone experienced this before? Is this just a quirk, or a known trick?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Was this all done in one go before purchasing the return Club ticket?

The only thing I can think of is that the point of sale changed from South Africa to that of your Exec Club home address, bringing up an I seat.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I have noticed something similar in a much smaller scale, where booking a ticket with one leg in ET and another in CE seems to often (at least for my routes) reduce the overall price by a few quid, where two ET + CE tickets are cheaper than the total cost of one ET and one CE ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
What I noticed was that the outbound (non-upgraded) sector fare class was knocked down from R to I when I upgraded the inbound sector from CW to First (which remained in selling class I). I presume this is what led to the price drop.
Looking at the numbers on a dummy booking, that looks like it's correct. Although fares are different on different days, they're at the levels that you're looking at, so I think that the booking class change is very likely to have been the reason for the price drop.

And BA6501's suggestion is strongly supported by a test: JNB-LHR on 9 May and LHR-JNB on 16 May using a UK BAEC account gives the result that you saw, and EF confirms that the JNB-LHR flights are I9 and I3 using a UK POS, but I0 and I0 using a ZA POS.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebigben
I have noticed something similar in a much smaller scale, where booking a ticket with one leg in ET and another in CE seems to often (at least for my routes) reduce the overall price by a few quid, where two ET + CE tickets are cheaper than the total cost of one ET and one CE ticket.
Do you mean that the round-trip ticket with both sectors on it is cheaper than buying one one-way ticket in ET for the outbound and one one-way ticket in CE for the inbound? If so, then that's completely different: round-trip fares are only rarely the sum of two one-way fares, even though for a long time BA was setting round-trip fares that would mimic summing behaviour.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Looking at the numbers on a dummy booking, that looks like it's correct. Although fares are different on different days, they're at the levels that you're looking at, so I think that the booking class change is very likely to have been the reason for the price drop.

And BA6501's suggestion is strongly supported by a test: JNB-LHR on 9 May and LHR-JNB on 16 May using a UK BAEC account gives the result that you saw, and EF confirms that the JNB-LHR flights are I9 and I3 using a UK POS, but I0 and I0 using a ZA POS.
Yes, this must be it, thank you. I'm in SA at the moment, but my BAEC is registered to my UK address. Also the 'normal' CW booking was priced in ZAR, but the upgraded-in-one-go CW/F booking was priced in GBP.

That's quite an interesting discovery! What is the reasoning behind restricting certain fare classes by POS? Is the UK always going to have greater availability in lower booking classes than elsewhere on BA?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
What is the reasoning behind restricting certain fare classes by POS? Is the UK always going to have greater availability in lower booking classes than elsewhere on BA?
There are frequently differences between the availability shown to different markets, no doubt for arcane revenue management reasons. You can't predict in advance which markets will have better availability in lower booking classes. Sometimes the UK has more than other places, and sometimes it has less. And - as you have seen - sometimes it can be made to work in your favour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.