FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LGW-JFK Cancelled again..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1904214-lgw-jfk-cancelled-again.html)

brithk Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am

LGW-JFK Cancelled again.....

:mad:

Cancelled in the lounge, an hour before take off. Tech.

cornishsimon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am

Taxi to LHR and then onto BA/AA to JFK ?

its poor but from the BA perspective it must be one of the easiest routes in the network to be forced to cancel and have the ability to shuttle passengers via heathrow to the correct end destination still.

Mot saying it’s good. It if you have a tech aircraft at Crowley international this route stands out as the obvious one to scrub and reaccomadate people

cs

Dougy_D Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am

With only one flight out of LGW, what happens when they cancel it? Shipped to LHR? This weekend I've been looking over flights to NY for August as Flight + Hotel are quite reasonable at the moment.

rockflyertalk Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am

That's a pain!

When you say 'again,' has this happened to you before? or has it happened a lot recently?

Scillybear Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am

Currently on the 747 national express to LHR

Having been rebooked onto the 183 at 1950

Scillybear Apr 16, 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Dougy_D (Post 29646306)
With only one flight out of LGW, what happens when they cancel it? Shipped to LHR? This weekend I've been looking over flights to NY for August as Flight + Hotel are quite reasonable at the moment.

today - it seemed they were rebooking GCH and club cabin only - certainly that is what it seemed like.

We were given a voucher for the next available Nex bus.

Fraser Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am

They're probably doing you a favour. Weather here at JFK is atrocious...they're using the backup approach onto 13L that takes you up the harbour at low altitude and then turns over lower Manhattan.

florens Apr 16, 2018 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29646425)
They're probably doing you a favour. Weather here at JFK is atrocious...they're using the backup approach onto 13L that takes you up the harbour at low altitude and then turns over lower Manhattan.

Oh, Canarsie! Did it in the sim last year. Challenging!

our_kid Apr 16, 2018 11:53 am

Best approach into JFK - get a window seat :)

corporate-wage-slave Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dougy_D (Post 29646306)

Indeed I've noticed that LGW - JFK is often very good value compared to LHR with add-ons such as hotel or car hire, plus those few "via LGW" routes with through pricing such as JER. But note that there is now quite a quality chasm between the LHR and LGW service at CW level (and to some extent in WTP and WT) in that LHR-JFK gets the premium catering, bedding and usually the Panasonic IFE services. Still, the LGW lounges are good, it's easy and quick to get around LGW, everyone including security is quite friendly and it's a fairly short service so IFE may not be such a factor for some travellers. I guess you book it on a value for money basis, but always keeping in mind that with a particularly constrained fleet at LGW that this and the FLL and OAK services are generally the first to fall off the schedule.

If there is plenty of availability from LHR they will invite people to take the National Express to T5 (or sometimes AA from T3) to get replacement services, occasionally they will use taxis if time is of the essence (typically if the passenger has a connecting flight from JFK). If not they will book passengers into the Hilton built into LGW South and rebook to the next day. I'm aware of people being given the choice, though this may have been due to mobility factors. EC261 Article 7 compensation may well be payable - not in all cases - so at WT fare levels you may even make a bit of a profit on it. Finally if a flight is cancelled you can alternatively ask for the compensation and a full refund - which may allow you to rebook on to Norwegian or something (BA will never rebook on to that airline, but will rebook on AA or IB).

Welcome to Flyertalk Dougy_D, welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

KARFA Apr 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29646425)

i didnt think that’s a back up. As it’s a visual approach I would have thought it would be less likely to be used for poor weather? The 13 runways are in use because the wind is coming from the south east.

JFK seems to have had a few days of poor weather. This was the queue to get out last night!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f29e17507.jpeg[left]

​​​​

UKtravelbear Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29646789)
Indeed I've noticed that LGW - JFK is often very good value compared to LHR with add-ons such as hotel or car hire, plus those few "via LGW" routes with through pricing such as JER..

I priced up a trip for Sept 27th return Oct 3rd Club to JFK

LGW- £ 2737
LHR - £ 2739
LCY - £ 2739

I don't regard a £2 'saving' for an inferior product as good value! If BA want me to fly the route it needs to offer a bigger discount that that!

Beany Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29646792)
i didnt think that’s a back up. As it’s a visual approach I would have thought it would be less likely to be used for poor weather?
​​​​

I don’t believe Fraser is referring to the 13L Canarsie approach, he is referring to the rarely used 13L ILS approach where by planes track up NY harbour towards Lower Manhattan, down the East River and then turn near the Williamsburg bridge before intercepting the ILS for 13L.

williamn78 Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Makes me nervous for my upcoming YYZ-LGW booking! In this instance it was both handier for me to fly to LGW and also I got a bargain upgrade offer from PY - for less than 200GBP.

lorcancoyle Apr 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Bugger. Hadn’t realised it didn’t have the decent bedding yet - booked it for an ex-EU where I wanted to drop my bags off in London before completing the trip HBO. (GOT for an easy turnaround, but doesn’t work if I have a checked bag)

Fraser Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by florens (Post 29646660)
Oh, Canarsie! Did it in the sim last year. Challenging!

There are two different approaches onto 13L, one which has you hugging the Belt Parkway and Jamaica Bay, you are almost turning right up until you land (see below), the other which is in use today where you fly up the harbour and make the turn so you are dead on into 13L from way out in Brooklyn. The one you are thinking of is the Canarsie approach, named after the Queens neighbourhood that the approaches touch.

https://i.imgur.com/vxAEUtL.jpg

i didnt think that’s a back up. As it’s a visual approach I would have thought it would be less likely to be used for poor weather? The 13 runways are in use because the wind is coming from the south east.
​​​​

Indeed, I think it was being used because of the winds. Very gusty here and I guess allows you to be more lined up with the runway from a ways out rather than fighting the winds whilst making a sharp descending turn.

I only ever see this long approach onto 13L when the winds are rough and gusty or the weather is generally dire. The Canarsie approach from above is the typical way onto 13L.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29647057)
I priced up a trip for Sept 27th return Oct 3rd Club to JFK

LGW- £ 2737
LHR - £ 2739
LCY - £ 2739

I don't regard a £2 'saving' for an inferior product as good value! If BA want me to fly the route it needs to offer a bigger discount that that!

Yes, this is a core fare you're looking at and these are standardised for LON, the reason for the £2 reduction is that LGW's own airport charge is slightly lower than LHR. But do something like a hotel or some other add-on, or start from JER and differences will creep in. More importantly LGW will hang on to I class fare availability for typically longer than LHR.

rockflyertalk Apr 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Ex-JER to JFK seems to have dried up in WT & WTP, (my budget doesn’t stretch to J or F fares) there was a long period when these cheaper fares existed but they seem to have shifted to ex-INV. Clearly INV doesn’t work for the LGW - JFK route.

What happened to these cheaper ex-JER fares?

florens Apr 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29647114)
There are two different approaches onto 13L, one which has you hugging the Belt Parkway and Jamaica Bay, you are almost turning right up until you land (see below), the other which is in use today where you fly up the harbour and make the turn so you are dead on into 13L from way out in Brooklyn. The one you are thinking of is the Canarsie approach, named after the Queens neighbourhood that the approaches touch.

Indeed, I think it was being used because of the winds. Very gusty here and I guess allows you to be more lined up with the runway from a ways out rather than fighting the winds whilst making a sharp descending turn.

I only ever see this long approach onto 13L when the winds are rough and gusty or the weather is generally dire. The Canarsie approach from above is the typical way onto 13L.

The approach I see now on FR24 is the Canarsie though?

Chart:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1804/00...AY_VIS13LR.PDF

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...25a1629ba7.png
​​​​​​​

flatlander Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29647114)
the other which is in use today where you fly up the harbour and make the turn so you are dead on into 13L from way out in Brooklyn. .

I think it's this one:

https://uk.flightaware.com/resources...L+(CAT+II)/pdf

which sets you up to intercept an ILS from 4-5 nm out. Here's a morning flight which took used this approach: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...a1443#110ec365

Compare the "Canarsie" approach, documented as "Parkway Visual Runway 13L/R": https://uk.flightaware.com/resources...SUAL+RWY+13L_R

The last turn on the Canarsie approach for 13L is very close to the runway, I definitely feel you need to have a full set of visual references and not too bad wind to remain stable when doing that.

aceman Apr 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29647286)
Ex-JER to JFK seems to have dried up in WT & WTP, (my budget doesn’t stretch to J or F fares) there was a long period when these cheaper fares existed but they seem to have shifted to ex-INV. Clearly INV doesn’t work for the LGW - JFK route.

What happened to these cheaper ex-JER fares?

i also noticed that prices ex-JER seem to have increased on my usual route of LAS. Previously one could save a decent amount starting in JER on a wtp fare, this now seems to have changed to a higher amount, often by quite some margin.

MarkFlies Apr 16, 2018 4:32 pm

JFK seems to have had a few days of poor weather. This was the queue to get out last night!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f29e17507.jpeg

​​​​

I hate reposting of pictures but this one is worthwhile. Maybe someone has exact figures, but that looks like a 90-minute taxi. Another reason to avoid JFK.

Unfortunately I've experienced similar. One on AA, JFK-CDG, where the crew mentioned it later, in a nice way. Sometimes it's nice to know others are feeling it too.

NB NB if you're in this situation, never look at your watch :) It's the time to balance your cheque book or something equally boring.

DIRECT MERIT Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I was listening to Liveatc earlier today, and it was definitely the 13L ILS being used. Maybe they used the Canarsie (13L VOR approach) later in the day.

sammyg901 Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29646789)
Finally if a flight is cancelled you can alternatively ask for the compensation and a full refund - which may allow you to rebook on to Norwegian or something

Check out the performance of the morning Norwegian JFK flight last few weeks... makes Southern trains look like a beacon of reliability ! At least BA have a pretty reasonable backup plan getting you across to Heathrow

etiene Apr 17, 2018 1:12 am

Originally Posted by MarkFlies (Post 29648159)
I hate reposting of pictures but this one is worthwhile. Maybe someone has exact figures, but that looks like a 90-minute taxi. Another reason to avoid JFK.

Luckily got out without the traffic on Friday, but out of curiousity: would a 90-min taxi count as extraordinary circumstances for EU261 (assuming a missed connection makes the final delay >4hrs)?

Dougy_D Apr 17, 2018 1:26 am

Thanks for the welcome, I've been a long time stalker and felt i should get involved.

Flight+Hotel from LGW to JFK in business for a week is approx 1500 each (going as couple) in August. Flight alone is more than that and it actually costs alot more EX-JER which works for me this time as we will be in London for a few days after the NY trip. My main concern is around cancellation and possibly losing a day.

simons1 Apr 17, 2018 2:10 am

Originally Posted by etiene (Post 29649802)

Luckily got out without the traffic on Friday, but out of curiousity: would a 90-min taxi count as extraordinary circumstances for EU261 (assuming a missed connection makes the final delay >4hrs)?

I would have said so. I don't think that is really within BA control.

The only way I think you could construct an argument is if something in BA control (like a tech issue) caused a delayed departure from
the stand, and then the slot to be missed and the long taxi was a direct result.

Even so it would be hard as BA would undoubtedly fob you off.

Tobias-UK Apr 17, 2018 2:25 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 29649922)

I would have said so. I don't think that is really within BA control.

The only way I think you could construct an argument is if something in BA control (like a tech issue) caused a delayed departure from
the stand, and then the slot to be missed and the long taxi was a direct result.

Even so it would be hard as BA would undoubtedly fob you off.

It wouldn't be a 'fob off' - an airline is not responsible for such delays and therefore EC261 compensation is not due.

KeaneJohn Apr 17, 2018 2:45 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901 (Post 29648519)
Check out the performance of the morning Norwegian JFK flight last few weeks... makes Southern trains look like a beacon of reliability ! At least BA have a pretty reasonable backup plan getting you across to Heathrow

Not wanting to hijack this thread Norwegian have been using HiFly 330s and 340s and their “premium seat” is in some cases former Emirates luxury seating not sure if J or Y but certainly very comfortable and lie flat.

brithk Apr 17, 2018 12:17 pm

I thought BA did an OK job most seemed to be booked on the 1950 LHR - Though some were put on the 8am the following day.
Just frustrating that this is an oft cancelled service - the guys at LGW admitted that its often the one to get cancelled if there are other fleet issues earlier in the day ( I guess the Caribbean)

simons1 Apr 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 29649955)
It wouldn't be a 'fob off' - an airline is not responsible for such delays and therefore EC261 compensation is not due.

Surely it would depend on the precise circumstances.

Scenario 1 - aircraft ready for ontime departure, regular taxi and arrives on time.

Scenario 2 - aircraft delayed on stand, missed slot, had to taxi out via remote hold whilst a new slot is secured.

I would have said scenario 2 gives the basis of an argument, the consequences of missing a slot are known and part and parcel of aviation.

brithk Apr 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Again today

Originally Posted by brithk (Post 29646266)
:mad:

Cancelled in the lounge, an hour before take off. Tech.

it’s cancelled again today !!! Anyone know why 18/4

pauldb Apr 18, 2018 3:36 pm

We were meant to be on the inbound JFK-LGW on the 16th. Fortunately we got 10hrs notice and were able to select BA172 to LHR an hour earlier.

Our outbound had been LGW-MCO so I hastily booked JFK-LGW and then immediately regretted it (older planes, LGW further from home and we wouldn’t be taking our car). So ironically the cancellationwas actually a welcome improvement for us.

Not only that - we got G-VIIO on the MCO leg so didn’t have to suffer an end-of-life cabin either way.

Fraser Apr 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by etiene (Post 29649802)

This is very normal for JFK in the early evening when the European flights start to leave. I use JFK a decent amount and AA definitely pad their schedules well to account for it, BA slightly less so, IMO.

A couple of years ago I flew B6 on a Friday evening and we taxied for 2.5hrs...I often fly JFK-CLT on AA and flights are often scheduled for 3hrs+ when it's not much more than half that in the air.

Scillybear Apr 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by brithk (Post 29652091)
I thought BA did an OK job most seemed to be booked on the 1950 LHR - Though some were put on the 8am the following day.
Just frustrating that this is an oft cancelled service - the guys at LGW admitted that its often the one to get cancelled if there are other fleet issues earlier in the day ( I guess the Caribbean)

Agreed.

I talked to a few fellow PAX and most people thought BA did a good job.

The fact that the 183 (1950) must have been reasonably lightly loaded to start with must have helped.

I was seated on the UD and there were at least 5 or 6 Gatwick "refugees" up there too...

Tiger_lily Apr 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by brithk (Post 29657216)

it’s cancelled again today !!! Anyone know why 18/4

From EF

Comments:
DOBA2273/18APR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA2273 0 WE 18APR18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 1533
TECH
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA2273 0 WE 18APR18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LGW 1635 WE JCDRIWETYBH/M 777 8:00
KMLVSNQOG/M
JFK 1935 WE 8:00
COMMENTS-
1.LGW JFK - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LGW JFK - DEPARTS TERMINAL S
3.LGW JFK - ARRIVES TERMINAL 7
KMLVSNQOG/M
4.LGW JFK - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LGW JFK - SECURED FLIGHT
6.LGW JFK - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
7.LGW JFK - DEPARTS GATWICK SOUTH TERMINAL FROM 11JAN17
8.LGW JFK - CO2/PAX* 291.40 KG ECO, 582.80 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
777 J 40 W 24 M 216
>

etiene Apr 19, 2018 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29657422)
This is very normal for JFK in the early evening when the European flights start to leave. I use JFK a decent amount and AA definitely pad their schedules well to account for it, BA slightly less so, IMO.

A couple of years ago I flew B6 on a Friday evening and we taxied for 2.5hrs...I often fly JFK-CLT on AA and flights are often scheduled for 3hrs+ when it's not much more than half that in the air.

I was on AY - very much not a padded schedule (at least with light tailwinds) and we were perilously close to missing an admittedly tight connection with just a fairly average T+30 takeoff.