FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LGW-JFK Cancelled again..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1904214-lgw-jfk-cancelled-again.html)

brithk Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am

LGW-JFK Cancelled again.....

:mad:

Cancelled in the lounge, an hour before take off. Tech.

cornishsimon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am

Taxi to LHR and then onto BA/AA to JFK ?

its poor but from the BA perspective it must be one of the easiest routes in the network to be forced to cancel and have the ability to shuttle passengers via heathrow to the correct end destination still.

Mot saying it’s good. It if you have a tech aircraft at Crowley international this route stands out as the obvious one to scrub and reaccomadate people

cs

Dougy_D Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am

With only one flight out of LGW, what happens when they cancel it? Shipped to LHR? This weekend I've been looking over flights to NY for August as Flight + Hotel are quite reasonable at the moment.

rockflyertalk Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am

That's a pain!

When you say 'again,' has this happened to you before? or has it happened a lot recently?

Scillybear Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am

Currently on the 747 national express to LHR

Having been rebooked onto the 183 at 1950

Scillybear Apr 16, 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Dougy_D (Post 29646306)
With only one flight out of LGW, what happens when they cancel it? Shipped to LHR? This weekend I've been looking over flights to NY for August as Flight + Hotel are quite reasonable at the moment.

today - it seemed they were rebooking GCH and club cabin only - certainly that is what it seemed like.

We were given a voucher for the next available Nex bus.

Fraser Apr 16, 2018 10:30 am

They're probably doing you a favour. Weather here at JFK is atrocious...they're using the backup approach onto 13L that takes you up the harbour at low altitude and then turns over lower Manhattan.

florens Apr 16, 2018 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29646425)
They're probably doing you a favour. Weather here at JFK is atrocious...they're using the backup approach onto 13L that takes you up the harbour at low altitude and then turns over lower Manhattan.

Oh, Canarsie! Did it in the sim last year. Challenging!

our_kid Apr 16, 2018 11:53 am

Best approach into JFK - get a window seat :)

corporate-wage-slave Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dougy_D (Post 29646306)

Indeed I've noticed that LGW - JFK is often very good value compared to LHR with add-ons such as hotel or car hire, plus those few "via LGW" routes with through pricing such as JER. But note that there is now quite a quality chasm between the LHR and LGW service at CW level (and to some extent in WTP and WT) in that LHR-JFK gets the premium catering, bedding and usually the Panasonic IFE services. Still, the LGW lounges are good, it's easy and quick to get around LGW, everyone including security is quite friendly and it's a fairly short service so IFE may not be such a factor for some travellers. I guess you book it on a value for money basis, but always keeping in mind that with a particularly constrained fleet at LGW that this and the FLL and OAK services are generally the first to fall off the schedule.

If there is plenty of availability from LHR they will invite people to take the National Express to T5 (or sometimes AA from T3) to get replacement services, occasionally they will use taxis if time is of the essence (typically if the passenger has a connecting flight from JFK). If not they will book passengers into the Hilton built into LGW South and rebook to the next day. I'm aware of people being given the choice, though this may have been due to mobility factors. EC261 Article 7 compensation may well be payable - not in all cases - so at WT fare levels you may even make a bit of a profit on it. Finally if a flight is cancelled you can alternatively ask for the compensation and a full refund - which may allow you to rebook on to Norwegian or something (BA will never rebook on to that airline, but will rebook on AA or IB).

Welcome to Flyertalk Dougy_D, welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

KARFA Apr 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29646425)

i didnt think that’s a back up. As it’s a visual approach I would have thought it would be less likely to be used for poor weather? The 13 runways are in use because the wind is coming from the south east.

JFK seems to have had a few days of poor weather. This was the queue to get out last night!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f29e17507.jpeg[left]

​​​​

UKtravelbear Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29646789)
Indeed I've noticed that LGW - JFK is often very good value compared to LHR with add-ons such as hotel or car hire, plus those few "via LGW" routes with through pricing such as JER..

I priced up a trip for Sept 27th return Oct 3rd Club to JFK

LGW- £ 2737
LHR - £ 2739
LCY - £ 2739

I don't regard a £2 'saving' for an inferior product as good value! If BA want me to fly the route it needs to offer a bigger discount that that!

Beany Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29646792)
i didnt think that’s a back up. As it’s a visual approach I would have thought it would be less likely to be used for poor weather?
​​​​

I don’t believe Fraser is referring to the 13L Canarsie approach, he is referring to the rarely used 13L ILS approach where by planes track up NY harbour towards Lower Manhattan, down the East River and then turn near the Williamsburg bridge before intercepting the ILS for 13L.

williamn78 Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Makes me nervous for my upcoming YYZ-LGW booking! In this instance it was both handier for me to fly to LGW and also I got a bargain upgrade offer from PY - for less than 200GBP.

lorcancoyle Apr 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Bugger. Hadn’t realised it didn’t have the decent bedding yet - booked it for an ex-EU where I wanted to drop my bags off in London before completing the trip HBO. (GOT for an easy turnaround, but doesn’t work if I have a checked bag)