Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO T5-T2 connection time and can I stay airside?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold

Flying MAD-LHR and looking to book connecting flight with EI to BHD on separate booking. If flights on time, 1hr 40 between flights. As I’ll be HBO, do I need to go landslide if i’ve Checked in online though on separate bookings? Or would it be quicker to go landslide and take HEX to T2?

any insights appreciated. To book a different flight to BHD, means a 6 hour stop in LHR, flying BA.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You can certainly stay airside, but clearly whichever route you take you’ll have to re-clear security. T2 is pretty good, on the whole, and certainly much better than T5 in transit security. For that reason, I’d be inclined to take the airside buses rather than have to wait for the HEX or, probably the quicker option, the tube (which will land you much closer to T2).

This is clearly a fairly tight connection, but there’s no conformance at T2 as far as I know, and EI will usually depart from the A gates.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jdbelfast
Flying MAD-LHR and looking to book connecting flight with EI to BHD on separate booking. If flights on time, 1hr 40 between flights. As I’ll be HBO, do I need to go landslide if i’ve Checked in online though on separate bookings? Or would it be quicker to go landslide and take HEX to T2?

any insights appreciated. To book a different flight to BHD, means a 6 hour stop in LHR, flying BA.
Sure you can stay airside and take the buses, but you won't have a connection. Moving between (and sometimes within) terminals at LHR is never the easiest exercise, and time is quickly eaten up. If you are late to board your next flight (ie because your Madrid inbound was 30 minutes late - not unusual at LHR), you may find yourself having to buy a new ticket to BHD.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Airside would be quicker by a good 15 minutes. If going landside the tube is better since it's right by T2 whereas HEX is a bit of a hike. The T2 Flight Connection centre is quicker than the T5 equivalent too, and as with T5 there are biometrics involved after the UK + Ireland passport check. You don't even need a boarding pass, you can collect that from T2 if necessary.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you are late to board your next flight (ie because your Madrid inbound was 30 minutes late - not unusual at LHR), you may find yourself having to buy a new ticket to BHD.
That's certainly a risk worth highlighting however on a 1 hour 40 minute connection then you are probably safe with a delay up to 45 minutes. It takes about 30 minutes to get from T5 to T2 airside all told, it's quicker than getting through T3. EI starts boarding earlier than BA, and will leave 15 minutes early if they can, whereas BA won't leave more than 10 minutes early.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jdbelfast

you can stay airside, and it will be quicker. Remember that you can get the airside bus from T5B as well as T5A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.