FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Photo ID (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1904181-photo-id.html)

Rictimmy Apr 16, 2018 3:46 am

Photo ID

Hi, I am new to this and don't know if I'm in right place.
i have booked a BA domestic flight as a treat for my mother who has never flown. She has no passport or driving license. She does though have a council issued bus pass with her photo. Will this be enough ID if she also brings a utility bill etc. I am getting conflicting reports on what I need to do.
Any help would be appreciate.
Thanks
Rick

Lucanesque Apr 16, 2018 3:49 am

From the BA site:Identification on UK domestic flights

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.

Edit: Appreciate that wasn't an entirely helpful response! I'd call BA and ask them.

Globaliser Apr 16, 2018 4:01 am

Welcome to FT, Rictimmy!

Originally Posted by Rictimmy (Post 29645340)
i have booked a BA domestic flight as a treat for my mother who has never flown.

Can you let us know the route on which she will be flying? And whether she will need to check-in a bag, or whether she is flying with hand baggage only?

Rictimmy Apr 16, 2018 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29645364)
Welcome to FT, Rictimmy!Can you let us know the route on which she will be flying? And whether she will need to check-in a bag, or whether she is flying with hand baggage only?

We are flying Manchester to London Heathrow , we only have hand luggage and I was going to check in using Mobile BA App
Thanks
Rick

mjuler Apr 16, 2018 4:04 am

If flying hand baggage only the reality is that you're very unlikely to be asked for photographic ID. I've done LHR - EDI / GLA more times that I wish to remember and I don't recall ever being asked for photo ID.

bisonrav Apr 16, 2018 4:06 am

On domestic flights, you need no photo ID. You'll be photographed at the point you go through the boarding pass check, that is checked when you board.

I'd always assumed you did, was put right about that recently here, and have happily flown BP only in the UK since.

mjuler Apr 16, 2018 4:14 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav (Post 29645371)
On domestic flights, you need no photo ID. You'll be photographed at the point you go through the boarding pass check, that is checked when you board.

I'd always assumed you did, was put right about that recently here, and have happily flown BP only in the UK since.

Still best to keep something with you if possible. I ended up on a easyJet flight up to EDI from LGW one morning when then similarly time BA flight was cancelled. Wouldn't have been able to quickly book the U2 ticket if I didn't have my drivers license in my wallet as their photo ID requirements are both international and domestic.

Phil the Flyer Apr 16, 2018 4:29 am

Originally Posted by mjuler (Post 29645383)
Wouldn't have been able to quickly book the U2 ticket

:o And there was me thinking you were going to watch Bono et al!

bisonrav Apr 16, 2018 5:10 am

There was the time about 6 months after 9/11 when I turned up at Boston airport to collect an incoming colleague without having bothered carrying standard photo ID. It was only my British Library card, discovered buried at the back of my wallet, that saved me from the full rubber glove treatment.

710 77345 Apr 16, 2018 5:12 am

There is no need for any photo ID if you're flying BA domestically - unless you're checking baggage, no ID at all is necessary. Don't worry about it at all.

KARFA Apr 16, 2018 5:41 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345 (Post 29645477)
There is no need for any photo ID if you're flying BA domestically - unless you're checking baggage, no ID at all is necessary. Don't worry about it at all.

BA won’t require it, but the caveated advice by BA to have some relates to the police powers to request ID from anyone in an airport environment. Doesn’t happen often at all tho so probably not worth worrying about.

DELLAS Apr 16, 2018 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Rictimmy (Post 29645340)
She does though have a council issued bus pass with her photo.

That is fine. Tell her to take that just in case they ask to prove who she is.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 16, 2018 6:30 am

I think you have had all the right advice above, I'm sure it will be all fine, and all I can add is my greetings to you Rictimmy to both this forum and to Flyertalk. By all let us know afterwards what she thought of the experience. Welcome on board.

GaxxyFlyer Apr 16, 2018 8:14 am

more support for the 'no ID' camp. I've flown many times with BA domestically and never used ID. although the police can ask for ID can you imagine the fallout from a United style police incident dragging a little old lady off a flight who's clutching her bus pass up for all to see?

You'll be fine, welcome and have a great day.

Rictimmy Apr 16, 2018 8:43 am

Thank you

Thanks for all your help. BA were a little reluctant but after contacting them. They admitted photo ID is not mandatory but still carry something just in case. They were insistant that it needed to became passport or drivers licence. But once I explained that my mum has neither and other airlines except other forms of picture ID, they said she will be fine.
Thank you