Wiki Posts
Search

Shooting video in LHR T5 Border Control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:10 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA

I believe the police can do exactly that in an airport.

most uk airports are pragmatic about general photography and filmimg, but require you to seek permission if it’s being done for commercial reasons.
As a photographer I would disagree. Police do not have the authority to require you to do any such thing. They don't have the right to control the media that you are recording in, be it audio, still or video. The airport can refuse permission for photography/video just as any landowner can for any reason within their property. Commercial or private. But they can only tell you to stop or evict you from the building if you refuse to do so.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
As a photographer I would disagree. Police do not have the authority to require you to do any such thing. They don't have the right to control the media that you are recording in, be it audio, still or video. The airport can refuse permission for photography/video just as any landowner can for any reason within their property. Commercial or private. But they can only tell you to stop or evict you from the building if you refuse to do so.
There are non criminal issues - i.e. an airport or any landowner requiring you to get permission to film on their property, and criminal issues which the police enforce. In terms of their powers to view images, seize equipment, and delete this is informative

https://www.met.police.uk/advice-and...graphy-advice/

Viewing and seizure is well within their powers albeit subject to the criteria noted. Deletion isn’t immediately within their powers but possible with a subsequent court order.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
EDIT: to add I have just come back from a country where you are nearly shot if you dare even use your phone in the immigration area, never mind take photos/videos
Hope you enjoyed your visit to the USA
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

There are non criminal issues - i.e. an airport or any landowner requiring you to get permission to film on their property, and criminal issues which the police enforce. In terms of their powers to view images, seize equipment, and delete this is informative

Viewing and seizure is well within their powers albeit subject to the criteria noted. Deletion isn’t immediately within their powers but possible with a subsequent court order.

It was the deletion I was referring to. They can't summarily tell you to delete anything and have to have grounds for seizure. There was a huge backlash to the 'terror' laws from photographers and in the end there was an amendment made to clarify photographers' rights.

Signs or no signs though, I wouldn't take photos or videos in any area that is considered security related, so security and passport control. I have taken the odd photo with my phone in the baggage hall.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, WOH, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Back in the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact countries lots of people would also really have believed that there was a legitimate reason to worry about foreign spies taking pictures of bridges, churches in the Kremlin and so on. In the west we have always had a laugh about this as we know it was just paranoia and simply not true. And I suspect that the same is true these days with airport "security". I believe that in the future we will laugh at the paranoia around today.
That reminds me of London. About 10 years ago, UK (especially London) go super paranoid about photography for whatever reason (maybe terrorism related). As I recall it, I have been approached and asked to delete the photo I just took at least a dozen times, from literally all kind of people including not only officials like cops, but also private citizen (from private security to gas station clerk), between 2009 and 2012. I remember some of the deleted photos, includes london tube map, multiple random skyscrapers, eurotuunel terminal near Folkestone(yet this one might be understabdable), some random park(because there are some kids that I’m not even aware of) and a photo of gas pump(which I took to record the gas mileage). Although it’s not that extreme nowadays.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I must admit to being one of those that has photographed a long queue at Immigration with no eGates open and tweeted it. I get that the eGates are manned and that staffing a late night flight can be problematic; I don’t get too worked up as the EU manual line tends to go reasonably quickly. My bigger issue is when they don’t sort out the Tensa barriers and you end up with the queue backing up to the escalators. On two occasions when I’ve been going through it’s caused a commotion at the top of the escalators, which is going to cause a serious accident one day.

One question: why when manning an eGate a border force agent can process several at a time, do they instead opt to put 3 or 4 on the manual line? Given the large majority of EU passengers will use the eGate, I’d have thought that would make sense. Do border agents need to be specially trained on eGates?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:03 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:47 am
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:13 pm

I'd read it with a grain of salt. They would have to reasonably suspect you of being a terrorist before they can do so.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by markle
If there's an immediate safety issue, there should be a red emergency stop button by the top of the escalator.
...and was used on the first occasion. Second occasion after a short scrum the passengers parted like the Red Sea, giving a HAL employee enough time to herd the queue.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
There is no doubt in my mind that many people really do believe this to be true. I wonder if there is any evidence that this view is sound?
As it happens, there have been many terror attacks carried out in Europe in recent years, and yes, photographs of the places they attacked were reported to be found when terrorists' houses were then searched multiple times, and of course, around the world, strategic targets such as check points have been the object of extremely regular terror attacks not least in Iraq and Afghanistan. Unless one chooses not to dismiss it out of principle, I'd say that is already plenty of evidence. And that is only to focus on what makes it to the general public, ie successful attacks, because by nature, any intelligence on attacks that are successfully prevented (a vast majority of intended ones thankfully) is withheld from the public, but it would make it quite extraordinary if the cases we hear about accounted for all the attempts by ill-intended people to capture images and data on the places they want to attack.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nallison

Some people have a warped idea about how interested anyone outside their immediate family/friends are in their kids...just send them pics on WhatsApp.
I wouldn’t do that, Facebook own WhatsApp. It was only recently that they decided to go with end-to-end encryption, prior to that any smart hacker could access your WhatsApp content if they tried hard enough but I agree at least it’s not on a public forum.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I must admit that until now I didn’t realise it wasn’t allowed to take photos/video in a UK immigration hall (although it certainly makes sense...not that I have ever tried). I haven’t noticed (m)any signs to that effect, or seen any vigorous enforcement. Is the prohibition on photography in particular? Or, similar to the USA, mobile phones/devices more broadly?

This is something the US seem much clearer on. Plenty of signs on the walk to immigration, as well as in the hall itself. And visible enforcement that the punters are complying with the rules.

Newark, in particular, seemed pretty hot in this regard on my last visit there in September. The man in front of me was asked by a “red jacket” multiple times, in no uncertain terms, to put his phone away. Each time she left, he would bring the phone back out. We got quite close to the front of the queue when she announced that enough was enough, invited the gentleman in question to step out of the line to have a chat with a supervisor, after which he was unceremoniously plopped at the back of the queue the which had since swelled with several wide-bodies worth of people. I thought that was pretty harsh, but unlikely to be a lesson he’d forget.

And one I haven’t either. Post-flight emails/texts are handled when waiting to disembark, then the phone is put away until after customs/immigration.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I once arrived early for my flight at CPH so decided to cycle along the coast road and have a picnic beside the sea. Just so happened the approach to the runway was there so I started snapping a few pics of the landing aircraft. Not long after a security vehicle pulled up and told me to stop taking photographs. So I did.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GM1985

This is something the US seem much clearer on. Plenty of signs on the walk to immigration, as well as in the hall itself. And visible enforcement that the punters are complying with the rules.

I do think we're better over here on idiot-proofing and providing signs for travel instructions in general- here's the sign explaining to go left for Concourse Q and that concourse X is ahead to the right. Lots of public restrooms right over there. Next gas station is 220 miles away so fuel up now. Do not feed bears. Do not feed alligators. Beach closed to imminent hurricane. Agricultural inspection ahead; all moving vans stop there. No food or services on other side of checkpoint....
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by beachmouse
And then ICE itself has started to push US citizens to download the Mobile border app for their phone and use it at participating points of entry in the name of getting low risk/low interest arrivals processed through the rat's maze quicker. So there's a fading of what used to be hard and fast 'no phones' rule in some places.
Mobile Pass is great! I sailed through the line at JFK in five minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.