First First or CW - LON to NYC

Old Apr 15, 18, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
First First or CW - LON to NYC

I have enough Avios and a 2-4-1 to book a short break for myself and Mrs Confused to New York in 2019 before we hopefully welcome Junior Confused No 2 to the family.

I had hoped to booked our first First Class flights but there are no flights with two redemptions available. So should I keep waiting for availability to open up, book CW and make do given the new service improvements or book the LCY service? We'll be connecting from the regions, LBA if the crappy new schedule works or MAN otherwise.
Old Apr 15, 18, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ConfusedByBAEC View Post
I have enough Avios and a 2-4-1 to book a short break for myself and Mrs Confused to New York in 2019 before we hopefully welcome Junior Confused No 2 to the family.

I had hoped to booked our first First Class flights but there are no flights with two redemptions available. So should I keep waiting for availability to open up, book CW and make do given the new service improvements or book the LCY service? We'll be connecting from the regions, LBA if the crappy new schedule works or MAN otherwise.
Are you flexible with dates? If So, I recommend looking at mid-week flights. I took a quick look and a March 20 departure and March 27 return has a few first with 2 or more redemptions available. Alternatively, you can book first outward and CW inward or vice versa. In any case, I would highly recommend first over CW.
Old Apr 15, 18, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Personally, on the JFK route, I'd book CW and keep your extra avios for something else. I find the new J food on the JFK flights arguably better than F, the new bedding is nice, and BA does not fly the best planes for F on that route. CWLCY is great especially outbound, quite special a feel, but not if you are connecting in which case it will simply add a lot of inconvenience and impose you three flights (and some ground transport) outbound. Not worth it.
Blueboys999, Bobbex and sudge27 like this.
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:07 am

Keep in mind, assuming you aren't a GCH, first will get you into the First lounge as well as the Concorde Room. Flying CW will only allow you access to Galleries Club.
Old Apr 21, 18, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Thanks for the advice so far. I've managed to find flights in first in the week I'm looking at in February next year. I have a couple of questions though:
  • Both TATL flights are on 777. Is that ok are am I missing any of the first experience compared with say the 380, 747 etc?
  • I have 1 hr 45 after arriving into LHR before the next flight departs. Is this long enough to experience the CCR?
  • On the outbound the only flight available is to EWR. Does this cause any problem? I'll be returning from JFK so will get CCR at that end.
  • On my return, can I use the CCR again before catching my connection to MAN?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 18, 5:07 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Many
Thanks for the advice so far. I've managed to find flights in first in the week I'm looking at in February next year. I have a couple of questions though:
  • Both TATL flights are on 777. Is that ok are am I missing any of the first experience compared with say the 380, 747 etc?
  • I have 1 hr 45 after arriving into LHR before the next flight departs. Is this long enough to experience the CCR?
  • On the outbound the only flight available is to EWR. Does this cause any problem? I'll be returning from JFK so will get CCR at that end.
Thanks in advance.
  • First in the A380 is much nicer than both the 777 and 747.
  • The CCR you only need 45 minutes in really, it's nice but not worth adding extra time on unnecessarily for, if you've booked a massage you won't really have time to do much in it though, the service is usually quite slow.
  • No
  • Yes, providing you fly back in First
ConfusedByBAEC likes this.
Old Apr 21, 18, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson

Thanks in advance.
The 777 first in my book is the worst F experience as the A380 provides more space, the 747 gives you the 'nose' experience and the 7879 is the most exclusive. Personally, on LON to NYC the best experience has got to be BA001/2 by a long shot as it provides the most exclusive flight experince BA offers. Additionally, whilst CCR is nice it is not worth a potential 2hr immigration ordeal at JFK, especially with only an hour or so in it.