Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA662 Witnessed assault on Crew member @ LCA 15/4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA662 Witnessed assault on Crew member @ LCA 15/4

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Exclamation BA662 Witnessed assault on Crew member @ LCA 15/4

Hi All
just got off the BA662 at LCA and witnessed as vicious assault on a cabin crew member by a passenger, I wont go into details as police were called but i witnessed the events from the buildup in the club cabin before landing to the baggage hall were the assault occurred, this was a vicious attack which multiple punches thrown and the crew member ending up on the floor.

what was shocking apart from this savage behavior is no one apart from the victim cabin crew asked for my details, not the cypriot police, BA or LCA staff

the crew member took my details and i offered to act as a witness although he was badly shaken up and obviously extremely upset,

what should i do, should i approach BA proactively about this
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by ClubflyerLondon
I would. Surely anything that helps bring the perpetrator of this attack to justice has to be applauded.

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Personally I think you should be in touch with BA as soon as possible to get your details logged against the incident which would no doubt already been logged. That way your details shouldn’t vanish. Hopefully BA will be glad to hear your witness account of the assault on its member of staff and pursue it through the courts.

cs
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Yes, I would be informing BA to ensure they have your details. Based on what you have written this is simply unacceptable and the crew member should be given all possible support.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:17 pm

Hi All
just got off the BA662 at LCA and witnessed as vicious assault on a cabin crew member by a passenger, I wont go into details as police were called but i witnessed the events from the buildup in the club cabin before landing to the baggage hall were the assault occurred, this was a vicious attack which multiple punches thrown and the crew member ending up on the floor.

what was shocking apart from this savage behavior is no one apart from the victim cabin crew asked for my details, not the cypriot police, BA or LCA staff

the crew member took my details and i offered to act as a witness although he was badly shaken up and obviously extremely upset,

The police may not be aware of any "build up", those sort of enquiries come later (if at all). If it were me I would make a formal offer to give evidence. Perhaps make that via BA on email/social media (via PM) and see what happens. More than that I can't see you can do.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice, in 20+ years of flying BA i have never witnessed such shocking behavior onboard or at an airport
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Thank you all for the advice, in 20+ years of flying BA i have never witnessed such shocking behavior onboard or at an airport
It sounds absolutely horrendous. Hopefully you won't ever see anything like it again.

Let's hope the situation is dealt with correctly.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you it was horrific to watch several passengers who witnessed the attack with me where deeply shocked too,
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Please contact our duty security manager, I will send you the email address.
Thank you on behalf the the crewmember assaulted.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:36 pm

Yes I think you absolutely should contact BA direct about this. At very least they will need to conduct their own investigation for their employee’s sake and may want to impose some kind of ban on the passenger. They may already be in touch with Cypriot police.

Speaking as a lawyer (though not practising criminal law) can I suggest that as soon as you are able you write down in as much detail as possible your recollection of what happened. Ideally chronologically from your first becoming aware of something happening through to the aftermath, and to the extent that you heard anything said the words used if you can remember. Memories are complex and uncertain things and as time passes details may fall away, or your recollections “polluted” by other things you have heard etc. Some time may pass between now and your being contacted by either BA or the CC or indeed the Cypriot police, even if you are proactive in seeking to contact them. From an evidential perspective the courts place considerable weight on any contemporaneous (or near contemporaneous) record of events. If you feel like it, you could even print it out, sign and date it. Don’t worry about formalities like calling it a “witness statement” or anything. Just get it all down.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you i will respond to your message and follow your advice
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would agree with either writing something down, while your memory is alive to the incident, in particular noting who said what and who started the fight. If typing something isn't what you can do now - this must have been upsetting for you too - just find the voice recorder on your mobile telephone, give the current date and time and give your recollection there. Towards the end you may want to go through the 5 Ws:
  • Who was involved?
  • What happened?
  • When did it take place?
  • Where did it take place?
  • Why did that happen?
to see if everything is covered.

Sadly I know of this happening to other cabin crew, the risk of assault is real and it matters not the airline or country. You have rightly focussed your concern on the cabin crew, but don't forget about yourself too. After you have contacted BA and perhaps made your own record, you also need some time for yourself to get yourself into a better place.

I'm sorry this happened.
TravellerFrequently and AdBoy like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

thanks i have jotted the events down with key facts have also followed CWS very helpful advice
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice CWS, i was shaken up at the time im now more angry at the passenger who carried out this assault
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you for your advice CWS, i was shaken up at the time im now more angry at the passenger who carried out this assault
Yes, the adrenaline kicks in, your sense of awareness is heightened, you go from some signs of shock to anger, and it's not unusual if guilt is somewhere in the third wave ("could I have done something?"). Just be aware of that, keep yourself busy but safe, and perhaps pull in some favours from friends to give you a bit of support. I suspect the victim is in good hands now, and his crew will be on top of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.